a traffic ticket 8  [25.00%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I love Tr3s Lunas as much as I love...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 10 2008, 04:59

Kittens for me. Sometimes cute and fun in small doses but mostly scratchy and messy.

Kittens can probably play the saxophone better mind you.... :p

Alan, completely agree with you about the "range of this mans creativity". This is just one of the albums that slightly dissapointed me (I prefer the music in its game context).

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 10 2008, 06:00

Having never played the game I can`t really comment on that side of it.But when Mike put this album out it seemed to me like he was almost apologising for it in a way.Especially with all that "the record company made me do it" talk he was conveying at the time.Consequently when I did finally get round to buying the album my expectations were pretty low I have to admit.But to say I was pleasently surprised by it would be putting it mildly actually.Imo I think it ranks as one of Mike`s  strongest albums of his post Virgin years.I agree that "saxamophone" is a little bit cheesy..But then so were the vocoders on QE2 and FMO..And so was the "Mike does Enigma" sections of Songs Of Distant Earth etc etc...In fact the day Mike manages to make an album without some kind of cheese factor going on will be the day that the udders run dry Imo.It`s never gonna` happen... Of course one man`s stilton is another man`s Dairylea triangle.And there have been a number of moments in Mike`s career where I`ve felt he`s over stepped the primula myself,and moved into babybel territory.As for Tres Lunas though,?I think it`s a cracker!(sorry!;)

They`re bloody dairylea mad them kids.. :p
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: April 10 2008, 09:04

Quote (Dirk Star @ April 10 2008, 10:00)
Having never played the game I can`t really comment on that side of it.But when Mike put this album out it seemed to me like he was almost apologising for it in a way.Especially with all that "the record company made me do it" talk he was conveying at the time.Consequently when I did finally get round to buying the album my expectations were pretty low I have to admit.But to say I was pleasently surprised by it would be putting it mildly actually.Imo I think it ranks as one of Mike`s  strongest albums of his post Virgin years.I agree that "saxamophone" is a little bit cheesy..But then so were the vocoders on QE2 and FMO..And so was the "Mike does Enigma" sections of Songs Of Distant Earth etc etc...In fact the day Mike manages to make an album without some kind of cheese factor going on will be the day that the udders run dry Imo.It`s never gonna` happen... Of course one man`s stilton is another man`s Dairylea triangle.And there have been a number of moments in Mike`s career where I`ve felt he`s over stepped the primula myself,and moved into babybel territory.As for Tres Lunas though,?I think it`s a cracker!(sorry!;)

They`re bloody dairylea mad them kids.. :p

Sounds like a right load of Cheddar to me!!!!

There isn't any cheese on Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge Ommadawn and for that matter Incantations (unless you mean the cover, but that's naff rather than cheese). I wonder why cheese is considered naff, I like cheese, (and beer too), but maybe there's a big difference between Cheese and cheesy.  I would describe Mike's albums as Farmhouse Mature Cheddar, very strong , well crafted/made and very tasty, and not only that very addictive yuo keep coming back foir more.
Other albums by Mike are like a Caerphilly or Lancashire, mild but tasty all the same, doesn't quite have the bite, but still very enjoyable. Amorok is like those is it "Frubes" the cheese in a tube like packet that appeal to kids, just plain weird        :O  :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 11 2008, 03:13

[quote=moonchildhippy,April 10 2008, 09:04][/quote]
There isn't any cheese on Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge Ommadawn and for that matter Incantations (unless you mean the cover, but that's naff rather than cheese).

I agree with all of that actually.I don`t think Mike really started to factor the cheese in big style until about 79/80.Imo he stayed pretty much cheese free in fact up until that point,barring the odd Krafty single here and there.Obviously when Mike went through that whole re-birth thing he must`ve felt a lot more at cheese with himself.And off he duly went straight off to the cheeseboard of dubious delights never to return..Aaaah but would we have had it any other way??Tis better to be Edamned whilst brie of spirit,than to tread too caerphilly in chains I always say...Although I`m kind of wishing now that I had`nt..       :D

And yes the cover of Incantations isn`t the best I agree.Although in defence of Mike that whole jacket and jeans combo he`s sporting must be about 7/8 years ahead of it`s time there.None of yer new wave skinny tie and drainpipe nonesense for our Mikey boy,he was so far ahead of those dudes it does`nt bear thinking about...You just know that that Jacket will have had leather patches sewn into the elbows though don`t you!?Sure that whole ear-ring thing going on in the gatefold looks cool on the surface Mike,but can you tell me why I can`t see the corner of your left elbow on the cover?.Mind you I could`ve done with seeing that jacket make a re-appearance for the Voyager cover.Truly a concept so far up the cheese concept ladder it was practically yoghurt..."My eyes! My Eyes!!!"
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: April 11 2008, 04:36

