[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: HR + Ommadawn reissue details confirmed< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Pat Gleeson Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 27 2010, 16:17

I notice quite a difference in running time on HR Part 1

1974 - 21'32"
2010 - 19'21"

Part 2 is much the same. Interesting. The boxed mix was slightly longer than the original mix if I remember correctly.

Hergest Ridge

There is more than I dared hope left of the lost Ommadawn tape  

Ommadawn
Profile PM 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: April 27 2010, 16:33

those dont sell so fast as i expected or it show false info...im still able to order 100 copies each

noticed also if you buy more than 2 (atleast outside of UK), shipping cost drops greatly...shipping for 2 to finland cost 19e but if you add 1 or more in order, shipping cost drops to 6e only so if you and your local friends going to get it, make group order so you save shipping :P

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: April 27 2010, 17:27

I've just realised we're paying 74.99 each for HR & Omm LDs

and there's no massive book !!! as with TB LD  :(
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: April 27 2010, 20:34

I must be honest, I don't care at all for the new HR artwork. The original is a classic and shouldn't be messed with. And Google Earth?! C'mon, how cheesy is that? And for 75 pounds? As much as I love this music, it's just not worth it.
Profile PM 
Willem Offline

Posted: April 28 2010, 05:15

Ohhhh!!!

After such a terrible experience with the TB vinyl, I'm not going ahead with HR and O'dawn. Prices are very high, there's no cool book included and the artwork isn't really interesting or even important enought to buy. The only interesting thing might be the 'lost recordings/demo's', but it'll catch my ear sooner or later anyway.

What I miss here is something REALLY interesting. Like a vinyl copy which is a 300grs Direct Metal Mastering. THEN you have value for money in the first place and the vinyl record would be Ltd Ed anyway. I remember Mike likes or liked himself to be an "Ambassador for instrumental music" but where will you find this back? He almost never shows himself in the open, there isn't many GREAT footage of mike playing, there's no really significant sheet music, he didn't do MTV's Unplugged in the nineties which would've been really really cool (just imagine!!;). Now, with these two re-releases, this is somewhat of a change to do really something but no! It's the same TB-mistake again.

It would've been nice for each album to have a book included in which Mike tells us about the recording, the  composing and playing, or a DVD containing a 4 hour interview with Mike talking about the album in which he tells us all he can remember about the recording of the album, including Mike playing many parts of it on many of the instruments used. It would've been really nice to have really good sheet music of TB, HR and O'dawn, with each part written out, so young kids (and myself;-) can LEARN(!;) and study the music they like so much. THAT would make a difference!

What I really like to have is HQ footage of the Knebworth performance. It needs some remixing and definitely some remastering. Put this on DVD with additional footage if available and I'll buy it!
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: April 28 2010, 05:46

Quote (Willem @ April 28 2010, 05:15)
Ohhhh!!!

After such a terrible experience with the TB vinyl, I'm not going ahead with HR and O'dawn. Prices are very high, there's no cool book included and the artwork isn't really interesting or even important enought to buy. The only interesting thing might be the 'lost recordings/demo's', but it'll catch my ear sooner or later anyway.

What I miss here is something REALLY interesting. Like a vinyl copy which is a 300grs Direct Metal Mastering. THEN you have value for money in the first place and the vinyl record would be Ltd Ed anyway. I remember Mike likes or liked himself to be an "Ambassador for instrumental music" but where will you find this back? He almost never shows himself in the open, there isn't many GREAT footage of mike playing, there's no really significant sheet music, he didn't do MTV's Unplugged in the nineties which would've been really really cool (just imagine!!;). Now, with these two re-releases, this is somewhat of a change to do really something but no! It's the same TB-mistake again.

It would've been nice for each album to have a book included in which Mike tells us about the recording, the  composing and playing, or a DVD containing a 4 hour interview with Mike talking about the album in which he tells us all he can remember about the recording of the album, including Mike playing many parts of it on many of the instruments used. It would've been really nice to have really good sheet music of TB, HR and O'dawn, with each part written out, so young kids (and myself;-) can LEARN(!;) and study the music they like so much. THAT would make a difference!

What I really like to have is HQ footage of the Knebworth performance. It needs some remixing and definitely some remastering. Put this on DVD with additional footage if available and I'll buy it!

