Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I don't know why I  don't like it.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 02 2008, 04:00

When you think about it, TB is really akin to chamber music rather than orchestral, because you seldom have great masses of instruments playing together. Given the theory that each instrument stands for a voice, the orchestral TB is a work about human beings en masse, rather than expressing the more personal vision of the original TB. Rather than an orchestral version, I probably would have preferred to to see a version scored for string trio, quartet, or quintet. A piano quartet might have worked well too.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: June 02 2008, 13:32

Quote (nightspore @ June 02 2008, 04:00)
When you think about it, TB is really akin to chamber music rather than orchestral, because you seldom have great masses of instruments playing together. Given the theory that each instrument stands for a voice, the orchestral TB is a work about human beings en masse, rather than expressing the more personal vision of the original TB.

I think that's a really good way of thinking about it Nightspore, I hear much 'space' in the original Tubular Bells, allowing us to appreciate the voices of the instruments, the melodies, the weaving of musical ideas. Tubular Bells for me will always be a beautiful, multifaceted gem that sparkles and catches the light from many angles. It makes us want to look at it in every way. Whereas something like Music of the Spheres is more of a smooth cabochon, polished and perfect, lovely to hold, elegant and refined. Both have a place in my view. And for me, Mike has proved he is more than capable of having the ability to create 'classical music'.

But I would still secretly love to hear MOTS played and recorded by one man, ( who could that be then?! !;)) with maybe a couple of guest musicians... acoustic & electric guitars, earthy percussion, etc etc.!! I think it could work very well.

I am still a very reluctant listener of Orchestral Tubular Bells, it remains so heavy and thick to my ears.

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 03 2008, 07:34

Bee, I'm pleased my comments were useful. I agree that it would be great to hear a version of Music of the Spheres scored for reduced forces. What do you think of The Orchestral Hergest Ridge? I think that works better than the orchestral TB, in many ways. On the other hand, I'm not as familiar with HR as I am with TB.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 10 2014, 04:40

I know Mike played acoustic/classical guitar on this album, but is it correct that he recorded his guitar part at a different time to the orchestra? I seem to remember he recorded it in a church or something? Is that right?

Ok, I've just found out Mike overdubbed his guitar at Worcester Cathedral, why did he do it there?
Profile PM 
MadTheDJ Offline

Posted: April 27 2014, 01:34

Honestly, I don't even consider it a Mike Oldfield album. In my opinion, it's a David Bedford adaptation of Mike's work which Mike doesn't really like. Yes, he appears on it, but only in re-recording the guitar part and even years later he still doesn't like the composition.

I like classical music. I like David Bedford's work (for the most part). I see what they were going for here and it was a valiant effort. The album is not bad, but it just makes me want to listen to the original. Virgin has it catalogued as an Oldfield album, but I think that had more to do with marketing and them not knowing what else to do with it.

Mike's lack of involvement in its conception and development is key for me. That it's an adaptation of his work and he recorded an instrument on it is for me beside the point. He's had more direct involvement in other guest appearances over the years than he did on Orch TB, and the end result here is a work he's kept as far from his own projects as he can.  

Just my opinion. :-)

--------------
Buy The Mike Oldfield Chronology book at: http://tinyurl.com/klyfvuc
Profile PM 
24 replies since April 27 2004, 01:42 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net