Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I need orchestral hergest ridge, :(< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Iksion Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 11 2007, 04:59

Can someone send me a orchestral hergest ridge?? I woud so like to hear it!! Thx anyway :D

--------------
Im crazy old man,
Im dressed in red,
I drink sky like honey,
enough i have said.
Profile PM 
cAveMan Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2007, 07:01

here, try one of these torrents.... use whichever has the most seeders, but they both contain Orch HR and many more!

enjoy ;)

Link1
Link2
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2007, 07:08

I have orchestral Hergest Ridge, perhaps we could arrange a trade if you have anything rare of mikes?

Ryan Yard Contemporary Composer

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Iksion Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2007, 08:41

I cant download it caveman :( on the first link it says event log full and on second one when i clik download torent it just download somethin strange for a one secound :S

--------------
Im crazy old man,
Im dressed in red,
I drink sky like honey,
enough i have said.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2007, 17:13

@ Iksion: to download the torrents you need a piece of software called "Bit Torrent client". The best ones are BitTorrent and Azureus, you can easily find them with a Google search.
However, I have Orch. HR on mp3, if you want I can send it to you. But in my purely subjective opinion it isn't worth it... it's a mess. :D However, if you want mp3s of it, please PM me.

@ Ryan: I have plenty of rare stuff by Mike, but mostly on mp3s. If mp3s are fine for you, please PM me, maybe we can arrange a trade. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 11 2007, 17:28

Out of interest where did the recordings originally come from if they're not widely available?  You must have found them somehow... :)

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
SimonUK Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2007, 17:51

Hi Moz. Please see the Space Movie soundtrack forum (a few lines below this one)for an explanation of the source of The Orchestral Hergest Ridge recordings.

--------------
"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live"
(Josh Homme, from Queens Of The Stone Age - 'Go With The Flow').
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Feb. 19 2007, 17:31

This is from the AML FAQs:

2.7 Was an orchestral Hergest Ridge ever recorded?

The premiere concert, in December 1974, was covered by the BBC. There are bootleg copies of this recording around - probably mono only. The orchestra was The Royal Philharmonic conducted by David Bedford, and the guitarist was Steve Hillage.

Another concert of the work was performed on May 5th 1976 by The Scottish National Orchestra, again conducted by Bedford, with Hillage on guitar. (Andy Summers - later of The Police - took part in other performances). It was recorded by Radio Clyde (a Scottish station) and Virgin bought the rights.

Mike never took part in the concert series and sadly Hergest Ridge is rarely played at his own concerts. The Scottish concert shows up on The Space Movie because Virgin owned the rights to it, and is more likely to be a stereo recording. Probably due to a veto from Mike, it has never had a proper release.

There was an acetate of The Space Movie soundtrack, but it was not the same as the film soundtrack. It is just a special mix of elements that were already available to Virgin (and does not include the Incantations out-takes heard in the film), but of course - as the album was never released, it is a very rare acetate. No test pressing was ever made.

Phil Newell was given the job of putting together the double LP in 1980. It had a Townhouse label on it and I'm pretty sure only 3 of the 4 sides had grooves - so in order to hear all of it Phil had to dig out the tape for me. Basically it is all original music with mixed-in quotations and sounds from the space race era.

Here is the tracklisting:

Side 1:
Orchestral Hergest Ridge [extracts from Parts 1 & 2] (19:08)

Side 2:
Ommadawn [extracts from Part 2 then Part 1] (28:03)

Side 3:
Orchestral Tubular Bells [extracts from Parts 1 & 2] (26:46)

Side 4:
Incantations [extracts from Parts 1 - 4] (27:05)

The version of Orchestral Hergest Ridge on Side 1 includes 2 minutes of Part 1 and most of Part 2, with the Martian Song (also known as the "thunderstorm"), spliced in from the original album version.

Credit: David Porter, dporter2@compuserve.com, Marcus Junglas, junglas@student.uni-kl.de, Paul Harris, paul@mikeoldfield.org.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2007, 12:00

very interesting stuff...
shame he never released it, as Orchestral HR part 2, in my opinion, is far better than Orchestral TBells.  :)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2015, 08:26

Inkanta, the official programme of the concert performed by The Scottish National Orchestra has September 4th 1975 instead of May 5th 1976

Y

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
9 replies since Feb. 11 2007, 04:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net