Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: I am taking my copy back for a refund, Quality and Copy protection< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 05 2003, 13:54

I hope Warner decides to rerelease the album without the stupid copy protection. If they don't do so, then they're just stupid.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Mr Angry
Unregistered

Posted: June 05 2003, 14:16

I am so angry and furious, as I have waited for months now, looking foward to this new version of Tubular bells.

What did I not bargain for was CD PLAYING FAILURE DUE TO DICEY COPY PROTECTION

I had to return it like many others :(

We should all sign a petition on this forum as Mike Oldfield fans, send it to Warner and a copy to Mike and say we refuse any more albums with this tripe on it, cause it does not stop copying, it just stops the album instead and thus it upsets his fans.

What worries me is this going to be on all Mike's future albums?  :O   STOP THE ROT NOW !
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 05 2003, 15:25

Nearest to a petition is the poll where most people have voted to put up with being treated with contempt in this way by the record company ;)

I suggest that anyone annoyed finds the address/phone number of their local branch of the record company and gets in touch...
Mike can also be contacted via mikeoldfield.org, and perhaps if enough complaints go in that direction, something can be done about it from that side.

Very interesting to hear that all CDs have been withdrawn from Virgin - I heard that Tower Records in Piccadilly Circus, London, also has no copies on the shelves (though no proof that this is due to the copy protection issue); I've yet to check there myself. I've also not seen any copies in a few independent stores I've looked in, which I suspect may also be down to them not wanting to stock copy protected discs.
I actually suspect that the album's low chart entry position may have something to do with it being a copy protected disc as as well...

I also don't care whether it's good music or not (though the record company do - they want everyone to buy it and keep it even if they can't play it...even fact, they'd really love you to buy several). I think it has to be seen in business terms; elsewhere on the board I compared artists on major labels to characters like Ronald McDonald - they're friendly faces to a ruthless business.
Profile PM 
bevy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 05 2003, 15:35

patch is out now : ))))
Profile PM 
smcpoland
Unregistered

Posted: June 05 2003, 16:06

Sorry bevy - can u elaborate - no understand - patch is out?
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 05 2003, 17:40

Can it be that the loooooooooooong delay of the CD's release date in Italy may be due to people complaining of the silly copy protection stuff? :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Piltdown Man
Unregistered

Posted: June 05 2003, 20:30

Copy Protection?

I was appalled to hear all these gaps in the music when I first played my copy of TB 2003.

This sort of protection is fine for albums that have defined track endings, I've no problems with that.
But why, oh why did WEA decide to give this album this sort of treatment?

It totally ruins the natural flow of the album when the whole piece is broken up into it's "newer" individual titled track sections.

I got round the problem by making a high quality WAV sample of the whole album and burning it back to it's traditional two track format on CD-R and now I've got a perfect copy to listen to now!

I don't wish to promote music piracy in any form, but after spending good money for a cd of whatever music artist,
the listener has the right to hear the music piece in the way it was meant to be heard, not how the record company or the copy protection dictates it to be heard?

I think WEA and the record industry have shot themselves in the foot if they make botched releases like this, it will only enrage and encourage people to use their CD Burners more!

And I bet that if Mike Oldfield really knew how his new album sounded with this copy protection in place and how much it has upset people, he'd might have wished he had not signed up to the likes of WEA?
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 06 2003, 13:24

I think there are smaller labels which could actually handle Mike's work just as well as Warner do (well actually, I don't think that there are many small-medium labels which would have made this much of a mess), and actually care about Mike's music a bit more in the process.

I still don't think that people should be fixing problems with the product which shouldn't be there in the first place - maybe if this was a really cheap release things would be different (I mean, if it only cost a few pounds/euros, I'd be more willing to accept having to come up with a fix to get it to play, but TB2003 is a premium-priced release, not a budget-edition).

