Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I SAY, I SAY, I SAY, I SAY & IN ANSWER, I1 Says  I C 1 GOD OO ID I I  + MOre of< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
0+1(I1) Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 16 2011, 05:18

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 16 2011, 02:55)
OK, let's reply a bit.

1. I don't believe in numerology.
2. I don't believe in hidden meanings in names whatsoever - neither my name, nor yours, not Mike's, not anyone else's.
3. I fiirmly don't believe that Mike was hiding any sort of riddle in the speech at the end of the "Lost Ommadawn Version". If that really was the case, he would've fought tooth and nail to get that particular version released, so that the riddle would have been heard by everyone. Instead, he decided that the spoken bit was just too ludicrous and he omitted it. If there really had been a riddle within the speech which Mike particularily cared about, would he have ever taken the very hard decision to omit the speech completely? I very honestly don't think so.
4. I never said that Mike was a man of nonsense. I only said that the spoken piece we are talking about is jokey and jocular in its very premise, and that I don't think it contains any particular meaning, because (again), if it did, Mike would've never omitted it.
5. I firmly don't believe that Mike has ever hidden any particular secrets in his lyrics. The bag of secrets that is mentioned in FAtC is his personal life, not some obscure secrets he doesn't want to be revealed.
6. I don't believe that the connection between my name and Mike Oldfield's name is very odd, because what they have in common is the fact that both of them have no particular meaning. Of course I am not the person who made the riddle, but neither is Mike - as I said above, I don't believe that Mike ever wrote, hid or released any riddle at all.
7. I don't believe that the 3 in Tr3s Lunas has, yet again, any particular meaning. It's a typical case of l33t. :p
8. Normally an O is not associated with a bottle. It is associated with a glass. Here in Italy we say all the time that uneducated people draw an O with a glass (not with a bottle) because they can't use a pair of compasses. :D

I also did not exacly understand what is supposed to be the ultimate and final answer to the riddle. IDOL GOLD IDOL - what does it mean? That Mike is God, as I've often heard in these boards? Or that Mike is the statue in the Amarok story? Well, if the latter is the case, I'm afraid that nothing could be farthest from the truth. The Amarok story was written by William Murray. Mike is one of the two men in the story, the other being William. The statue is the music - the record itself. Mike is not an idol. His music may well be an idol, since all of us are idolizing it. :D

@14al: what do you mean by Ockam's razor? I've often seen the phrase Occam's razor in lots of written sources, but I never exactly understood what it means.

In reply to Ugos post. as above.
( For those who struggle with the English language also included in brackets is a synopsis of the major points written by one of the "I" who see here )

1. I also have N0 faith in numerology, especially in ones given name and for this reason nowhere in my above writings have I applied its usage.
What you see is that I have used the total numbers of letters (not a value derived at by counting a letters numerical position in the alphabet), I have not even used a name in this consideration, only the uncanny occurrence of the fact that the name mIchaeL GOrDOn OLDfIeLD clearly has these letters in it, I L G O D O O L D I L D  & can in English be but none other than these three words IDOL GOLD IDOL and as stated previously these have the 3 sets of 4 letter words & 3 x 4 = 12 & 1+2=3, if anyone denies this to be true then it is not I/us who needs their head examined.

(What I1 has done is to use the name only as a starting point, he/she has not even used all the available letters, only those that we think are being intimated in the riddle - I L G O D O O L D I L D.  Taken as an anagram, in English, there are three words - IDOL GOLD IDOL.  These three words all have four letters 3 x 4 = 12, 1 + 2 = 3.  This is not numerology but mathematics and we only point it out because we know Mike likes the number 3.)

2.  Well I see little need in answering this point but I will reiterate, this has nothing to do with any other names other than the person who wrote the lyrics so please stop suggesting it does the only name is that of the author of the riddle MGO.

(we do understand your point but I am only saying that assuming this riddle is to be solved, then it is logical to start looking for the answer in the name of the author and Michael Gordon Oldfield is the author.)  

