Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I just love it< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
gorjanbak Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 07 2000, 02:38

I can't describe how much I love 'Voyager' with words.
I like it celtic wave combinated with a powerful 'Mont St.Michel'.I also like 'The Song of The Sun' , 'The Hero' , 'She Moves Through the Fair' , 'Flowers of the Forest' etc...etc....But,can anyone tell's me the words of 'Flowers of the Forest' because I dont understand what does she sing.Thanks a lott.And just listen this relaxing album.
Profile PM 
Man In Rain Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2000, 13:18

You are right, Voyager is beautiful! My favourite track is Flowers of the Forest. You can find an answer to your question (lyrics) at:
http://www.contemplator.com/scotland/forest.html
Profile PM 
Piltdown_Man Offline

Posted: April 17 2004, 19:28

Hehe, yeah. Voyager is olmost the best album i have ever heard. In my opinion the most beauliful  is Mont St Michel. Really, really powerfull (in two, three moments of course:)).
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 19 2004, 10:49

I've always loved Voyager,it's a great title for an album too,i have'nt heard the original version of The Song Of The Sun,so i can't compare it,but i really like Mike's version,Celtic Rain is another beautiful recording,lovely bell clear guitar work,ok maybe the track is a bit repetitive,and maybe could have done with being a minute or so shorter,but i still really like it.The Hero,reminds me of Tattoo from TB2,where it slowly builds up,untill about 3:30 when the pipes come in.Woman Of Ireland is another slow one,with not really much going on,i think i prefer the single dance version,but i do like Mikes guitar again on this track,the best bit being the last 30 seconds with Mike playing his trademark bell clear guitar :) .
The Voyager is nice and Celtic,but really does'nt have much going on,good for a soundtrack though i guess.She Moves Through The Fair,is like the last track,but does have some lovely Mike accoustic guitar,so,it's worth the time to listen.Dark Island is a track i really like,lots of accoustic guitar from Mike,and a nice build up to the whole band/orchestra.Wild Goose Flaps It's Wings is for me a very good track,very atmospheric,the opening chords and guitar work so well,Mike has so much anger in the guitar sound,it may be a slow track,but it needs to be,to get ready for the wonderful rake at about 2:50,which sounds great at high volume.Flowers Of The Forest is on of the better cover versions on the album for me,with Mike playing a TB2 sounding guitar,the track builds nicely to a very loud climax,before going all quiet again.Mont St Michel is the highlight of the album,all 12:18 seconds of it,people often asked what Mike could do with a full orchestral piece,well this track goes somewhere to answering that question,Mike plays lovely classical guitar all the way through,building up to one up Mike's best climaxes around 9:30,going all the way to the end :)
Profile PM 
RICHARDGORMLIE Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2004, 11:49

as i am a die hard fan of folk music, i just fell in love with this album.  dark island, women of ireland & flowers of the forest are my favourite tracks
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2004, 00:51

I used to hate Voyager, but after listening to it again for the first time in ages I really can't figure out why. I can't really pick favourites because I'm not familiar with it, but Song of the Sun is a great tune. I will start listening to it again. You can ignore any old posts you find in which I say I hate Voyager: I don't anymore!!

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2004, 06:06

I like Wild Goose Flaps Its Wings, although it is spoiled a bit by those new-agey harp arpeggios many tracks on Voyager have. I also like the middle part of Mont St. Michel. Those are the two absolute highlights of the album IMO.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2004, 10:01

My first listenings to Voyager coincided with discovering the Scottish Highlands, and while driving through such territory it was a fantastic accompaniment to have Voyager playing in the car. But after those initial listenings it lost ground for me, and it seemed to go stale very quickly. Now I actually find it hard to listen to - most of it seems too upfront and obvious, and some of the tunes can become quite irritating. I'd now put it a long way down my list, though once it was near the top.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 16 2004, 06:01

I never hated Voyager, not even disliked it. But much like Tr3s Lunas, it represents Mike deciding to "do" a style just for the heck of it. Mike doesn't seem to digest the style, no matter how much he tries to convince me of his Celtic roots. It just sounds like "Let's try Celtic", and I don't see why I should prefer it over a true Celtic album. It sounds definitely different from David Byrne coming to Latin America and releasing "Rei Momo". That album is the polar opposite of Voyager in the topic of truly "getting" a different culture.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
RICHARDGORMLIE Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2004, 11:15

i have loved voyager since i bought it back in 1996.  it made a nice change in direction for mike and i hope he does another celtic album soon
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2005, 10:14

I LOVE Voyager  :) , It's great   :) !!!  I can't decide what my favourite song is :O .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Wanderer Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2005, 04:17

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Nov. 16 2004, 06:01)
Mike doesn't seem to digest the style, no matter how much he tries to convince me of his Celtic roots. It just sounds like "Let's try Celtic", and I don't see why I should prefer it over a true Celtic album.