Yep maybe that fashion was ahead of it's time, but to look at the cover of Incantations, Mike  doesn't look very happy, and he seems to have aged by 20 years. ( I always thought he was a bit older,being about 26/7 when he made Tubular Bells, but I found out it was released 10 days after his 20th birthday) To  me that makes me think of bearded types or former RAF Squadron Leaders riding around in their classic MG's, or certain Jaguar models.  I tend to think of Jags as an old man whose done alright for himself type  car,walnut dashboard, pipe smoke , apart from  the XKR model, now that is stylish, but I'd go for an Aston Martin DB9 or a BMW 3 series   :)  :D if it was me.      If that's what this Exegisis or whatever it's called does then they can keep it. Oh yeah  about the cover of  Voyager I disagree
with you on that Mike definitely lookls better without a jacket :)  :D , but for some strange reason the best photo shoots weren't used on the album.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 11 2008, 05:51

[quote=moonchildhippy,April 11 2008, 04:36][/quote]
Oh yeah  about the cover of  Voyager I disagree
with you on that Mike definitely lookls better without a jacket :)  :D , but for some strange reason the best photo shoots weren't used on the album.

:D Had a feeling you would say that mind.I think that whole "squadran leader" Oldfield look may have to come back out of mothballs though if he`s to repeat any more "by the seaside" cover shots in the future.Especially given his whole "milk and chocolate" diet that he appears to be on nowadays anyway.Milk!...Chocolate...And middle aged "spread" (no more cheese puns please)   It happens to us all I guess.

I`m trying very hard now not to imagine what those unused Voyager shots were like..But dammit those slightly bronzed and pertruding nipples are taking some suppressing here.Just as I was wondering what to have for my lunch as well..    :laugh:

Errr so what was this thread about again?Oh yeah Tres Lunas sorry great stuff..How the hell does he make something as simple as Viper sound so brilliantly spellbinding?And despite it`s simplicity it always leaves me wanting to hear more of it as well,like he had`nt even begun to explore it somehow.Worth the price of the album just for that track alone imo.But in all reality that`s barely scratching at the surface as there`s so much more besides.And now of course I`m left with no option except to listen to it again in it`s entirety...    :)
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: April 27 2008, 05:07

Quote (Dirk Star @ April 11 2008, 05:51)
And now of course I`m left with no option except to listen to it again in it`s entirety...

It's good to know I'm not the only TL lover. Actually, I'm beginning to frighten myself a little as I can't get enough of it. Lately, it just seems to be the perfect accompaniment to everything I do.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2010, 03:37

Toss up between ice cream & chocolate.

TL, is so chilled out and laid back that it's almost horizontal! :)
Profile PM 
Rider in the Blue Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2010, 18:29

I voted ice cream. I like the album, but not half as much as i enjoy  Oldfield's earlier works.

The only track I can't endure is 'Thou Art In Heaven' and I almost always skip this track. The vocalist sounds as if she's throwing up with the gutturals in that faux-Germanic accent. It's a little like finding a dead fly in one's vanilla cornet. :D  'Thou Art In Heaven', IMO, spoils an otherwise enjoyable album.

--------------
"Our hope's with you..."
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2010, 19:08

Quote (Rider in the Blue @ Dec. 27 2010, 18:29)
I voted ice cream. I like the album, but not half as much as i enjoy  Oldfield's earlier works.

The only track I can't endure is 'Thou Art In Heaven' and I almost always skip this track. The vocalist sounds as if she's throwing up with the gutturals in that faux-Germanic accent. It's a little like finding a dead fly in one's vanilla cornet. :D  'Thou Art In Heaven', IMO, spoils an otherwise enjoyable album.