3.  I am not completely sure what ["f" double "i" "i" "rmly"] is supposed to spell, yet could it be you were attempting to write FIRMLY? & if so I can only again say this is what an I SAY, I SAY, I SAY JOKE/RIDDLE is in the UK! & its only because you are not born & bred there that you do not know this.  How do you know that MO did not fight to get his original version included, might it not be that the record company VIRGIN rejected it as a bit to strange, after all it certainly is! is it not? & regarding omitting it completely well that is odiously not the case its here now for us all to hear lovingly cherished as good as the day it was created unlike some pieces in other works!.

(There is no hiding of a riddle.  It is intentionally written as a riddle.  Maybe this is peculiar to the UK and to a certain generation that have had the upbringing where it is familiar.  We don't know that MO didn't fight for the original version.  Maybe he was overruled by the record company Virgin.)

4.  I can only say one should reread his own posts on other topics.

5.  Who said he does not want these things to be revealed?  They are there everywhere if you have the eyes to see and the mind to comprehend.  His bag of secrets is already an open source for those who wish to see.  I never suggested one should look at Mike's private life, just at the works he has presented us with.

6.  Very little point in my replying to this I think you said it all yourself.

7.  So you can not see that the inclusion of the 3 in the word tres replacing the 3E has any meaning at all to you or that the album & game displays a graphical representation of a moon divided in 3 or in 3 phases. One question have you played the game & if so reached the ends for there are many and each end is just a new beginning now that's particularly peculiar.

(we are merely pointing out that replacing the E with a 3 and the graphical representation of a moon divided into 3 phases in the album and the game is a lot of 3s, and it gets one wondering.)

8.  Most the people I have ever known in the UK have from the age of 6 been perfectly capable of competently using a variety of drawing instruments & aids in fact most 6/7 year old could reproduce a perfectly adequate representation of a circular shape, however, by age 10 we would have also gained the knowledge that in order to draw a circle with a compass one must have a centre, if not one may have to resort to a ruler and a bottle/glass.

(we think that is pretty universal but if you do not have a pair of compasses to hand then anything round will suffice, a bottle, glass, cup, bowl, plate, etc.)

Again I never said that the answer to the riddle was IDOL GOLD IDOL, I am quite happy to admit that it could all be coincidental.   [ "what does it mean? That Mike is God" ] seems a strange question to ask me when you seem to be implying that I am a fool, not to be listened to.  I have asked everyone who reads this what could it all mean?  You either think there is something in it or you don't, there is no right or wrong answer, just the question each person has to ask themselves, we have shown you what we think MO has shown us, it's up to you how you interpret 1T.

In order that things are keep clear the riddle ends [ Mike 2  What's got 3.... Oh dear ]  and it is from this that we see in MGO's name that there are 3 x OLD OLD OLD, could this not be why the last expression is Oh dear?  Again I freely admit that it could just be coincidence.

Amarok! I am glad you made the link, yet I/we will God willing come to that later on.

I now think I have done just about all I can possibly do to clarify this topic so unless there is a particular area that needs addressing or anyone requests our help I/we would like to move on now, leaving your eyes to work out what you see.

So GOOD LUCK & STAY HAPPY I1 +3

PS. Lastly I know your last question was not aimed at me Ugo but as it has been used loosely in the thread here in a derogatory manner to cast doubt upon the validity of this topic.  I would suggest a though investigation of it's principles ( Occam's Razor ) be applied here as indeed a proper use of it's somewhat shaky ideas could give truth the space to breathe, as sadly it is being suffocated by negativity.  Think positive people! & ask yourselves what have you got to lose in the END?.

--------------
L◎ST ◎MMADAWN VERSI◎N RIDDLE ANSWER
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
=  I C   1  G◎D   OO ID I I
or replace the L's that were turned in to I's & 1 gets
ID◎L G◎LD ID◎L (4 ANSWER IN FULL + EXPLANATION, C ALBUM SECTION/☮MMADAWN/i-say-i-say-i-say-i-say-in-answer4XXX4Acr⊕ss
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2011, 07:52

Quote (0 @ 1(I1)+Aug. 16 2011, 11:18)
[...]

