Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I love this album< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Caveman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 04 2008, 12:47

PS again i make no apologies for multiple exclamation and question marks. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
AUTOMATIC 18 Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2012, 04:37

Great LP. I have two original copies but unfortunately neither have the pulled version of 'Into Wonderland"!!! I will get it don't worry! I have "Airborne" The U.S. version which is a double LP, it replaces "Woodhenge" with "Guilty" which is nice and the other LP is live stuff! Side One of "Platinum" is one of my favourites! The Norwegian duo Royksopp did a mix of Charleston/North Star on their 2007 Back To Mine Mix CD. North Star is credited to Emmanuel Splice and has additional production. Was I over the moon when I heard this! If you listen to "Someone Like Me" on their "The Understanding" LP it is very similar to the "Diana" section from "Incantation" with it's chugging disco beat, percussive guitar-like sound and clapping. Royksopp are definitely Oldfield fans! The tempo is very close too!
Profile PM WEB 
memberd Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2012, 09:24

Thanks for that tip on the Royksopp mix Automatic,.. I'll have to look out for that.
I love their "The Understanding" album .. never thought of possible Oldfield connections, though.

--------------
"...inside, and the positions are reversed..."
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2012, 06:17

Quote (AUTOMATIC 18 @ Aug. 15 2012, 04:37)
The U.S. version which is a double LP, it replaces "Woodhenge" with "Guilty" which is nice

Sacrilege!  Woodhenge is (IMHO) one of the finest pieces MO ever recorded - very different from his other work, more Steve Reich than the Philip Glass influences elsewhere on the album.  This track reminds me of walking through a darkening forest at dusk... mysterious, magical... and a little frightening.

It's the Yin to Guilty's Yang.
Profile PM WEB 
memberd Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2012, 07:45

Quote (BornInTheUK @ Aug. 31 2012, 06:17)
Quote (AUTOMATIC 18 @ Aug. 15 2012, 04:37)
The U.S. version which is a double LP, it replaces "Woodhenge" with "Guilty" which is nice

Sacrilege!  Woodhenge is (IMHO) one of the finest pieces MO ever recorded - very different from his other work, more Steve Reich than the Philip Glass influences elsewhere on the album.  This track reminds me of walking through a darkening forest at dusk... mysterious, magical... and a little frightening.

It's the Yin to Guilty's Yang.

Agreed! It works just fine on the album, espcially at the beginning of "Side two"..

--------------
"...inside, and the positions are reversed..."
Profile PM 
Chrissy Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2014, 15:53

Just listened to Platinum (parts 1 to 4) and simply wanted to say what a brilliant 20 minutes of music it is. So catchy and uplifting.

My 6 year old daughter loves singing along with the melody.

:)
Profile PM 
Happy? Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2022, 16:32

I really like the Platinum quadrilogy! About 12 years ago somehow it became my favourite music to play loud when cleaning the house, especially when mopping the floor. And still, when I have to mop the floor Platinum comes out of the speakers and I'm humming along, or it at least plays in my head. And sometimes it's the other way around as well: when I play Platinum it remembers me of cleaning the house. :laugh:

The up-tempo rhythm and optimistic tune and the duration of about 19 minutes is just great for doing household chores.

The other tracks on the album don't bother me a lot. I only recently learned to appreciate Woodhenge. Punkadiddle I used to enjoy the most of side B, until I came across the 1981 live version: much, much better than the album version! And recently I came across the original Sally track. Although it totally makes sense on the album in a musical way, the singing is just ugly (but as usual Mike's guitar solo is brilliant).

--------------
I'd rather be... happy?
Profile PM 
26 replies since Sep. 24 2005, 14:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net