Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: HR + Ommadawn reissue details confirmed< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
larstangmark Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 26 2010, 17:00

I must admit that the new HR cover art is great and very much in the spirit of the original cover. We didn't have to know it's google earth though. It makes it sound cheaper than it looks.

I generally don't buy records anymore, I just download. But I want Spanish Tune. Why no Spanish Tune on digital download?

I'm so looking forward to this. These albums have been criminally ignored and under-appreciated for 35 years now. Time they get the royal treatment that legendary albums deserve.  :)
Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 26 2010, 17:11

I'm trying, and not quite succeeding, to contain my excitement about this. Hergest Ridge is one of my favourite albums and I *really* *really* want to hear this 5.1 remix. It could be something absolutely stunning.......

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: April 26 2010, 17:23

The teardrop "D" 's in Mike's surname on the revised HR cover...Crocodile tears for the old version?  ;)

CR

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
Ommadawn59 Offline

Posted: April 26 2010, 18:19

HR Deluxe will be released in Japan as Mini LP CD. Usually the first press UK Artwork is used. So if we are lucky, the japanese version will include the artwork, we're all familar with. But probably they have to use the latest artwork.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: April 26 2010, 18:33

it's very rare that I comment on here these days.

I have to say the new artwork is an unexpected and needed change!  Although, the original is classic, and extraordinarily dated, it has it's charm.  The new Google Earth take is a brilliant concept and a nice clean change from rover and the glider.  Change is good... as long they aren't screwing up the music!  

I pre-ordered my copies on Amazon.co.uk... since America isn't going to get this for a while... and it'll probably be outrageously overpriced like TB Deluxe and Ultimate.  The dollar may suck right now... but even if with the exchange rate... I save soooo much money by buying British in America :)  I do the same with DVD's.  

TB has been overdone and repackaged so much I can't keep track of it.  HR and Ommadawn are indeed albums to look forward too!  TB was ridiculously impressive in the new mix!  This will indeed be another great Birthday gift from Michael! :)
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: April 26 2010, 18:36

Additional:

Although, it will probably be years and years and years before we get to Amarok... that is the single most anticipated reworking in his catalogue... as far as I am concerned! :)  That has to be the single most interesting piece of music I have ever heard!!! :)
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: April 27 2010, 03:27

I'm guessing here but once Incantations and Exposed get re-released, I would expect that the reissues would gather more pace. The subsequent albums - save FMO and Crises - sold less and had a lower profile as the years went by. Quick multiple releases would not affect sales of these reissues as much as a simultaneous release of TB, HR and Ommadawn.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 27 2010, 04:47

Still no official release for The Orchestral Hergest Ridge then...
The new HR cover works pretty well I think. The original cover is nice in a dated sort of way, but I can't say it was ever one of my favourites. In fact I'm not sure I'd even say it fits the musical content better than the new one.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: April 27 2010, 04:50

If they continue the re-release program I sure hope they raid the archives the way they've done with TB, HR and Ommadawn.
There were obviously un-released segments from Incantations ("make way..." etc). I'm sure Mike demoed Platinum before he went into an expensive studio like Electric Lady! Ahh...wet dreams! I love stuff like that because it gives an insight to how the music was made.
I'm less hopeful about the albums that Make recorded himself (like FMO, Crises and Discovery) because there's no need to make demos in advance.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: April 27 2010, 04:58

I think I like the new Hergest Ridge artwork, I guess in terms of new sleeves its the best one for years, since the 1980's at least. The Islands and Earth Moving sleeves were bettter than the albums!

The old artwork isn't going anywhere I suppose, though I have to say the original is possibly my favorite sleeve design of all time.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: April 27 2010, 05:04

Quote (Holger @ April 27 2010, 04:47)
Still no official release for The Orchestral Hergest Ridge then...

I'm not sure we'll ever see this properly released. I think the new sleeve demonstrates that if Mike doesn't like something then it'll get changed or not released. I'm not too sure that Mike was all that pleased with Steve Hillage's guitar on that one (?). Now I'm a big fan of Steve Hillage but even I don't think his guitar quite works, he rocks out and widdles too much, it works superbly on the Gong records but it sounds a bit out of place on Hergest Ridge.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 27 2010, 05:10

I really like the new cover and i don't really give a stuff about the fact that it's from Google Earth.It just looks good.I never had a problem with original though.If you can bare to study without your eyes going squiffy it's easy to figure out how it was done.It's just one photo taken with a fish eye on the top half and then a mirror image on the bottom.Superimpose old bootleg and said glider and voila.Don't think old Trevor was that inspired this time.
 The Ommadawn on looks more black than blue though-anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: April 27 2010, 05:58

Quote (Holger @ April 27 2010, 04:47)
...The original cover is nice in a dated sort of way, but I can't say it was ever one of my favourites. In fact I'm not sure I'd even say it fits the musical content better than the new one.

Yeah, I was just thinking back to when I first got into Hergest Ridge, it always used to give me the sensation of flying over a landscape and I'm sure others feel the same way too. So in that sense the new one does work really well, perhaps that's what inspired it, if it wasn't just a google search that is.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
jjmillenium Offline

Posted: April 27 2010, 06:39

there's a lot of fragments from Incantations, but that album's lenghts is 72 minuts...so they will need to do another cd with the singles and rarities...
Profile PM 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: April 27 2010, 06:59

250 copies only? it means that they are gone in hours after they become available to order...

Is 14th june a fact that it will be available that day and not earlier? tb 2009 pre order came out from nowhere as surprise and i was kind lucky to check news before they was sold out.

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
ingresman Offline

Posted: April 27 2010, 08:00

2010 5.1 Stereo Mix by Mike Oldfield

is it stereo of 5.1 ??
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 27 2010, 09:33

Quote (3Wheeler @ April 26 2010, 10:54)
2010 remixes indicate to me some tinkering has taken place so it could be a little interesting to hear the Results... All the rest is a bit of fluff really.. :cool:

I wouldn't call all the extras fluff.For a start it'll be a chance to get a decent cd copy of the orginal HR,demo's and Spanish Tune and the 'lost' version of Ommadawn.This ain't fluff....this is stuff every one bee waiting for! :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
gths Offline

Posted: April 27 2010, 10:31

Looks great to me, as does the tracklisting, I was pretty happy with the Tubular Bells rejig but these next two were really what I was looking forward to.* At least they've gotten rid of the godawful titling on the cover that all CD issues were plagued with. I like that they've put a different take on the HR cover while keeping the general feel, but we'll probably see the Bootleg version (ha! ) turn up on the back cover or something.

I can also stop worrying about the fragility of my HR tape with the original mix - of course I dubbed it onto the computer, but I found getting rid of the tape hiss also messed with the treble on everything else. For the record I do prefer the Boxed version (sounds more pastoral and haunting a bit stripped back) and I wonder how the new mix is going to come out but at least having the original mix in digital is gonna shut a lot of you up. ;)

* Also Five Miles Out because musically it's really good but sonically it's a little bit flat, and of course Amarok, though that was produced pretty well in the first place because he seemed to find a happy medium between analogue and digital technology at that point and was giving the sequenced pop music a rest.

Platinum... now that's gonna be interesting.
Profile PM 
revster Offline

Posted: April 27 2010, 11:16

my signed copies of both ordered    :)  :)  :)  :)
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: April 27 2010, 12:03

Where from ?

Not here yet
Profile PM 
82 replies since April 26 2010, 08:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net