I SAY, I SAY, I SAY JOKE/RIDDLE is in the UK! & its only because you are not born & bred there that you do not know this.  How do you know that MO did not fight to get his original version included, might it not be that the record company VIRGIN rejected it as a bit to strange, after all it certainly is! is it not? & regarding omitting it completely well that is odiously not the case its here now for us all to hear lovingly cherished as good as the day it was created unlike some pieces in other works!.

[...]

4.  I can only say one should reread his own posts on other topics.

[...]

8.  Most the people I have ever known in the UK have from the age of 6 been perfectly capable of competently using a variety of drawing instruments & aids in fact most 6/7 year old could reproduce a perfectly adequate representation of a circular shape, however, by age 10 we would have also gained the knowledge that in order to draw a circle with a compass one must have a centre, if not one may have to resort to a ruler and a bottle/glass.

I have a vague feeling that I should stop replying in this thread, because all of this is scaring me. And the reason why it's scaring me is that it's becoming awfully similar to a Paul Is Dead situation. (@ eye-one, if you are not aware of what Paul Is Dead is, see here). The Paul Is Dead legend started filtering in Italy during the middle Eighties. I was about fifteen at the time and I remember being dead scared of the simple fact that a pop group could deliberately hide clues in lyrics, album covers, etc. about a truth they don't want anyone to know. This whole thread here, with this insistence on hidden riddles, hidden clues within the music, hidden clues within the lyrics, hidden clues within Mike Oldfield's name, etc., is reminding me of the Paul Is Dead story, and it is scaring me.

However, before I stop, I shall reply to the latest points up here.

1. Yes, I'm not British, but I think I do know the English language well enough to teach it, as I'm a teacher of English. And I know that "I say, I say, I say" in English and especially in the UK is the marker of a joke - not of a riddle. There's a wide difference. Specifically, "I say, I say, I say" marks the beginning of a question whose answer is supposed to be funny. For example: "I say, I say, I say, why does an Italian policeman always go around with a partner? Because he can write and his partner can read!" :laugh: If the question has no answer, as in Mike's case, it's because the question itself is supposed to be funny, and, as the question is nonsensical, the fun is in the fact that the question is supposed to have no answer, not in the fact that the answer is mysterious. Lewis Carroll wrote: "Why is a raven like a writing desk?" (notice that he did not write "I say, I say, I say, why is a raven...") and he never gave an answer.

2. When Mike recorded TB, he put a jocular spoken word piece at the end, which Richard Branson rejected. By the time Mike recorded Ommadawn, he'd become so famous (thanks to the success of TB) that Virgin would release everything coming from him, even nonsense - they wouldn't reject it any longer. The reason why the I Say I Say I Say bit is not in Ommadawn as we know it is that Mike had got tired, by then, of being jocular (especially at the end of an elongated piece of music) and so he deliberately omitted it. So I will correct myself here - I didn't think he had to fight at all to get his spoken piece released, he just didn't want to.

3. I don't like people twisting my words. I never said, neither here nor in other topics, that Mike is a man of nonsense. I said that the spoken piece at the end of the Ommadawn demo (and only that piece, not Mike's entire discography, not his personal beliefs and ideas) is nonsensical, as it is meant as a joke and nothing else. By saying that I consider Mike to be a man of nonsense, you are twisting my words. I think it's wrong to twist other people's words into an argument to support ideas that other people don't share.

4. When I was referring to glasses vs. compasses, I wasn't talking about kids. I was talking about ignorant adults who have no education. "He draws the O with a glass" is a synonym of an uneducated adult.

