Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I recommend this MO DVD....< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Old Mikefield Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 21 2006, 15:46

check this out at Amazon and get it, no MO fans collection should be without it.. 1980- MO live at Montreaux. Its also worth getting just to see him fk-up the fast descending hammer-on/pull-off solo in Ommadawn, I think his fingers just slip off the fret board, but its a godawful moment, but he gets it back brilliantly. Kind of reassuring to know that genius can also screw up!

http://www.amazon.com/gp....e&n=130

--------------
Live each day as if it were your last, for one day you're sure to be right.
My Music Projects > HTTP://www.morehuman-thanhuman.com
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: June 21 2006, 17:00

Oh, yes!!
Montreux must be his best dvd for sure, indeed! :cool:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2006, 19:44

All variations shouldnt be counted as mistakes I think(although there are some)

I got my copy today and as Sysiyo mentioned earlier it isnt available in any Finnish shops, so i asked my nearest library to order it and it cost me no more than 1€ for picking it up!

Its very good. Maggie Reilley`s parts are mostly bad but I think its not her fawlt-some pieces could have been arrengent differently. :/  It just gets too busy from time to time with too many melodies playing simultaneously. Ofcourse this kind of thing is often the backbone of Mike`s genious, but better made in a studio with time and thought.

Mirage and Ommadawn are my best 2 at the moment.
And I loved the drum solo!
Profile PM 
SentinelGard Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2006, 23:16

I hope to be getting a copy soon now its available in Australia.

--------------
"Onwards & Upwards'"
Profile PM WEB 
jhaible Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2007, 08:43

Quote (Old Mikefield @ June 21 2006, 15:46)
check this out at Amazon and get it, no MO fans collection should be without it.. 1980- MO live at Montreaux. Its also worth getting just to see him fk-up the fast descending hammer-on/pull-off solo in Ommadawn, I think his fingers just slip off the fret board, but its a godawful moment, but he gets it back brilliantly. Kind of reassuring to know that genius can also screw up!

http://www.amazon.com/gp....e&n=130

Wonderful DVD.

JH.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2007, 11:22

It's worth buying,Mike seemed quite relaxed on his performance on this DVD  ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
nushky Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2007, 11:51

Recently there have been quite a number of performances of this tour (European adenture tour in 81) available on the net through bittorrent, youtube.... So far, from what I have seen, the show at Montreux is really the best : the band was really committed to play at its best level, especially mike : he looks very concentrated, very focused during this show. As it was mentioned, during the *bug* in the ommadawn pull-off solo, it's funny to see the look on Mike's face when he realizes the mistake : it's nearly imperceptible, it's difficult to see on his face that for half a second or so, he is worried about his mistake before catching on to finish the solo.
Also a funny moment is when he makes the mistake at the beginning of platinum : tim cross gives him a long, serious look as of reproach, at which mike replies with two brief but commanding glances, kind of "ok I made a mistake, now quit staring at me, I am the boss !"
Profile PM 
imhotep Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2007, 13:20

I love this DVD and the mistakes Mike does adds to the realness of this show. But you almost feel bad for him when he does them. How many big mistakes are there? Like 3 of them?
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: April 12 2007, 02:19

I've been watching this DVD every day (and sometimes twice a day) since it arrived from Amazon last week. I'm in love with it. I was actually aware of its existence last year, but I didn't feel a need to own it until I recently caught some of it on YouTube.

Having been a fan of Ommadawn, Tubular Bells II, and The Best of Mike Oldfield: Elements, I somehow neglected to expand my Oldfield music library until last year when I added Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge, Incantations, Amarok, and Songs of Distant Earth to my CD collection. All of which I still have yet to thoroughly explore. It's a bit daunting to be honest - so much to listen to. And seeing this performance makes me want to get Platinum as well!

I find solitude and darkness conducive for immersing oneself in a lot of Oldfield's work, and now that I have an ipod, I've been catching up on what I'd been missing during my downtime just before sleeping.

This DVD was a bit of an eye opener for me. I'd never before realized that Oldfield is a) such a brilliant guitarist, and b) such gorgeous eye-candy.

(ETA)

The flub on "Ommadawn" has been mentioned several times, I think, and I love MO's nearly imperceptible 'Oh, crap' expression at that moment. It's a really thrilling performance, though. As attached as I am to the studio recording (it's the only album - from any artist - I cannot live without), there were times where the guitar sounded subdued in relation to the other instruments, so I love how the guitar is so front & center, here. And, although the drum segment doesn't do much for me, the following repeat of the guitar solo is very satisfying.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
8 replies since June 21 2006, 15:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net