Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I dont like Tubular Bells 2003, I dont like Tubular Bells 2003< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
john2003 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 09 2003, 07:07

Hi to all. I just listened Tubular Bells 2003, and I dont like it very much. I have listened also Tubular 1,2 and 3. I find this Tubular Bells 2003 with a lot of same things as for example Tubular Bells 1 or 2. E.G: The track "Finale" is the same ad end 1st part of Tubular Bells 1. Doesnt Mike Oldfield new things to put on new Tubular Bells discs ? OR its the same as always but with improved quality audio ?

John
Profile PM 
Fallen Angel Offline

Posted: June 09 2003, 07:23

You need shooting boy

:/  :/

--------------
Heaven was Open and I fell out
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 09 2003, 08:46

Tubular Bells 2003 is deliberately the same as the original Tubular Bells - it's intended as an improved replacement (in Mike's mind at least) for that album.
Profile PM 
Der Straussmeister
Unregistered

Posted: July 15 2003, 21:24

Er.....John boy. Have you been smoking the cured leaves of the jimson weed by any chance?

TB2003 is intended as a thirtieth anniversary re-recording, not a new album. Go listen to Tres Lunas or Amarok or wait for the next work of genius.

Alternatively, learn to play the bagpipes. :O

Have a Tubular Time y'all....
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: July 16 2003, 11:21

What the?
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: July 17 2003, 16:01

I am in the minority - i think it was unnecesary recording
- I like it but still i willl isten to TB from 1973.

I will - the TB2003 is without a kick.It is missing a soul.I like the original mix.

I like it,i love it because it was fresh,beautifull and full of soul.It was magic.

People wake up!!! Mike could done something new instead of remakes!!!

I heard that he is planning re-recording of OMMADAWN and HERGEST RIDGE - i think is better than 3lunas (which i tried to like but i do not like) - MIKE - DO SOMETHING ORIGINAL!!!!!!!!!! I KNOW AND WE ALL KNOW YOU HAVE A LOT OF IDEAS - YOU ARE A GENIUS (AREN't YOU???)

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
DBZLuisD Offline

Posted: July 18 2003, 00:32

john2003:

Sorry ;), if you can't see that mike oldfield don't create music only if this like to the mayor number of pople, he create music to exprese his sentiments.
And to me Tubular Bells 2003 is a diferent record that Tubular Bells, and if you are going to compare the 2 records is the same that compare Tubular Bells with Tubular Bells 2 of Tubular Bells 3, and Tubular Bells 2003 is a very good record and you can't say that you don't like the record only if you do you like more the Original.

Mike Chadwick:

2 things.
1.- Mike Oldfield is not going to make a remake of Ommadawn or Hergest Ridge, he is only going to make a 5.1 mix of the Original Ommadawn.
2.- You thing that you can criticize mike music and say that he isn't original, please tell me, Can you create music like mike music?... Please if you are going to criticize go to JMJ or Vangelis forum or shut up.

--------------
I'm not "Guilty"
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: July 18 2003, 03:24

I suppose we have a few issues to look at here...

First off, the statement that Mike could have done more than a remake of an old album. I suppose there are two answers to that, one being yes he could, but he didn't want to, and the other being to say that if he could, then why didn't he do it?
I think there's a tendency amongst some to see Mike as a machine who can churn out masterpieces at will. That he certainly isn't - he's done some great work, but like all creative people, he is at the mercy of such forces as those of inspiration and creative energy.
I do think that, though the record company may occasionally prod him in certain directions, if Mike really wanted to record another Amarok (or whatever else it is that fans expect him to come up with) then he would. The fact is, though, that a work like that takes a massive amount of energy to create and he maybe doesn't have that kind of energy to spare.
As it is, Music VR was a very original piece of work. The fact that some fans don't like it, or wanted music instead, is beside the point - it was where his creative energy went to, and from his point of view, there's no difference between creating that and creating a new album - the important bit is that he's creating something.

Do we really all know he has ideas? Like I said, if he had ideas better than the ones he's presented on his albums, which he felt he could execute as a good piece of music, don't you think he might be using them?

I would treat even a 5.1 mix of Ommadawn as being possible rather than definite. Mike said he might do it, but there are lots of things he's said he might do.

Now to criticism - we've seen a lot of views on this matter recently...
I think  that a certain amount of insight into the creative process can be enormously helpful when giving constructive criticism on any creative piece of work, but that's only one angle which it can be approached from. Mike as a professional musician is creating music to sell to other people, and therefore the opinions of the market are important. His music isn't just bought by musicians, and therefore the opinions of those who aren't musicians must be taken into account as well. I think the main thing should be that the criticism is well thought out and put forward in a sensible manner and really when addressing creative people, it should be given in a way which is helpful, encouraging and supportive.
Of course, a lot depends on the nature of the criticism, and I don't personally think that ordering Mike around like he's a robot serves much useful purpose, as I don't feel it's particularly helpful or encouraging, and I certainly don't feel that it's supportive.

Likewise, I don't feel that issuing commands to other board users serves much constructive purpose either - everyone's welcome to bring their views here, even if they are critical of Mike. I would hope that users on this board are all going to be sensible enough not to need shutting up, and that's all I'll say on that part of the matter...

Play nice now!
Profile PM 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: July 18 2003, 05:05

I am not criticising Mike - he is a professional, i love his music and his talent - this is just my opinion.
You do not have agree with it, everybody have their own point of view.
TB2003 sounds great (lot of bass etc.) but for me it just not it...
Anyway - TB2003 is quite controversial...