Finally, I would like to send out a personal message to you, eye-one. I admire you for your courage and the strenght you display in expressing your opinion. I admire you for the richness of the argumentations you use to support your opinion. And there is no trace of a smiley in your text, which means you are entirely serious about what you write and I also admire you for that. I am happy for you about all this, because everyone here is entitled to express his opinion. However, it seems to me that what you are doing here is trying to convince other people who have a different opinion from yours that your opinion is right and theirs is not. Or, in other words, you are trying to impose your opinion on other people. This, I think, is wrong. I'm not sure of whether it's against the rules of a discussion forum, but it just looks wrong to me.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2011, 08:42

Hi Ugo,

Actually Virgin nixed "Sally", I believe, so presumably they could also have vetoed anything prior to that. Amusingly, Lewis Carroll did eventually come up with a solution to his raven and writing-desk riddle: "“Because it can produce a few notes, tho they are very flat; and it is never put with the wrong end in front!”

I've been chatting with I1, incidentally, and he just seeks to clarify things :)

Maybe problems with this sort of thing stem from the fact that "I" and "eye" sound exactly alike only in English. (I'm not being ad homonym :laugh:  )  This obviously doesn't apply to you, Ugo, who speaks English almost as though it were his native tongue  :D
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2011, 09:39

@ nightspore: well, it may be because he is not British, but I have to say that he has a pretty odd way of clarifying things!! :laugh: [@ I1, this is not meant as a personal attack to you.] Also, I have to say that I don't speak English as well as I write it. :D

About "Sally", what's always been said about it, or at least what I've read about it, is that it was a jocular song (i.e. not a jocular spoken-word piece), and its funny singing and subject matter quality did not fit with the style of the album, while, presumably, jocular or funny spoken-word monologues did actually fit with the style of earlier, completely instrumental albums -Platinum being not completely instrumental.) Regarding Carroll's raven riddle, what I know about it (again, from reading) is that it was actually meant to have no answer. I know the answer you quoted - he actually came up with it many years later.

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 16 2011, 11:10

I1 has a fairly trollish attitude -- he ignores parts of people's posts that would be particularly compromising, as when I asked for a credible source explaining by "bottle" represents the letter "O", and why it's acceptable to count a lower case "L" as an upper case "I". If he's not a troll, he acts like one.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2011, 13:26

It's difficult to know for sure what's going on, as per usual on the internet. But I think the only place for sharing unusual beliefs like these is face to face, with basic question and answer dialogue.

0+1 (1I)  has developed some broad and complex theories here, and appears convinced they could be plausable. And maybe Nightspore too. But I don't go along with them. The way I see it, Mike was having a laugh and a joke at the end of a massive masterpiece - and I don't read anything more into it than that.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2011, 14:06

Quote (wiga @ Aug. 16 2011, 13:26)
0+1 (1I)  has developed some broad and complex theories here, and appears convinced they could be plausable.

In fact, in his/her (their) second post, (they?) say (they?) have absolutely no doubt that their theory is correct, and that is, absolutely, what Mike encoded in his riddle. (They?) are not here to ask whether the theory is right or wrong, but exclusively what the "message" means.

Also, Ugo: Ockham's Razor is a scientific concept that, in general terms, says that, in the vast majority of cases, the simplest explanation is the correct one. So, if a theory starts to become too complicated, you slice out all the garbage, and then you're likely to be in the right path. It applies quite well here. With all that explanation for what Mike was doing, just cut out all the garbage and keep the simplest explanation: it's a goddamn joke.

(actually, think about it: the kind of person who comes up with a theory like this is exactly the same kind of person who doesn't get jokes...)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2011, 19:11

Quote (wiga @ Aug. 16 2011, 19:26)
The way I see it, Mike was having a laugh and a joke at the end of a massive masterpiece - and I don't read anything more into it than that.

Ah. OK. That makes two. :laugh: :D

@ Sir M.: thanks a lot for your explanation about Occam... for once you managed to beat Wikipedia in getting straight to the point. :) By the way, counting you as well, that makes three. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2011, 02:36

Sorry I1 I just don't see it.

