Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I noticed a slightly different cover, TB2 or TBII?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Jammer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 05 2004, 18:28

As I played the TB2 CD through Windows Media Player it automatically downloaded a pic of the cover art. What I noticed in this pic though was a lack of roman numerals on the II

I assume that the correct writing of it is using roman numerals in the same way that Taurus II is written. Is this the US equivalent of the cover? Are there some versions of TB3 without roman numerals too?
Profile PM 
DarkFeline Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2005, 04:57

This must be the album cover that you're talking about.

Someone once wrote on the Tubular Bells II Wikipedia article that it was named as "Tubular Bells 2" in the United States to avoid customers thinking that it was actually the eleventh album in the Tubular Bells series. Anyone knows if this is actually true or not?

--------------
Who's your mummy, where she go?
Profile PM WEB 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2005, 09:28

Quote (Andylkl @ Nov. 26 2005, 09:57)
Someone once wrote on the Tubular Bells II Wikipedia article that it was named as "Tubular Bells 2" in the United States to avoid customers thinking that it was actually the eleventh album in the Tubular Bells series. Anyone knows if this is actually true or not?

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  PROBABLY!!

No offence to Americans on this site, but all the jokes we have about Americans, this fits the bill perfectly  ;)

I'm thinking...........Dead ringers =)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2005, 16:00

You know U2's Boy's cover was not allowed...
A young boy half naked in the states... hum

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2005, 18:50

I believe that the play/film "The Madness of King George III" had the numerals removed in the US because the marketers thought that no-one would go if they hadn't seen the first two in the series.

The Thin Man
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 16 2007, 13:56

Quote (Andylkl @ Nov. 26 2005, 04:57)

Ah. So, that's the reason for the 'Tubular Bells 2' alternate label? Our (the U.S.' ) suspect literacy?  :laugh:

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: June 16 2007, 14:15

Quote (The Bell(end) @ Nov. 26 2005, 09:28)
No offence to Americans on this site, but all the jokes we have about Americans, this fits the bill perfectly  ;)

Yeah, same thoughts here :D

The King George thing is almost true -- it's called Madness of King George III in Australia, but everywhere else the III is missing:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0110428/

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 16 2007, 15:20

Roman numerals stories are pretty fun. There's one about the Intel Pentium, too. The Pentium family evolved with Pentium, Pentium Pro, Pentium II, Pentium III and... ... Pentium 4. It prompted one of my college teachers to say exactly that people from the US don't understand Roman numerals very well. Imagining seeing "Pentium IV" being released - "Oh, it must be worse than Pentium III! See? The last two bars have even fallen to the sides!"

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
7 replies since July 05 2004, 18:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net