Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hypotetical situation 2: Live Amarok, Who would you like to see in it?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 28 2002, 19:11

Let's imagine an hypotetical situation just like someone else did some time ago...  ;) Mike organizes a live premiere of Amarok, and he asks suggestions from fans about who should he involve in playing, where shall he perform it, etc. Reply and say anything you want: after all it's just a dream.  :)

Remember that:
1) Mike has said once that he'd neet 8 super-fast guitarists to play Amarok live. So try not to pick slow ones. ;)

2) Samples are allowed. After all, 'Happy' is nothing but a sample. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 29 2002, 00:19

I'd search around and find a group of musicians who could really do the piece justice, rather than going for a bunch of top names (because though many name players may be able to play the right notes, it's of course a question of sound and feel as well). Most economical would be to find some versatile players who can play several instruments, which shouldn't be impossible - that way you don't have people there the whole time just to play an instrument which only comes in once or twice.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: July 29 2002, 05:47

My suggested musicians will all be pretty interesting, because I don't know many guitarists. I suppose I would have to pick Steve Howe, who plays in Yes. He's the best guitarist I know apart from Mike. Kevin Peek from Sky would be another choice, as well as John Williams for the acoustic bits. I would have to suggest Rick Wakeman for keyboards, only there are no real keyboard solos. Probably all the guitarists from the TB II/III DVD as well. I'll have a think about it.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: July 29 2002, 06:06

Interestingly, I mentioned John Williams as an example when I discussed this with Ugo before - I was saying how some of the best suited people to play Amarok may be acoustic musicians who also play some electric guitar. John Williams isn't really known for playing electric guitar, but he did do it on at least one of his albums (just some clean parts, no wild Marshall amp turned up to 11 moments ;) ) and I don't think it sounds a million miles away from Mike...I think it would be interesting to hear Amarok played by people like him.
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: July 29 2002, 06:08

My argument would probably follow Korgscrew's a little. I'd also like to see a fan's Amarok- a group of MO fans playing Amarok. It seems to me that some fans are likely to know quite a bit of Amarok and be able to play it at least half-decently- we've heard some of the results on things like Static 18 and 19, on the Amarok List music pages, and of course the new fan music section of the fora here. So I'd like to suggest various fans as at least some of the musicians, if not necessarilly all of them.

Would people like Korgscrew object if they were on the list?
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Posted: July 29 2002, 09:49

Maybe Duo Sonare, the guys who recorded an acoustic version of Tubular Bells.
Profile PM 
greenback Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2003, 01:06

Oldfield will need:

1) Joe Satriani
2) Ingwie Malmsteen
3) Vinnie Moore
4) Donald Charles
5) Michel Cusson
6) Himself
7) Pat Metheny
8) Robert Fripp
9) Steve Vai
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2003, 10:32

Half of those guitarists have egos so large that they'd not all fit into the same building (I'm thinking of Yngwie Malmsteen especially)...I can't see the likes of Vai, Malmsteen and Satriani fitting very well into a performance of Amarok - they're all in a particular mould and I can't really see them stepping outside it. Jazz players like Pat Metheny might work better, and Mike has voiced respect for Robert Fripp in the past, though I suppose if Mike felt that he could work with him, they'd have done so already.

Looks like I missed Tim's question when he posted it...I'd not mind being on the list, though whether Mike and I could go through all the rehearsals needed without ending up strangling each other with discarded guitar strings is another matter...
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2003, 12:06

Quote (greenback @ Mar. 11 2003, 06:06)
Oldfield will need:

2) Ingwie Malmsteen

when hell freezes over

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2003, 15:02

Perhaps Yngwie could be the one used for the face slap sound...
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2003, 07:26

Since I first sugested some guitarists here, I got the Roger Waters, Live in Berlin DVD and discovered Pink Floyd. I would have to suggest the great guitarists from the DVD: Doyle Bramhall II, Snowy White and Andy Fairweather Lowe. I would also suggest David Gilmour, but they have had ego clashes before. Its unfortunate in a way that we have a lot of these ego clashes, but I suppose someone needs to be the one lead guitarist, but if you happen to be Joe Santarini then you might wonder why your part is smaller than Mikes, who really isn't recognised as a guitarist.

However, a few people have worked with Mike in the past. Going through the discography, I can see Rick Fenn from FMO and Crises, and Adrian Belew's amazing piece on FAr Country from Earth Moving makes him a definate Amarok candidate. It just goes to show what's possable, although, in all possability, it probably won't happen. We can all hope, though!

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2014, 05:51

I doubt we'll ever hear a live performance of Amarok from Mike now, which is a shame. I'm sure he could have found the required guitarists to play it, but like has been said, many of those really famous ones would need some series money to put their ego's aside to do it.
Profile PM 
MasterGeek.MX Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2014, 15:36

331ERock and Publio Delgdo could make something to help it.

--------------
Hailings from a Mexican Mike Oldfield's fan.

Y chingue su madre el que no le guste Campanas Tubulares!
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2014, 16:43

Amarok could easily have been arranged for the band that did Tubular Bells II live.

Having performed the piece myself, I think Mike's assertion that it would require 8 guitarists is somewhat exaggerated. It would take closer to 4 in my opinion.

I'd nominate Allan Holdsworth for the "fast waltz" and "lion reprise" sections. Don't know if Mike's fingers can still move that fast.
Profile PM WEB 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2014, 00:20

Quote (raven4x4x @ Mar. 12 2003, 07:26)
Adrian Belew's amazing piece on FAr Country from Earth Moving makes him a definate Amarok candidate.

I think he only plays half of that, but I agree it is amazing nonetheless. I had a tape where I chopped out the rest of the song and just listened to the solo over and over. Possibly Earth Moving's only saving grace. Well, that and Nikki B Bentley.  :cool:
Profile PM 
14 replies since July 28 2002, 19:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net