That makes 4, To me Mike is the essence of sound, That's it That's Enough for Me.

@Ugo..Good point "The Lost Ommadawn" Remained lost because Mike had to start again from scratch (As we all know).

@I1...My theory was just cheap humour (As Ugo calls it)   :laugh:
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2011, 08:02

Quote (Milamber @ Aug. 17 2011, 08:36)
@Ugo..Good point "The Lost Ommadawn" Remained lost because Mike had to start again from scratch (As we all know).

Oh, yes... thanks for reminding me, Cam. Well, that's a further proof of my theory vs. eye-one's. If Mike really meant the riddle to be there in the "I say, I say, I say" speech, he'd have gone through the pains of Hell to re-record it exactly as it was in the "Lost Version". Instead he omitted it entirely. Why? Because. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2011, 06:14

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Aug. 15 2011, 21:17)
For someone who has SUCH a massive English upbringing, you seem to have an abysmal grasp of syntax and punctuation, and a great trouble at reading certain important parts of other people's posts, because you ignored when I asked for documental or scientific references regarding your "well known formula" for solving riddles. I don't want to read your distortions and twisted logic -- I just wanted you to point me to a credible, readable source.

Also I have no problem with artistic renditions of text, as in Mike's album titles, but your writing looks more like drunken l337 5p34k to me. And I don't know what are "those" that you said I recommended, since Gödel, Escher, Bach is ONE book by Douglas Hofstadter. And no, it wouldn't help you to solve Mike's alleged riddles; I recommended it because it's more fruitful to solve actual riddles instead of imaginary ones.

I am somewhat shocked & appalled by your reaction to this Topic and by the aggressive nature displayed to the proposed answer.  In fact to come straight out and accuse anyone of being a TROLL in the manner you did I regard extremely rude & unfounded, now the smoke has settled I am driven to make my comments upon some of the things you have aggressively written.

First regarding your attached post:-
In the opening line of this you seem to be suggesting via a strange use of words (for a person who is going to go on to do what you appear to be attempting to write) which one versed in the English language would never write! (and I never have written or ever will whilst I am in full possession of my faculties) to cast aspersions or say that I am a fool who can not even use simple words in order to bring a clear understanding to its reader.

Well in reply I would, in my defense like to point out that I have never professed to having a "MASSIVE ENGLISH UPBRINGING" as you put it!.  I have been schooled in the UK &  I am from a upper middle class family who gave me the gift of a fairly rounded education in the basics of the English way of life.  Thus nowhere have I claimed to being anything more than a person of average ability, especially in the field of writing in English.

I am thus sorry if when I am writing on a deep and complicated subject I fail to be concise and maybe lose my way here and there especially when rushing to give answers to obscure replies like your one "LOADS OF TROLLS" with no further light shed upon its meaning the syntax was one of little or no understanding to me & I do not think it is worth (--) my bringing up my horrendous use of PUNCtuation but if my posts do not come up to your high expectations of grade A written English I must apologies for offending your eyes with my abysmal words! I will go read your post in order to learn from your creative ability.

You go on to say I ignore reading or responding to your request that I supply you with a credible documentation of the scientific formula I used to unlock the riddle, well I do not know where on earth you got this one from, I purely stated the formula I used was well known in the schools I was taught in and that I had come across riddles of this nature in my youth whilst resident in the UK.

I have however been scouring the web for examples of this type of word play and as of yet not been able to find an example of it, so sorry I at present can not supply such scientific evidence but I have sent the the riddle to all the major authorities on breaking puzzles/riddles etc in the hope that they will have knowledge in this old field of learning & if I get anything back I will of course present you with it.
Again I am sorry to have upset you so much with my writings Mr. Fernando H. Canto (I HOPE I SPELT IT RIGHT) u never know what one coald get wrong in a name & when ones English is so appulling its an up hill drag to get to the point. I1

