Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I like it< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TheInfection Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 13 2002, 02:53

I had my doubts, but OTB is great. First part reminds me of 50's and 60's movie scores in a good way and the second side is more traditional. Piltdown Man -section sounds wonderful.

Regards,
TheInfection
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: April 09 2002, 17:01

indeed i have been mystified by the strong dislike for this work...maybe had Mike been the arranger and not Bedford, the naysayers would herald it a masterpiece even if it sounded exactly the same?...i feel that it DOES capture the spirit of the original - check the climax about 6 minutes into part one...negative press coverage of the time was as wrongheaded as that awarded to amarok in 1990...we all have ears, why do some find it so difficult to use them?...because we do not all have a brain!...
Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 09 2002, 20:46

I don't think it's bad, but I don't find it as interesting as the original album. I think some of the magic is lost in the performance, perhaps...
But, at the same time, it becomes something slightly different, as it's more than just a slavish recreation of the original. I think that the Orchestral Hergest Ridge probably worked better (shame that one never made it to record) - that work seemed more naturally suited to being arranged for orchestra.
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: July 01 2002, 16:47

bad...should never been done.  :D  :angry:  :p

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: July 01 2002, 18:59

I think it was a cool idea and a different perspective on an original classic, but it's too quiet! needed to be louder!

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2002, 23:29

It certainly is an interesting concept, and probably would be my favourite orchestra piece (not that I'm into that sort of thing). Now, orchestral Amarok would be a thing to hear! :O

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2002, 00:58

I think that a lot of Amarok lies in the textures created by the (sometimes unusual) instruments used by Mike to perform it. I'm sure it could be arranged for orchestra if someone was determined enough, but I think the result would be lacking something compared to the version presented on the album. It could gain something too, but that may or may not be enough to make up...all in all, I'd think it was better left alone.
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2002, 16:14

although this album is not in my favourites i like very much the last section in part 2, from minute 19 to the 23, the guitars section just before the sailor's hornpipe, when the spanish guitar rises clear among the whispering orchestral sounds and followed by the electric one go leading to the ending... climbing the climax line in a very soft mood... perhaps this is the wrong topic to say that but for me this is a good ending
i like a lot the way the two guitars speak there

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Siriusimov Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2002, 15:00

It would be great in a concert with the entire orchestra.

--------------
We fear Death; but Life is to be feared most, for it is what causes relieving Death.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2002, 04:49

This is one of the few Oldfield albums I'm not familiar with. It certainly has a nice sound, but it dosen't have Mike's amazing guitar and organ sounds, which really make TB what it is. The "Grand Piano" section is also missing something, it would be nice if they did a similar thing with all the orchestral instruments, which I don't remember them doing. You can also hear that the orchestra can't quite keep up with Mike's guitaring, especially in the first major rock bit. Minor gripes really, this is a very nice piece to be arranged in such a way.

And yes, I was joking about orchestral Amarok. Maybe TSODE would be better, though it would have a completely different feeling.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
frozenfish Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2003, 06:58

I recently bought OTB, and i think that it's pretty good actually. My favourite bit in TB has got to be the part (in TB2003 track 6, 2 and a half minutes in where the grand piano kicks in) it is 14 and a half minutes iinto OTB, it sounds amazing, much better than the origional.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2003, 11:17

Quote (raven4x4x @ Dec. 03 2002, 04:49)
And yes, I was joking about orchestral Amarok. Maybe TSODE would be better, though it would have a completely different feeling.

Orchestral Songs Of Distant Earth, hm... that might (or might not) make me appreciate the work much more. Because it's really well-composed, but I don't like how it sounds very much. It might be very interesting or it might turn out total rubbish. Depends on who would do it also, I guess...
Profile PM 
LivingForever Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2003, 09:10

I think you have to have this to hear what the 'Piltdown Man' section would have sounded like if Mike decided to sing or play it rather than growling!

Nice melody...

Also Mike's guitar solo on the quiet ending section (before Hornpipe) is astounding, and knocks spots off the original!

James

--------------
http://giggingforever.blogspot.co.uk
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2004, 12:49

I don't think there is anything wrong OTB but for me to go to such lengths to orchestrate TB and not to have it played live is a bit of a waste.It would have been a gift for somewhere like the Royal Albert Hall ,it could have played there for few nights perhaps and you could guarantee by last performance the orchestra MIKEY and the audience would have been full on in to it. It would have benefited with some real prom night crowd participation especially throgh the sailors hornpipe.auf wiedesehen.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2004, 14:05

It actually was played live at the end of 1974 at the Albert Hall, together with the Orchestral Hergest Ridge. They were later performed elsewhere as well, including at the Kelvin Hall in Glasgow, part of the recording of which later became part of the soundtrack to The Space Movie (in the form of some sections of the Orchestral Hergest Ridge).

Not present, however, was Mike Oldfield, who was unwell at the time (his mother had just died, making worse his already difficult mental problems) - he had agreed to do the performance but had pulled out at the last minute. He was replaced, at the Albert Hall and in Glasgow, by Steve Hillage, while other performances were done with Andy Summers handling guitar duties.

The Orchestral Hergest Ridge was performed comparitively recently, in 1994, again in London, this time at The Barbican. I believe that Mike himself did a performance of the Orchestral Tubular Bells in 1982, featuring a slightly different arrangement - I'm not sure of the details on that one, though.
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2004, 16:01

I didn't know it had been played live [obvious] but now I do under the circumstances at the time I feel the performances live would have been a bit of a let down Mikey not being there.Anyhow talking of MO's problems what was the deal with his teeth or was it jaw.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
lordlucan Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2004, 04:05

Absolutely.  Cannot. Stand it.
Profile PM 
SentinelGard Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2004, 20:31

I dont mind a bit a Orchestral music , I really love the sound tracks to all of  the Lord of the Rings movies witch are fantastic pieces of music . The only grudge i have against the Orchestral version of TB1 is that it's way to quiet , it would far better if the recording was louder so that all the sounds can be heard..   :p

--------------
"Onwards & Upwards'"
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2004, 07:35

I do have a video of Mike playing OTB in early 80's.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2004, 09:08

Quote (SentinelGard @ Nov. 10 2004, 01:31)
it would far better if the recording was louder so that all the sounds can be heard..

Isn't that what the volume control is for?  ;)

It's a while since I listened to it, but I do remember the dynamic range as being fairly wide - that's not unusual for classical recordings (and not so much on film soundtrack recordings). It quite likely could be a little louder, but possibly not a lot more so without resorting to the compression and limiting that's used on pop recordings (orchestral recordings on film soundtracks will also usually be treated in this way, hence my mentioning of them as an exception previously).

I'd prefer it to have too wide a dynamic range than too narrow - heavy limiting can be quite damaging to the overall sound and feel of the music. A lot of music nowadays is compressed/limited heavily so it sounds good in situations like on car radios...which works, but it then doesn't sound as it could do in more ideal listening situations. It would of course make far more sense if they were to build compressors into the car radios instead...
Profile PM 
36 replies since Feb. 13 2002, 02:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net