I'd doubt there's any reason for the delayed release in Italy. There was certainly no obvious reason for the delayed release of Tres Lunas in the UK.
But who knows - perhaps they're manufacturing a non-copy protected edition as we speak, and are waiting until those are done before the release in Italy, Canada and all the other places which are still waiting for it. I'd not hold your breath about that, though.
Profile PM 
marvindj Offline

Posted: June 06 2003, 19:11

I'm worried now after reading all this. I bought the 2 disc set from CD wow at a great price and have enjoyed it a lot. No doubt next time i'm going to be looking out for all the glitches. Have noticed the double Mandolin and whillst i was wondering why i did think it part of the new effect. I was less happy with the 5.1 mixes on the second disc as i thought the bass guitar moved about too much. However i did put this down to my Decoder not being set up correctly. I have to agree that promotion has been woefull. I only found out the CD was even coming out by accident (i havent listened much to Mikes music for a couple of years) One major point in all of this is that i have revisited Tubular Bells 1 -3 and need to rapidly bring myself back into the fold. I will be on this forum a lot in comming weeks to get ideas and inspiration. One final point i cant agree that fans are sick of Tubular Bells, how many times now has Dark Side Of The Moon been reissued and thats still the same piece of work. At least Mike has moved on and given us familiar works with a twist

--------------
I also like beer and i also like cheese !
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: June 07 2003, 00:54

Well, I'll probably have to get it from overseas, being in Australia, so if it stops, clicks, pops or breaks my CD player I will be VERY annoyed. I'll wait till I get it, but if It dosen't work I will have to download it.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
DBZLuisD Offline

Posted: June 07 2003, 12:19

I don't Like the Copy Protection of the RIAA (Record Indutry Audio of America), but i don't going to retur the disc only that i can't hear it in my car and in my computer, the album is great!

--------------
I'm not "Guilty"
Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Posted: June 07 2003, 16:20

The music is great.  Mike's breathed new life into TB.  It sounds wonderful; I'm pleased.  I really love the new Caveman track.  Cleese's voice is perfect for this.  I laughed when I heard how he performed.

But life at best is bittersweet.  The damn copy protection software skips, pauses, pops and stops at the end and sometimes in the middle of every track!

I understand the industry's efforts to prevent theft, but they have to face the facts:  EVERYTHING CAN BE COPIED!  I rip all my music to the hard drive so I don't have to insert the CDs.  I don't support piracy.  For those of us who use their computer systems as stereos :), this only interrupts the flow of the music.  Looks like this'll have to be the exception to my practice until something changes...or I get hold of an "illegal", unprotected copy  hahaha.

They sure could've done a better job trying to copy protect CDs.  If others have managed to rip it, why keep it on there?  I'm sure it plays just fine on regular stereos, but who has those anymore?  Everyone I know uses their computer for everything.  And what happens if (when) windows XP becomes out of date, and TB2003's player is no longer compatible with the OS?  What will they do, release a new version and make us pay for an upgrade?  Or waste millions of dollars replacing everyone's disks with an upgrade?

And here's a thought: can the entire disk simply to copied to the hard drive and then burned onto multiple disks?  You might be able to distribute hundreds of these protected CDs anyway, and the end result will still be the same as if the copy protection software wasn't there!  Copy protection isn't complete until you prevent the whole disk from being copied, too.  I haven't tried it, but I can copy individual files from the disk so maybe it's possible.

I can't return my CD because over the internet is the only way to buy his music in the USA.  And you don't want to get caught up in returns over the internet!  I don't think I would return it.  I'd rather wait for the recall so I can enjoy the music in the meantime--ignoring the annoying pops and stalls haha.

Let me know if there is a recall.  Such great music ruined by such advanced/annoying technology.
Profile PM 
Mr Very Angry
Unregistered

Posted: June 07 2003, 18:55

"But life at best is bittersweet.  The damn copy protection software skips, pauses, pops and stops at the end and sometimes in the middle of every track!"

I am sorry as you live in the states you cannot return it but for all others in the good old UK. If your album does the above, then return it and COMPLAIN.

THE MORE RETURNS, THE QUICKER THE MUSIC INDUSTRY WILL HAVE TO RETHINK THIS COPY PROTECTION MALARKY.
bevy Offline

Posted: June 07 2003, 21:41

Quote (Guest @ June 05 2003, 16:06)
Sorry bevy - can u elaborate - no understand - patch is out?

would love 2 but i may get banned. pm me :D
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: June 08 2003, 00:02

TOBY: I was talking about just the music. It *is* amazing. And while you ask how I can say 'don't worry about it, it's awesome' I'd rather have a positive influence on someone to make them go listen to the music then a negative one. Ie- 'Don't listen to it, it stinks!' They can find out for themselves, yes. But I don't think anyone should be on a crusade to stop anyone from listening to it (I'm not talking about the copy protection issue. I have nothing against people returning the cd because of problems. If my copy when I get it doesn't work, I'll return it. If it does, I'll keep it. Everyone else can do what they want.)