--------------
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
ID◎L G◎LD ID◎L (4 ANSWER IN FULL + EXPLANATION, C ALBUM SECTION/☮MMADAWN/i-say-i-say-i-say-i-say-in-answer4XXX4Acr⊕ss
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2011, 06:31

Quote (0+1(I1) @ Aug. 23 2011, 06:14)
Mr. Fernando H. Canto (I HOPE I SPELT IT RIGHT) u never know what one coald get wrong in a name & when ones English is so appulling its an up hill drag to get to the point. I1

Can you hear the bells, Fernando  :laugh:

I1, I've sent you an email.
Profile PM 
Sammy Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2011, 08:21

Hrm... an interesting albeit a tad complex theory... re. the original message in this thread

However I'm personally inclined to believe the whole "I say I say I say" thing was just Mike being silly in a mock music hall way. Period. Perhaps not a very good idea, since (luckily, if you ask me) it was dropped eventually - but maybe being stuck all by yourself in a studio with a bottle of whiskey sometimes results in silly ideas.

IMHO there's no "hidden message" there whatsoever, no offense to anyone intended. Just my 2 cents, now I'm off to borrow a razor from Mr Occam.

edit: seems the said razor was already wielded in an earlier message...
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2011, 09:56

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Aug. 16 2011, 18:10)
I1 has a fairly trollish attitude -- he ignores parts of people's posts that would be particularly compromising, as when I asked for a credible source explaining by "bottle" represents the letter "O", and why it's acceptable to count a lower case "L" as an upper case "I". If he's not a troll, he acts like one.

How fascinating! I see you have continued to add to the topic which you wrote in previous posts was not worth your continuing to read or make comment on, and you have made further snide remarks about me being one of your deranged imaginary creatures by nature.  Well I think by now people who are reading this thread will have worked out that I have shown a lot of patience & tolerance toward these quite frankly unfounded remarks and attacks upon my character.  So to you who does not find any point in anyone else's opinion & only creates confusion not understanding in their posting of MOLE like writings, deliberately set to undermine the posts on this topic by popping up and creating holes, having very little eyesight and then, like pests, disappearing back down those holes when the light comes on I say enough is enough.  I/we can accept it could be wrong and would love for anyone to prove it, but not one comment you have made so far has had an ounce of proof or logic to outweigh our understanding here or to provide an alternative.  Having the self proclaimed rank of sir does not raise your opinion above all others or justify your arrogant behaviour.

When it comes to our answer I must point out that yes some of it is strange and it could all be a very unusual set of coincidences also had this come from Sir Paul McCartney I would have thought little of it, but from a man who puts the all seeing eye on one palm and Greek letters on the other, in a photograph showing one hand in shade, the other in bright light and looks to camera with such a serious, stern face, his arms held out in the shape of a cross & the picture is cut to accentuate this, strangely! yes I do wonder what he might be trying to tell us all. http://tubular.net/forums....9980496  
 I can assure you all this is only the beginning of what you will see if you go take a look.

To end I would like to add your attack on my sense of humour is quite laughable as it comes from one who calls the I SAY I SAY lines a joke, not a riddle, to find this funny must make you a riveting person to spend time with.  I myself would rather look for humour in the comedy thread here or in that which comes from the intellectual minds of my friends.

--------------
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2011, 10:08

My goodness, I thought this thread had even been deleted already. It's begging for a lock or a deletion.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2011, 10:11

Before I go any further in replying to the remarks made by others here I would like to take this opportunity to apologise because, having carefully re-read my original post and taken in to account comments made to me via e-mail, I can now see that my original posting on this topic may have been better received had it been worded differently. I admit my syntax and written English was not the best it could possibly have been and for this I again apologise.

Therefore I will soon be presenting you all with what will hopefully be a much more concise and understandable representation of our ideas.  But in the mean time I will continue with trying to answer the posts above.

