Jesse Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 02 2011, 10:35

I like sushi
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2012, 17:24

Honestly I think I like Tr3s Lunas less than all these things, though in some cases not by a wide margin. I used to hate christmas but don't any more. I'm not a big fish eater at all but I appreciate the aesthetic aspect in sushi. I'd say Light + Shade has both higher ups and lower downs than Tr3s Lunas, but for the ups, I think I like it slightly more (that said I haven't listened to either in a long time).

Life itself and trees are things I definitely love a lot more than Tr3s Lunas. :D

I hope this reply wasn't too serious, it's a fun topic, good job XM!
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2012, 17:29

Quote (Ugo @ Feb. 10 2011, 17:11)
I love Tr3s Lunas much more than I hate The Killing Fields. :laugh: :D :laugh:

:D
Very good, Ugo, very good. Chapeau.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2012, 19:32

Quote (Holger @ Feb. 26 2012, 17:24)
Honestly I think I like Tr3s Lunas less than all these things, though in some cases not by a wide margin. I used to hate christmas but don't any more. I'm not a big fish eater at all but I appreciate the aesthetic aspect in sushi. I'd say Light + Shade has both higher ups and lower downs than Tr3s Lunas, but for the ups, I think I like it slightly more (that said I haven't listened to either in a long time).

Life itself and trees are things I definitely love a lot more than Tr3s Lunas. :D

I hope this reply wasn't too serious, it's a fun topic, good job XM!

:) All this has put me in the mood to play TL again!
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2012, 21:27

Quote (nightspore @ Feb. 27 2012, 01:32)
:) All this has put me in the mood to play TL again!

Great, I'm glad!  :)
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2012, 23:40

Also, I'll have to visit this very TLish place:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Ballard
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2012, 13:07

TLish indeed, nice find!

Also, I was just thinking that while Tr3s Lunas vs trees is a no-brainer, Ommadawn vs trees would be a really tough one to answer. I'd probably still go with the trees, but life without either would be a lot bleaker.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2012, 18:51

Agreed, Holger.

Another interesting thing about Lake Ballard is its resemblance to locations in JG Ballard's Vermilion Sands - particularly the island in the sand-lake "Lizard Key". TL has another element in common with JG Ballard: Dali (the daliphants).

I've checked out some of the other sculptures by the artist responsible for the Lake Ballard sculptures, and of course I'm not surprised.  :D
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2012, 17:50

Quote (nightspore @ Feb. 28 2012, 00:51)
Another interesting thing about Lake Ballard is its resemblance to locations in JG Ballard's Vermilion Sands - particularly the island in the sand-lake "Lizard Key". TL has another element in common with JG Ballard: Dali (the daliphants).

Well, Ballard is great (not familiar with Vermilion Sands though) but I'd never have expected TL, of all things, to have anything to do with him at all.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2012, 18:48

Yes, I imagine any connection would be tangential at best... The Buggles did a song about Vermilion Sands, of course.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2012, 18:41

@ nightspore: maybe J.G. Ballard made a trip to Australia before writing that book? He might have been inspired by a location carrying his own name. :D Apart from this, judging from that image, Lake Ballard looks to me more like Roger Dean than Tr3s Lunas. Maybe he made a trip to Oz as well. :D By the way, in 2002 he designed the cover for an album by a band called Vermilion :O.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2012, 19:13

:laugh:

I understand JG Ballard was hard pressed to leave Shepparton, much less make his way to Australia. Interestingly, they've found an unpublished Vermilion Sands story among his papers; it's in the British Library now.

I thought Roger Dean would have been in the retirement home by now, along with Bruce Pennington and Chris Foss... I initially thought the skinny figures were an allusion to the Australian painter Drysdale, until something tapped my mental shoulder  :p
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2012, 19:35

I don't know about Pennington, but Foss and Dean are apparently still active. Dean designed the cover for Yes' latest album Fly From Here from 2011 - the music is near shit :D (Geoff Downes from the Buggles and that silly Canadian guy are in), but the cover is not. :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2012, 23:48

Thanks for the warning, Ugo. :)  Actually, Drysdale was also influenced by Dali, so my initial assumption about the statues at Lake Ballard wasn't too far off after all.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2012, 21:04

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 02 2012, 00:35)
I don't know about Pennington, but Foss and Dean are apparently still active. Dean designed the cover for Yes' latest album Fly From Here from 2011 - the music is near shit :D (Geoff Downes from the Buggles and that silly Canadian guy are in), but the cover is not. :cool:

Got to check that Yes album out - "Fly From Here" was a Buggles/Yes cast-off from the Drama years, a demo was resurrected for the Buggles CD re-issue.

And back on topic, the TL Aussie landscape with the stick statues/figures - Gormley was getting really famous around the time Mike was making TL so i guess his statues were an influence on the game images.

Gormleys

Either played TL or great minds think alike!

"I love TL MORE than I love..USA remakes of British TV shows"

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2012, 22:18

What an impressive picture - I wouldn't be surprised if the Origin is somewhere near that island  :D

It's 700 km from where I live - I could drive there in a day. I'll put it on my list.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2012, 03:46

@ Andy: very nice pic, I definitely must make a trip there sooner or later. :) Regarding Fly From Here, I'd recommend you to check it out only if you're strictly a Yes fan, because most of it (although very well played) is compositionally weak and badly produced. I never thought Yes did their best with Trevor Horn, in fact I think they were close to doing their worst. Trevor Horn is an excellent producer and he did lots of wonderful stuff (including TBII, of course), but I think he's just unfit for Yes. And Mr. BenoƮt David, for all the good things that everybody (including Jon Anderson) said about him, is obviously not Jon Anderson. :) Anyway, if you like Yes' Eighties phase (which I don't), Fly From Here is well worth a listen.

--------------
Profile PM 
36 replies since Feb. 08 2011, 09:29 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net