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: July 18 2003, 14:28

Wise words Korgscrew......however, having not visited the boards for a while, Fallen Angel's comment in this thread gave me one of the best laughs I've had for weeks! ;)

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: July 18 2003, 21:17

I agree that it is unfair to expect every album to be absolutely fantastic. I could say I have been guilty of this myself in the past, but I realise that Mike, or anyone else who makes music, is not making music for me, he is making music that he wants to make, and if I happen to like it that is a bonus as far as I'm concerned. Obviously, there will be pressure by record companies, fans etc, but it is obvious to me that Mike seriously wanted to make this new recording. Whatever he does next, I wish him luck, and I hope he continues for as long as he enjoys it.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 19 2003, 10:34

I, as a listener and fan, have the obvious right of having opinions on Mike's music. I can like one album and dislike another, it's a right that I have. Also, I have the right of giving my opinions on what Mike should do. Yes, I think TBII was a letdown. Yes, I think the excessive amount of TB remakes is unnecessary. Yes, I think TB2003 was a good idea. I am a listener, I can give opinions! I can criticise, too. "Damn, those synths are corny!" "Wow, that melody is really deep." "That song is pretty, but it's lacking a bit." It's my opinion, after all. Of course, I do understand that I'm NOT going to change Mike's thoughts whenever I want to, and I can differentiate between "opinions" and, I dunno, "orders." If I say he should do something closer to what he did on the 70's, I doubt he WILL do it according to my opinion. But I truthfully believe it would be nice because it's MY opinion.

I am a musician myself, but I can recognize that I would never make something to the height of, say, Amarok (though I think I can top "Into Wonderland". :D jk). But it's not because of that that I can't give opinions in his music! I'm a listener, I know what I like (in your wardrobe... ops, sorry), and I know what I dislike. I know what sounds nice to me and what sound horrible. I know my feelings! If I can write music or not, that's another point. Making music is different from listening to music. When I put on Amarok, I'm listening to it, not trying to immitate it!

I think the opinions given on here are rather valid. I still can't give my own opinions on TB2003, and I don't think I ever will. :/ But then again, when it comes to music, anyone can have opinions, be they musicians or not.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
MO fan Offline

Posted: July 19 2003, 13:34

Everyone has a right to an opinion even though they may be in the minority.

Being a fan of Mikes right from the start, awaiting each album with antisipation over the years, I feel that I am reasonably qualified to know what good Mike Oldfield music is all about.

I would unfortunatly agree now after listening to the album umteen times that TB2003 was a total waste of talent. I also assume many fans will secretly agree with this, as there has been far to many TB variations.

Mikes talents must be better used than just creating these repeated works.

The best thing that came out of the album was that trippy copy protection as it gave me an excuse to return it to the shop.

On the positive side. At least now, Mike will be moving on to something more creative and unique, and I hope it is not that far away in the future to the next album (hopefully copy protection free).

Cheers, MO fan  :D
Profile PM 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: July 19 2003, 13:43

That's right - Everybody have free voice!!!

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: July 19 2003, 13:48

I do not like this album and nobody can change my mind if i don't want to!!!

come on, we are all people - listeners have choice.

Even when i am a Mike Oldfield fan i can not like some of his stuff...

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 19 2003, 16:14

Uhh...yes...that's just great, dude. Rock on. Hate it if you like.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
maria Offline

Posted: July 20 2003, 11:01

i do think the listener's got voice and also the choice to listen or not to a musician in case what he did is not "the expected", but i find no sense at all in getting angry when an artist does something which is not "good" from the listener's point of view, no sense regarding the fact that an artist usually does what he/she needs to do when he/she feels like to do it... well, i know this is simplyfing a bit the matter cause there's always business around an artist, so there's the influence of companies, markets and so, but anyway... the listener's got the last choice then... when an artist does something one doesn't like, there's always more art around to enjoy, but asking him/her to do this or that or the opposite is crying in the desert... imho.
it's fair to state one's opinion, that's why forums exist, but there are different ways to express opinions and i find a bit disgusting "too strong", or "too demanding" and in some few cases, even insulting opinions... not really healthy or constructive. (it's not that i mean this is what happens along this topic but i've seen it in others in this place)

about tb2003, he chose re recording tubular bells and it was his right. i was also among those who were afraid of loosing something with it and i stated it here, but there's something good in this album, the proof that mike oldfield's got a lot of power in his brain and hands, and that's good for me cause he can use it whenever he wants and ok, i don't mind waiting for a new album as i've done along the years cause the waiting time is not empty, there's always more music around.

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
TNT Offline

Posted: July 20 2003, 20:12

I really enjoy Mike Oldfield's music(jk/ I love it :D ) And I want to know what's whit all the fuzz about the copy protection.The album sounds worst with it?(jk). I haven't bought it yet, i'll buy it next month.... so please tell me if in europe the album has Copy Protection or not.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: July 20 2003, 21:22

It's a little off topic here, but yes, the album sounds worse with this form of copy protection - how much worse will depend on your CD player's error correction, but an error-corrected piece of digital audio will never be as good a reproduction as the original error-free signal.
The european edition is copy protected, the canadian one isn't...and the US one is still to come.

The best sound to be had should be from the DVD-A, of course. I say should, as I can't guarantee that Warner won't make a mess somehow ("What do you mean you wanted a 24 bit master? I'm sure you said 4 on the phone...")
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2003, 15:14

my free speech opinion:

i love this album. the sound quality is way better than the original.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
20 replies since June 09 2003, 07:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net