Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I like it< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 10 2004, 14:03

I was listening to it again this morning (yes, it does have a wider dynamic range than your typical MO album so parts of it do seem perhaps uncomfortably quiet). It would never be a favourite, but I must say I enjoyed it: it's an interesting experiment, and I'd rather it existed than didn't. But I wish there were more of Mike's playing in evidence.
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2005, 05:25

Last night my family and I were having a game of catopoly in the kitchen, this usually takes up a few hour's so I fill the multi disc with mike, anyhoo while orchestubular was playing I really though I could hear the lead up to the bell as bolero and another section as jupiter from the planet's, zany or what.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2005, 09:02

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ Feb. 28 2005, 05:25)
and another section as jupiter from the planet's, zany or what.

The arrangement for what I call the "deep buzzy part" located in TB part 1 is indeed very similar to part of Jupiter.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
amarokian Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2005, 03:27

I like the concept of the Orchestral Tubular Bells and compared to other musicians and their failure to combine classic with electronic or other style,not necesariliy electronic,MO did it fine...

--------------
These posts are hazardous to the health of cloth-eared nincompoops.If you suffer from this condition after you read my posts,consult your doctor immediately.
Profile PM 
rivergod Offline

Posted: June 10 2005, 17:48

I do like the OTB, I find it a very interesting listen but at the same time I find it very frustrating to listen to as I keep finding myself thinking how much better it could have been done and I keep thinking this most of the way through. The recording is poor and as has been said earlier it does have a very wide dynamic range. (This annoys my wife a great deal - she already thinks I'm a wierdo for listening to it in the first place). The arrangement is good but there is just something missing from it for me. Maybe they should do a Orchestral Tubular bells 2003 kind of thing. Not likely I guess.
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: June 10 2005, 19:20

I like it  :)

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: June 10 2005, 19:21

I guess that would beat "The Non-Orchestral Tubular Bells".

Somewhere out there is someone who found the regular "Tubular Bells" and exclaimed "Hey, look! Someone took David Bedford's `Orchestral Tubular Bells` and made some sort of rock thing out of it. Lots of guitars. Guy's name is Mick Oldham or something like that, wot? Listen to that bit toward the end of Side 2: Bloke's got an awful singing voice. I think he gargles lava-rocks."

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: June 10 2005, 19:34

Hey Hiawatha, anyone told you "you`re nuts"...love your posts tho, always make me chuckle !!!  :D

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: July 21 2005, 08:16

Quote (Korgscrew @ Nov. 10 2004, 16:08)
It's a while since I listened to it, but I do remember the dynamic range as being fairly wide - that's not unusual for classical recordings (and not so much on film soundtrack recordings). It quite likely could be a little louder, but possibly not a lot more so without resorting to the compression and limiting that's used on pop recordings (orchestral recordings on film soundtracks will also usually be treated in this way, hence my mentioning of them as an exception previously).

On one hand I love the wide dynamic range, but on the other hand I find it extremely irritating, because in order to hear all the sounds, even the quietest ones, I have to crank the volume up so high the either my ears start hurting or the neighbours start banging complaining about the noise.
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: July 21 2005, 08:24

You must have the wrong neighbors. Who but a cloth-eared nincompoop would ever complain about Mike Oldfield music ?(unless, let's say, it was "Speak Tho You Only Say Farewell" blasted 20 times in a row in the wee hours of the morning) :D

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: July 21 2005, 08:33

Mexican exchange students, apparently.
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 21 2005, 19:25

@ Sysyio - maybe a bit off topic... :) Once I got a call from an irate neighbour of mine while I was playing Incantations Part III. Strangely enough, she didn't complain about the volume: it was the music itself nagging her. She said: "Would you stop that f***ing music? You're getting on my f***ing tits!!" - with no asterisks. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 22 2005, 05:06

Quote (Ugo @ July 21 2005, 19:25)
@ Sysyio - maybe a bit off topic... :) Once I got a call from an irate neighbour of mine while I was playing Incantations Part III. Strangely enough, she didn't complain about the volume: it was the music itself nagging her. She said: "Would you stop that f***ing music? You're getting on my f***ing tits!!" - with no asterisks. :D

Incredible!  Now I could understand if it was the vibes section from Part 4, or the Thunderstorm from Hergest Ridge!

;)

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
far above the clouds Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2005, 08:58

I listened to it last night. I did enjoy it, was kinda quiet, but fairly well done in terms of classical. I did miss Mike's guitar, just not enough of him there. One of my favorite albums with this kind of crossover is A Classic Case: The London Symphony Orchestra Plays The Music Of Jethro Tull. All The orchestra parts were done first and then Ian Anderson added his trademark flute while Martin Barre sprinkled his electric guitar all over the place. This really livened the album up for me, very well done. I wish Mike had done something similiar, mixing in his wild guitar amongst the lush orchestral sounds. Just my humble thoughts!

--------------
Tell me how does it feel......when your heart grows cold.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 08 2005, 13:19

I listened to part 1 yesterday for re-reviewing purposes. I'm convinced of its quality now. It's really good, a solidly well done project by David Bedford. It's different enough from the original to be fresh and unpredictable, but the music yet manages to preserve the feeling and the essence of the original album, which is remarkable. It's FAR superior to Mike's own TB2003, in my opinion. And I actually appreciate the lack of guitars in the album. If Mike were to be more present, his influence would be felt, and it would "drag" the album from being a complete "reinterpretation" into something less drastic. You know, the feelings would turn from "I wish there was more Mike in it" to "I wish there was some piano in it", "I wish there was some organ", until you'd have a pale immitation of the original.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
far above the clouds Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2005, 12:03

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Sep. 08 2005, 13:19)
I listened to part 1 yesterday for re-reviewing purposes. I'm convinced of its quality now. It's really good, a solidly well done project by David Bedford. It's different enough from the original to be fresh and unpredictable, but the music yet manages to preserve the feeling and the essence of the original album, which is remarkable. It's FAR superior to Mike's own TB2003, in my opinion. And I actually appreciate the lack of guitars in the album. If Mike were to be more present, his influence would be felt, and it would "drag" the album from being a complete "reinterpretation" into something less drastic. You know, the feelings would turn from "I wish there was more Mike in it" to "I wish there was some piano in it", "I wish there was some organ", until you'd have a pale immitation of the original.

Hmmmm, interesting spin. Never thought of it that way. I tend to agree being it is a reinterpretation, and that makes it work. I'm just such a sucker for Mike's guitar! :D

--------------
Tell me how does it feel......when your heart grows cold.
Profile PM 
tsar.nathan Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2010, 19:44

I picked up a few MO tapes on ebay to fill out my collection recently, and OTB was the first to arrive. I've only had one listen so far, but I'm really impressed, I've been wanting to hear it for a while.
can't wait to give it a proper listen through a nice big pair of headphones when I can give it my full attention

--------------
http://www.discogs.com/collection?user=tsar.nathan
Profile PM 
36 replies since Feb. 13 2002, 02:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net