I don't think Mike ever really intended to do a 100% traditional Celtic album - more like he wanted to weave some celtic vibes into his own sound.

I feel the same way about "Tubular Bells III", when people have said to me "This is not hard core techno", then I say "But it was never meant to be".
Profile PM 
Taurus 4 Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2007, 11:14

The last Mike Oldfield album I bought (just Guitars, The Millennium Bell and Tres Lunas to go), and one I loved almost immediately. Swaying, melodic and peaceful. Sometimes I find the production a bit too sweet, but it's still one I listen to frequently. I'd probably put it in his all-time Top 10, come to think of it...
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2008, 06:54

Quote (Taurus 4 @ Aug. 28 2007, 11:14)
The last Mike Oldfield album I bought (just Guitars, The Millennium Bell and Tres Lunas to go), and one I loved almost immediately. Swaying, melodic and peaceful. Sometimes I find the production a bit too sweet, but it's still one I listen to frequently. I'd probably put it in his all-time Top 10, come to think of it...

Yes - that about says it for me too.  One of the few albums I listened to multiple times on the first day.  My family like this one a lot too, they generally have mixed feelings on various Mike albums but all enjoyed this one (then again - we have just come back from a holiday in Scotland - maybe that had something to do with it  ;)  )
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2008, 00:57

Quote (trcanberra @ Jan. 23 2008, 06:54)
My family like this one a lot too, they generally have mixed feelings on various Mike albums but all enjoyed this one

It passed the family test - that's impressive.  :)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2008, 17:49

Sorry, but NO NO NO etc.... I really can't get into this album at all. Overblown (and not just the cover)

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2008, 18:28

Voyager.  I liked it instantly the day it came out.  I remember listening to is on some trip away from home - not sure where it was in 1996 could have been a few places - but it was cold and misty and fields and trees and it just fitted.   I had to learn to play the Voyager track and i've been playing it every week since - When Toran was about 1 and he started to recgnise sounds a bit more I use to play it to him all the time.  I would always play it at night to him and it use to make him smile - even now two years later if I play it he stops playing and comes over and trys to help by strumming the strings with a toy landrover - but he always recognises it instantly and looks at me and smiles from the other side of the room. :)

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2008, 18:35

OK - I cant resist this....  If Oldfiled came out with another Voyager type album I would have no problem in buying it instantly.

Voyager is up there near the top of the pile with Ommadawn and Tub2 and guitars.

Although I do have another pile with Crisis on top and FMO second.

and another pile with hergerst ridge and incantations and trel lunas.

Funny that  - different piles for different moods perhaps?

But I associate Voyager with our remote house high in the Scottish Mountains as we bought it at the time Voyager came out and they are both incredible places.   :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: April 12 2009, 23:19

A beautiful interpretative album.  Some of Mike's best playing.  Gorgeous.

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 13 2009, 00:48

Voyager, definitely fun stuff. Never understood the "Rambo" cover photo tho. Seemed out of sync with the style of music. But it was funny. It worked too. The day ('97 was it?) I found this new MO CD in the music store, my thinking was "holy sh^&, a new MO album" but I did not voice it aloud, that would be in poor taste. There was a fairly attractive woman standing right next to me looking at the CD I was holding. Looking very closely too. "What a hunk he is" she said. "What kind of music does he play?". My reply, "Kind of arty English rock music. If you like Pink Floyd or Genesis you might like him. There's another copy here. You want one?" Her reply was no since she never heard of him. I'll always remember that day. Well, gimme credit, I tried to make a sale. Perhaps one day her curiosity made her buy a MO CD. Perhaps she's a MO fanatic now. Perhaps she's on tubular.net, we will never know for sure......

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
22 replies since July 07 2000, 02:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net