Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I Like It More Now< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
qjamesfloyd Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 01 2003, 10:42

I have listened to Tres Lunas again and i have a new likeing for it,i think it's a lovely chilled out album,and Mike does actually play some lovely guitar all the way through,i think people were to harsh about this album really,and i also think that is why Mike has lasted so long,the fact that his albums have got staying power,the more you listen to them the better they become,i have noticed over the past few albums people start by saying how they like it,but not that much,then months later start saying how much they really like it!!.
And i think Mike is aware of that,and is not to worried about peoples first impressions.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2003, 16:02

I'm not sure that Mike's bothered what anybody thinks of his music generaly. I have to say I do secretly like TresLunas as an album (lets ignore all the other MVR music for the time being) although I do see where its detractors are coming from when they criticise it. Sirius, Return to the Origin, Viper and Firefly and one or two others are all nice little tracks out of the same musical universe as The Songs of Distant Earth. I do wish some of those tracks, especialy Viper, were worked up more and this where I have a problem with him pigeon-holing it as a 'chillout' album come in. I get the feeling he left off guitar solo's, bigger drum parts etc because he didn't feel they fitted in with the idea of what a chillout album should sound like, why constrain otherwise promising music? The synth sax and that god-awful dolphin sample used in Sirius weren't his best ideas but they're not enough to utterly ruin things, actually the synth sax in Sirius is the one place it does work on the album but why not use a real one? People can appreciate the difference.

All in all I don't regard TresLunas to be Mike's worst hour but never the less its definately one of those albums that you know could have been easily a lot better especialy when you hear all the music that he left off it.
Profile PM 
siul
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 09 2003, 11:49

Hi.

There are some interesting thoughts from TOBY
-----------------------------------------------
"I get the feeling he left off guitar solo's, bigger drum parts etc because he didn't feel they fitted in with the idea of what a chillout album should sound like, why constrain otherwise promising music? "
----------------------------------------------
, ok, I think the same as you.

Some spanish people are trying to achieve one early demo from the entire record "Tres Lunas". It was broadcasted in the radio station "M80" in a program called "Musica Privada".
But it is very difficult for us, we are in bad luck.

Maybe, in the first stages "Tres Lunas" was a record with more "oldfield sound", less "chill-out sound", more guitar solo, more drum parts. I hope so.

Regards.
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2008, 02:42

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Oct. 01 2003, 10:42)
I have listened to Tres Lunas again and i have a new likeing for it,i think it's a lovely chilled out album,and Mike does actually play some lovely guitar all the way through,i think people were to harsh about this album really,and i also think that is why Mike has lasted so long,the fact that his albums have got staying power,the more you listen to them the better they become,i have noticed over the past few albums people start by saying how they like it,but not that much,then months later start saying how much they really like it!!.
And i think Mike is aware of that,and is not to worried about peoples first impressions.

Agree with your comments - it's interesting how many people have put Mike's CDs on the shelf for a year after one listen, then come back and loved them later.

I always try to listen twice in the first week, then again a month or so later and see what I think then.

As mentioned in another post, this CD was better than I expected (and the only one so far I have not found at discount price in the store - so happy about that  ;)   ).

Only 3 to go to complete my collection of the studio albums.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2008, 22:27

Quote (trcanberra @ Feb. 24 2008, 02:42)
it's interesting how many people have put Mike's CDs on the shelf for a year after one listen, then come back and loved them later.

I think my biggest injustice was in the case of Songs of Distant Earth. My initial dismissal of the album when I first got it sometime in 2006 changed drastically a year later. It was quite a bridge between 'boring' to 'breathtaking' and I'm still kicking myself about it.

I loved Tr3s Lunas, however, on first listen. Maybe it's more immediately accessible? Or maybe extended MO exposure has cured my cloth-eared-ness?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2008, 05:30

Quote (Sweetpea @ Feb. 24 2008, 22:27)
Quote (trcanberra @ Feb. 24 2008, 02:42)
it's interesting how many people have put Mike's CDs on the shelf for a year after one listen, then come back and loved them later.

I think my biggest injustice was in the case of Songs of Distant Earth. My initial dismissal of the album when I first got it sometime in 2006 changed drastically a year later. It was quite a bridge between 'boring' to 'breathtaking' and I'm still kicking myself about it.

I loved Tr3s Lunas, however, on first listen. Maybe it's more immediately accessible? Or maybe extended MO exposure has cured my cloth-eared-ness?

Nice one SweetP - that is quite a leap on TSODE.

Oh, and I loved that warning on Amarok.

I'm glad I have ignored all the reviews, especially the ones that go "I have been a fan of MO since 1933 but ...".  Well, I was there at the start as well, and still appreciate lots of his recent music.
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2010, 07:30

I think this is one of his best albums; is certainly one of his least complicated & easily accessible ones.

When defining/shaping this album as being wholly "chill out" and did away with the trademark guitar riffs so prevalent on other albums, he clearly produced an album that was "safe".

Inevitibly he got a fair amount of flak for producing a fairly unexciting album, but quite frankly I find nothing wrong with that: why shouldn't Mike aim for the middle ground once in awhile?  We all know he has a great creative talent for discovering new sounds in his albums; but like most of us, we'd like to have a day off and produce something refreshing, simple and pleasing.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2010, 07:40

I have four main gripes with TL:

1) The saxotar
2) It doesn't contain "Moonlight Stroll"
3) It doesn't contain "Rebirth Tube"
4) It doesn't include an extremely beautiful section of "The Journey".

Still, "Firefly" is worth the purchase price in itself; "Turtle Island" has a nice feel; and I quite like "To Be Free" (although I think the lyrics could be better).
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2010, 08:39

The section of "The Journey" I'm talking about begins at 3 minutes. The part at 6 minutes is quite nice too.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2010, 13:28

Yes, the sax synth is unbelievably annoying. I only played the demo of the game but I wish the nice little twinkly melody from the very beginning (if I remember correctly, it played when you were next to the cactus) was included in the album. I know that it was included in the track "First Steps" from Light + Shade but I never felt that track gave it justice. I don't like "To Be Free" at all.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2018, 06:01

8 year later: of course the bonus with TL is not only do you get the game but also two wishes courtesy of the two versions of "To Be Free"!  :cool:
Profile PM 
10 replies since Oct. 01 2003, 10:42 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net