--------------
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Aug. 23 2011, 10:27

I'd prefer not to delete the topic, it has some interesting ideas and comments in it. I1, I'm glad you are going to try and use less of the weird text formatting, the forum guidelines state that the forum is "English language" to try and make posts accessible to as many people as possible and the encoding you were using wasn't helping you get your message across at all.  SirM, if I1 is trying to get his views across in a reasonable manner and sticks to this one topic to do it then I don't reckon that counts as trolling and he does now seem to be trying to respond to some of the points raised? Suggest you both just let the "troll" comment thing drop and see if this topic can remain civilised.

For the record, I use the "I say I say" line as my signature at the moment because I love the Lost Ommadawn demo and I seem to be the only person in the known universe who thinks the voicover *improves* that section :D I don't personally think the words mean anything beyond being a bit of sillyness (I think the Ommadawn = the fool has been mentioned before? ) from Mike using some random numbers.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2011, 11:39

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 17 2011, 15:02)
Quote (Milamber @ Aug. 17 2011, 08:36)

Oh, yes... thanks for reminding me, Cam. Well, that's a further proof of my theory vs. eye-one's. If Mike really meant the riddle to be there in the "I say, I say, I say" speech, he'd have gone through the pains of Hell to re-record it exactly as it was in the "Lost Version". Instead he omitted it entirely. Why? Because. :laugh:

Dear Milamber & Ugo
I can find no evidence that the so called lost version was completely lost to Mike, I was under the impression that it was only lost to us, that he possessed the demo version that was rejected by the powers to be at virgin.

In my search here & on the other MO sites I came upon a picture of what was called Ommadawn Demo in an old white paper sleeve in heavyweight vinyl like the copies used for test demos in the old days, the person who had posted the photograph said it was an original copy of what we now know to be called Ommadawn Lost Version.

Because of this & the fact that I could find no evidence to doubt this person I assumed they were giving truthful evidence that the piece was not completely lost.  If the truth is that there is evidence that this is not the case I must ask that you bring to light what you know as I can find no such proof.

I will now assume your knowledge is correct & if so point out that Ugo's comment (in attachment) regarding "pains of hell to re-record it exactly as it was in the Lost Version" leads one to ask how do we know the riddle was not worded the same?.

Furthermore to this if it was truly lost I find it an amazing feet of memory!  remembering what one wrote some 35 years ago let alone the words to a riddle that had no meaning! in my experience in a drunken state remembering what silly things people did the night before is beyond the average capabilities of a person on any sort of drugs, especially if this was just a nonsensical drunken set of none connected words that did not mean anything to you.

To me this would be like asking someone to remember all the names of the people you meet at a distant relatives wedding that you only ever spoke to or of that one time & 35 years on being asked to recite their names.

The other alternative is that this really did have meaning and sense, therefore it would have been easy to remember or of course Mike may have made it all up in the last year or so, whilst in a perfectly sober state.

The point I am making here is that your argument that the piece was lost is really no argument at all in fact it favours the lyrics having been either ones of meaning/sense or having not been produced whilst in a inebriated state of intoxication.

I think that deals with most of what has been written so far.
I would now like to thank Sammy for looking over the topic and the polite nature of their post I do hope you will take time to read the future posts on this topic as I/we are hoping to shed a lot more light here soon...

--------------
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
Profile PM 
Sammy Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2011, 12:47

Hi 0+1(I1),

Well... as said I don't really think there is any meaning to be discovered, and (I'm saying this in a quite friendly way) I'm not really even interested. In zen-like fashion, I just like the music  :cool: and prefer not to try and find any secret or hidden messages in it.

However I don't think you're actually trolling; based on your responses your opinion is of course genuine even if myself or some of the other posters here do not really share it.

So please do not take it as an offence that I'm unlikely to comment on this "hidden message" issue any further - it's just not my cup of tea...

Cheers, Sammy
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2011, 13:08

The weird name guy was entirely dismissive when I demanded factual evidence of the so called "formula" for solving riddles and disregarded me completely, and now he is asking others for proof?

Geez, folks, you shouldn't overestimate the average Internet guy.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
94 replies since Aug. 12 2011, 20:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net