He has actually revisited the music as opposed to just talking about the good old days in some lame documentary. And thank you jesus christ that he didn't do the unplugged thing. He does have some integrity.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Willem Offline

Posted: April 28 2010, 07:16

Yeah, selling music everone already has, but this time with a google earth artwork is really much more inspiring indeed! And it justifies the amount of money asked for it as well.

Mike, just show up on stage and play some ass kicking guitar!!
Profile PM WEB 
ingresman Offline

Posted: April 28 2010, 07:41

Two comments:
1.If Mike didn't like the Steve Hillage playing why not either remove it from the mix or put it on himself now. The cynic in me says when it does get released there will be a hughe song and dance !
2. I really like the classic album series where the band/engineer will get the multitrack out and play isolated sounds and talk about why certain things happended. (remember Blue Peter on errr Blue Peter !;) I wonder why TB (at the very least) didn't get that treatment. I for one would love that. And if Mike wanted to produce his own version perhaps for download - then go for it !
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 28 2010, 09:02

Quote (ingresman @ April 28 2010, 13:41)
1.If Mike didn't like the Steve Hillage playing why not either remove it from the mix or put it on himself now.

I imagine it would sound really weird and out of place if Mike, with his current playing style and sound, re-recorded the guitars for OHR. I can't imagine he'd want to do that either.
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: April 28 2010, 09:12

Quote (ingresman @ April 28 2010, 07:41)
Two comments:
1.If Mike didn't like the Steve Hillage playing why not either remove it from the mix or put it on himself now. The cynic in me says when it does get released there will be a hughe song and dance !

In this instance probably because the Orchestral Hergest Ridge was a live recording (both of them, there's two I believe). When recording an orchestra, though mics will be closer to some instruments than others, there will always be a lot of 'bleed' into the other mics. Basically Hillage's guitar will have come through most of the mics rendering it impossible to remove from the mix.

In terms of what people are saying about this release selling to us what we've already got, well I guess I can empathize but....Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn would have been released anyway because the old releases ran out. Atleast this way we have the demos and a proper remastering which Hergest Ridge always desperately needed. The recent Tubular Bells remastering demonstrated that the technology is now in place to really clean up old recordings. I don't think an Arctic Fox could have heard much of an improvement in the 90's remastering of Tubular Bells but the 2009 one on the other hand; Beethoven could  have picked out the improvement there. Besides if you're not into the idea you're not obliged to buy it!

Going back the Orchestral Hergest Ridge, has anyone seen the TV performance of it? It was on the BBC back when it was performed in 1974 or so.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 28 2010, 10:57

Just a question for all those who have ordered your limited signed editions...what is the current status of your orders,I know that some people have "backordered"...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 28 2010, 11:22

#Order Number 3018437
Order Status Backordered
Profile PM 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: April 28 2010, 11:43

is there any kind other status for those who ordered yesterday?

--------------
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
Profile PM 
Tubak Offline

Posted: April 28 2010, 12:06

#Order Number 3018401
Order Status Backordered
(Yesterday, 16:44 pm)
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: April 28 2010, 14:10

order confirmation - 3018385

Status -Backordered

Some people say that it is not allowed to buy more copies of these Limited Ed boxes, so it seems that they were actually counting orders.
Profile PM 
Olly Offline

Posted: April 28 2010, 14:40

I also ordered both boxes
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: April 28 2010, 15:08

Order Date   27-04-2010
Order Number 3018432
Order Status Backordered

Edited by manintherain on April 28 2010, 15:08
Profile PM 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: April 28 2010, 15:17

looks like those are sold out by now since there is no longer "add to basket" button

Some people say that it is not allowed to buy more copies of these Limited Ed boxes, so it seems that they were actually counting orders

I dunno if they changed that later but i ordered 4 copies total (2 of both) so friend can get also.

--------------
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: April 28 2010, 16:25

Quote (Korgscrew @ April 26 2010, 08:55)
mikeoldfieldofficial.com.

I like the photo of Mike - you can stand under my umbrella, ella, ella, eh, eh, eh - effect. Very nice artwork :cool:.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 28 2010, 16:32

Both of my orders - bought with 2 different credit cards - are on "backordered" status...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
82 replies since April 26 2010, 08:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net