Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I love this album< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bee Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 24 2005, 14:10

Had been feeling a bit sad lately, someone I care about a lot, has just moved a long way away. And then one day I put this album on and it really lifted my spirits. It looks up and ahead, and I love the guitars. It has really helped me to carry on.

The first side is so happy and full of light.

The only track I can take or leave is I got Rhythm, which wasn't written by Mike anyway so that's probably why!

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2005, 14:23

I agree with everything you said.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
RICHARDGORMLIE Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2006, 17:38

i love platinum, the title track is my favourite from the album.  platinum is always the first mike oldfield cd i play
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2006, 07:31

I'm happy for that Bee!!
Keep listening to it!! ;)

Since seeing in live on the Montreux DVD I appreciate it even more as it's so full of details and so thought-out.
The melodies and playing are very strong. But indeed the live version is more exciting than the lp version, even though that one rocks too  :cool:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2006, 16:03

Yeah, I loved this album too. It was one of the first MO Albums I bought. I was wary that after MO's first three or four albums, he wasn't considered as good as he used to be by the standards of the time, so I had worries that Platinum wouldn't be up to his usual standards.

As soon as I popped it into my Walkman, abou four seconds in, that opinion totally changed with that incredibly poppy, funky and slightly cheeky beginning, which evolved into a very groovy and slightly emotional tune. I loved the whole album, and who couldn't help but adore the masterpiece that is Punkadiddle?

Well, that's my opinion anyway. Really glad you liked it, bee! Hope your spirits continued to be raised!

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2006, 17:00

not sure why this topic is top of the "recent posts" lists, but still.

... being around at the time this was released and being a big fan at the time I remember being amazed at this album, you have to bear in mind that Incantations was his last studio offering, and this is errrrm different.  It was done very quickly and is far more simple than previous stuff, but was much fun and had some great guitar on it.  A very positive album, I thought.  On the 1980 tour he played this stuff and it sounded great, however on the personel depleted 1981 tour I think it suffered a bit.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2006, 19:10

I'm not sure why  this post has been resurrected either, it was ages ago. I still miss the person very much, but am in touch with them and they seem happy doing what they want to do. And that's OK by me.

And I still very, very much love this album. It gets better with time, and I think it's good not to 'over' play it. Special occaions!

:) bee

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2006, 20:56

I do quite like the album. I think it is a mere pebble compared to the mountain that was the previous album, but I DO like it.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2006, 19:25

Quote (hiawatha @ Oct. 21 2006, 01:56)
I think it is a mere pebble compared to the mountain that was the previous album,

Now that is a lovely thing to say.

And very true, it did mark a big change. But it is still so good, so whole. I remember receiving it for Christmas that year and loving that close up picture on the inside sleeve soooo much and being fascinated by the butterfly on the front cover. Still feel the same really!

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2006, 04:24

I remember playing it for the first time, and being puzzled by the scoobidoobop 1940s sound that seemed to permeate it, and thinking 'What's going on? What's he doing here?'. Then I got to North Star, which seemed like a resolution of all the puzzles and doubts. That closing section is still one of my favourite bits of Mike.

I listened to Platinum over and over again, feeling slightly disappointed overall, but excited with the idea that he was trying something completely new by dipping into the past.
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 22:56

Love this album.  Just listened again after a long time and was absolutely thrilled by how much better the CD sounded than the LP I had many decades ago.

The Platinum Suite comprises one of my favorite Mike moments.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Feb. 29 2008, 05:25

Quote (hiawatha @ Oct. 21 2006, 00:56)
I do quite like the album. I think it is a mere pebble compared to the mountain that was the previous album, but I DO like it.

"Just take a pebble and cast it to the sea,
Then watch the ripples that unfold into me,
My face spill so gently into your eyes,
Disturbing the waters of our lives."

Oh sorry couldn't resist that, thought of pebble and thought of Emerson Lake and Palmer.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: Feb. 29 2008, 11:34

I've just had to put ELP on simply to hear those piano strings being played like a harp once again.  And the looney synth at the end of Lucky Man.  Thanks for putting the idea into my head!
Profile PM 
Major Gowen Offline

Posted: June 29 2008, 22:58

I love Platinum. One of the things I like about Mike's music is the warm feeling of nostalgia it generates within me, and Platinum has that sense of comfort. Even Woodhenge sounds peaceful and relaxing. And the guitar on Punkadiddle is some of my favourite Mike soloing, joyful yet very moving. I can never understand why this record seems to get dismissed as one of his lesser works.
Profile PM 
ommadawn69 Offline

Posted: June 29 2008, 23:43

Agree, I have always loved the feel of Platinum. I love listening to the four parts over and over again, brilliant stuff!!!!!

--------------
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheAlternativeMikeOldfieldGroup/
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: July 02 2008, 03:53

My (the 14 year old one) daughter has also taking a strong liking to this lately.  Since Incantations is also one of her favourites - maybe they do go togther better than I previously thought.

We also have a version with the correct Sally edited in - much better (we kept Into Wonderland as well - like the vocal on that).
Profile PM 
ommadawn69 Offline

Posted: July 03 2008, 21:30

Quote (trcanberra @ July 02 2008, 03:53)
My (the 14 year old one) daughter has also taking a strong liking to this lately.  Since Incantations is also one of her favourites - maybe they do go togther better than I previously thought.

We also have a version with the correct Sally edited in - much better (we kept Into Wonderland as well - like the vocal on that).

Yes, I do love the song "Into Wonderland" Sally is an odd song, but still is good to at least hear the song that is listed but not added. LOL

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 03 2008, 23:06

It may sound like an exaggeration, but side 2 of Platinum sounds dozens of times better with the original Sally in it, as it gives a sense of flow and coherence to the trip as a whole. Even more, after I listened to the album with that track, Into Wonderland sounds even more atrociously, awkwardly tacked on into the record. The song itself is not bad, but it doesn't belong there.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
ommadawn69 Offline

Posted: July 04 2008, 04:26

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ July 03 2008, 23:06)
It may sound like an exaggeration, but side 2 of Platinum sounds dozens of times better with the original Sally in it, as it gives a sense of flow and coherence to the trip as a whole. Even more, after I listened to the album with that track, Into Wonderland sounds even more atrociously, awkwardly tacked on into the record. The song itself is not bad, but it doesn't belong there.

I do have to admit that I see where your coming from. When I first heard Platinum many moons ago I always had found that the track "Sally" didn't fit in with the rest of the album, even though I liked the song "Sally" (of course not knowing back then that "Sally" wasn't actually "Sally" but "Into Wonderland"LOL) Then when I found out I said "well that makes sense.

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 04 2008, 12:46

I really do like this album but i still don't have a copy of the original version of Sally!!!!What kind of Oldfield fan am I??!??!??
My problem stems from the fact that i don't have a puter at home and have to use my PC at work to speak to you good people.And i can't listen to it as i have to keep the sound off.Bugger!!!!!
 So,although i'd love a copy there's no legal way of getting a copy (and there''s loads of other stuff i've seen on here).Ho hum :(

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
26 replies since Sep. 24 2005, 14:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net