Playing the game definitely makes you respond more positively to the album. Before playing the album, I really only liked "Firefly", "Turtle Island", and "To be Free". "Thou Art in Heaven" makes me laugh more than anything else: the vocalist ounds like some belligerent Cold War era Russian spy, or that woman who sings on "Time Warp" from The Rocky Horror Picture Show. I still think MO should have used the best bits from TL and TL2 on the one album.
Profile PM 

Posted: Dec. 28 2010, 01:45

Quote (nightspore @ Dec. 28 2010, 00:08)
Playing the game definitely makes you respond more positively to the album. Before playing the album, I really only liked "Firefly", "Turtle Island", and "To be Free". "Thou Art in Heaven" makes me laugh more than anything else: the vocalist ounds like some belligerent Cold War era Russian spy, or that woman who sings on "Time Warp" from The Rocky Horror Picture Show. I still think MO should have used the best bits from TL and TL2 on the one album.

Now I'm imagining a Russian female shotputter standing in my kitchen commanding me to be in heaven! :-)

I've been exploring the game for a couple of weeks now, and I've only come across one track that's on the album so far. I think it would have been a better album for including the game music; there's some good pieces in there, and I've captured a couple via Windows Sound Recorder. Apart from 'Thou..', I'm warming to Tr3s Lunas. :-)

--------------
"Our hope's with you..."
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2010, 02:28

Search for the "Tres Lunas 2" bootleg, Rider. Some of the people on this forum will be able to tell you how.

All the music on the album is in the game, with the exception of "Landfall" and "To Be Free".

Have a look at some of the guides on the forum: they'll tell you that by shooting ringheads in odd ways you can visit the Daliphants and also take a trip out to the volcano.
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2010, 10:24

Ice cream.....I like it every now and again....
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2010, 13:16

Salt....I love it as much as salt..../\....a pinch of salt.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2010, 19:47

Quote (wiga @ Dec. 28 2010, 13:16)
Salt....I love it as much as salt....

Phooey to the risk of high blood pressure, I say!  :laugh:
Profile PM 

Posted: Dec. 28 2010, 22:24

Quote (nightspore @ Dec. 28 2010, 07:28)
Search for the "Tres Lunas 2" bootleg, Rider. Some of the people on this forum will be able to tell you how.

All the music on the album is in the game, with the exception of "Landfall" and "To Be Free".

Have a look at some of the guides on the forum: they'll tell you that by shooting ringheads in odd ways you can visit the Daliphants and also take a trip out to the volcano.

Thanks, Nightspore, I've looked for the bootleg but all the links to it seem to be dead. :-( But I'll keep looking.

One idea I tried was to open the .snd files in the game's directory but they don't seem to be accessible with the usual players (Winamp, Quicktime, Windoze Media Player and Realplayer). Any ideas?

I'm still messing about with the game in a non-serious way, so I'm sure there's more to discover. The guides are very useful; thanks again for the pointers. :-)

--------------
"Our hope's with you..."
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2010, 22:28

Quote (Rider in the Blue @ Dec. 28 2010, 22:24)
Quote (nightspore @ Dec. 28 2010, 07:28)

Thanks, Nightspore, I've looked for the bootleg but all the links to it seem to be dead. :-( But I'll keep looking.

One idea I tried was to open the .snd files in the game's directory but they don't seem to be accessible with the usual players (Winamp, Quicktime, Windoze Media Player and Realplayer). Any ideas?

I'm still messing about with the game in a non-serious way, so I'm sure there's more to discover. The guides are very useful; thanks again for the pointers. :-)

It's fiendishly difficult to access those snd files. I remember before I joined tubular.net and learned about TL2 I asked several gurus, and they were all stumped. Send Ugo a private message about the record - he'll probably know someone who can help you.
Profile PM 

Posted: Dec. 29 2010, 16:13

Quote (nightspore @ Dec. 29 2010, 03:28)
It's fiendishly difficult to access those snd files. I remember before I joined tubular.net and learned about TL2 I asked several gurus, and they were all stumped. Send Ugo a private message about the record - he'll probably know someone who can help you.

Well, I'm happy to report that the files are still available at Megaupload.com; although I'm on narrow-band so it'll take a few hours to download the lot. :O

Thanks, Nightspore :-)

--------------
"Our hope's with you..."
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2010, 20:42

You're welcome, Rider. By "access" I meant get them to the state that they can be played. It's easy enough to grab the snd files themselves simply from the directory in which the program runs.
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2010, 21:50

Quote (Alan D @ April 10 2008, 04:16)
One of the strange things is that so often people talk negatively about MO repeating himself by over-using variations on the TB theme - but how many other comparable artists have produced such a wide range of music, demonstrating such a depth of creativity over such a long stretch of time?

You just written a golden phrase that express exactly what I think.
Profile PM 
41 replies since Sep. 05 2007, 17:17 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net