Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I was expecting more from TB 2003 promotion!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 01 2003, 13:44

Well,the album is out there,but the promo for it is so bad that I´m not happy with the results we´ve got ´til today!
No premiere!
No tour!
Nothing!
No more singles(the Caveman and Finale would be good choices)!

Mike´s biggest dream was fulfilled and no more fuss about it?
Come on!

I like TB 2003.But its potential hasn´t been well explored!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2003, 14:34

The fact is no one's interested anymore. Certainly no one outside of a handfull of fans was interested in a straightforward rerecording of an album they already had and liked. There's obviously a certain amount of potential that could have been explored a lot better. The 5.1 mix is for me somewhere near the bottom of a potential mountain of opportunity that could have been explored this year, as is the Tube world. I really don't think the idea of releasing singles from TB2003 is a particularly strong one. The caveman section just sounds embarrasingly silly and they tried to make a single out of the finale of TB2 with no real success, why try again? I think what they could have done however is commision a really good and interesting dance mix of the intro, that put together with a really good video possibly could have done well but again you get this rather pathetic and cynical half hearted approach from Mike and/or WEA that is obviously going to go nowhere.  

The problem is Mike does very little if nothing to stimulate interest, this isn't just a problem with TB2003 its a problem thats haunted him for years. Certainly a big premiere 30th aniversary concert would have helped matters a lot but like a lot of other promotional activities that matter (unlike the odd interview with some third rate radio station for example) Mike just doesn't seem interested or bothered and because of that I'm affrraid no one else is. I think he could have done so much for himself and us this year, played live (even a small concert would've been better than nothing) released any number of combination of DVD's, box sets etc but instead he's indulging himself with the Tube world. I'm not hugely knocking the idea but it's not everybodies cup of tea, even within the fan base, and it's certainly not going to set the world alight in the way we would like to see 'something' in the world of MO do. Put it this way I would much rather have a well put togther DVD with live footage and anything of interest (including those awfull promo videos which are actualy quite a good laugh if nothing else) than I would the Tube world, even though I enjoyed and still enjoy MVR.

Including the original TB demos in the 5.1 mix of TB2003 is a much needed and welcome step in the right direction as far as generating interest is concerned but a big part of me thinks its just to little to late. Will TB2003 find a second life for itself in 5.1? I have my doubts but at least Mike has given me a reason to buy it now.
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2003, 17:49

All he got was bad publicity and feelings by releasing TB2003 with copy protection and his heavy handed attitude to his fan base in the Guardian Interview.  :(
Profile PM 
2 replies since Sep. 01 2003, 13:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net