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 08 2003, 09:18

You're completely right, sorry chap I think there's been a bit of a misunderstanding on my part. I thought you were talking about the copy protection issue and not the quality of the music. My apologies.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: June 08 2003, 13:24

Not a problem, dude. :)

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 09 2003, 08:53

Don't even think about patching it - that's for the record company to do. If you got sold car tyres with punctures in, would you patch those?

People returning these CDs is having an effect, and will continue to have one as long as people keep doing it.

And what happens if (when) windows XP becomes out of date, and TB2003's player is no longer compatible with the OS?  What will they do, release a new version and make us pay for an upgrade?  Or waste millions of dollars replacing everyone's disks with an upgrade?

Let's just say, it won't be the latter ;)
It may not be the former either - they probably don't care enough to update it when the technology becomes obsolete, just as they don't care that it doesn't support non-windows sytems at the moment.
Profile PM 
Qba
Unregistered

Posted: June 13 2003, 07:02

Quote (Fox @ June 07 2003, 16:20)
The music is great.  Mike's breathed new life into TB.  It sounds wonderful; I'm pleased.  I really love the new Caveman track.  Cleese's voice is perfect for this.  I laughed when I heard how he performed.

But life at best is bittersweet.  The damn copy protection software skips, pauses, pops and stops at the end and sometimes in the middle of every track!

I understand the industry's efforts to prevent theft, but they have to face the facts:  EVERYTHING CAN BE COPIED!  I rip all my music to the hard drive so I don't have to insert the CDs.  I don't support piracy.  For those of us who use their computer systems as stereos :), this only interrupts the flow of the music.  Looks like this'll have to be the exception to my practice until something changes...or I get hold of an "illegal", unprotected copy  hahaha.

They sure could've done a better job trying to copy protect CDs.  If others have managed to rip it, why keep it on there?  I'm sure it plays just fine on regular stereos, but who has those anymore?  Everyone I know uses their computer for everything.  And what happens if (when) windows XP becomes out of date, and TB2003's player is no longer compatible with the OS?  What will they do, release a new version and make us pay for an upgrade?  Or waste millions of dollars replacing everyone's disks with an upgrade?

And here's a thought: can the entire disk simply to copied to the hard drive and then burned onto multiple disks?  You might be able to distribute hundreds of these protected CDs anyway, and the end result will still be the same as if the copy protection software wasn't there!  Copy protection isn't complete until you prevent the whole disk from being copied, too.  I haven't tried it, but I can copy individual files from the disk so maybe it's possible.

I can't return my CD because over the internet is the only way to buy his music in the USA.  And you don't want to get caught up in returns over the internet!  I don't think I would return it.  I'd rather wait for the recall so I can enjoy the music in the meantime--ignoring the annoying pops and stalls haha.

Let me know if there is a recall.  Such great music ruined by such advanced/annoying technology.

You're more than right, Fox.

I am also using my notebook to listen to the music (both MP3 and regular CDs). Luckily, I've got a CDRW/DVD combo drive, so it can play both discs from the TB2003 set. And it plays the CD tracks, not the compressed audio! Most CD-burners should do this.

To bury the WEA's "playback prevention" even deeper, a popular commercial CD burning package can rip the CDA tracks with all necessary corrections to a hard drive. WEA should expect a large number of bootlegged, top-quality unprotected records (DON'T BUY BOOTLEGS)

As a rule, I never buy pirated music. But this time I hope WEA loses more than it gains.  :p
Slartibartfast
Unregistered

Posted: June 13 2003, 09:36

"As a rule, I never buy pirated music. But this time I hope WEA loses more than it gains."

It is lossing, there are plenty CD's getting returned in the UK.

So why is Canadas copy protection free and we are not?  

Thats right descrimination.

WE DEMAND TO BE FREE OF COPY PROTECTION
113 replies since May 31 2003, 05:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net