Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (27) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: HR + Ommadawn limited editions available to order< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
dobyblue Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 18 2010, 14:18

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ May 18 2010, 13:56)
Quote (dobyblue @ May 18 2010, 14:28)
Come on Mike, do a Blu-ray 5.1 release of TB, HR and OD, please.

We still don't have any of his released DVDs on blu-ray yet...it's a pity that this bunch of rereleases does not feature any blu-ray for our pleasure.

I think it would be great to see his DVD's on Blu-ray if the source material is in good enough shape or at least to get a lossless surround mix.

But what I'm really interested in is a high resolution AUDIO Blu-ray of the 2009/2010 Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn albums. A 50GB Blu-ray could easily fit everything that's included on the 2CD+DVD set all in 24-bit/192kHz resolution.

I mean I'd gladly take the CD+DVD set if the DVD was a DVD-Audio disc like TB 2003 then I could enjoy a lossless 24/96 multi-channel mix while those to whom fidelity is not important could enjoy the Dolby 5.1 mix on the DVD-Video layer...and I'd gladly put out for an SACD...but clearly Blu-ray is the best medium going forward for high resolution music and I think MO is missing out on being one of the leaders here along with Neil Young, Trent Reznor and Tom Petty.

I have to admit, I'm definitely bummed. I hope perhaps by 2012 we might see the Blu-ray audio editions of TB, HR and OD and moving forwards with the rest of the catalogue also.
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 18 2010, 14:51

Quote (dobyblue @ May 18 2010, 19:18)
...those to whom fidelity is not important could enjoy the Dolby 5.1 mix on the DVD-Video layer...

OK maybe I'm just a cloth eared nincompoop but I'm gonna be quite happy with a 5.1 DVD to be honest! Maybe they don't think there will be enough sales of a blu-ray DTS version to justify the effort? Could be something for the future maybe. Once they have remastered/re-released everything put all the lossless mixes together on one "bluray2.0" disk or something!

Fructus fidelitas Deo regique...

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
dobyblue Offline

Posted: May 18 2010, 15:25

Quote (Matt @ May 18 2010, 14:51)
OK maybe I'm just a cloth eared nincompoop but I'm gonna be quite happy with a 5.1 DVD to be honest! Maybe they don't think there will be enough sales of a blu-ray DTS version to justify the effort? Could be something for the future maybe. Once they have remastered/re-released everything put all the lossless mixes together on one "bluray2.0" disk or something!

Fructus fidelitas Deo regique...

Have you ever compared a 5.1 Dolby recording to a lossless 5.1 recording from the same master? There are plenty of options from all the DualDisc releases that were put out there and the DVD-A releases. I beleive TB 2003 has a DVD-Video layer doesn't it with lossy Dolby?

Anyway, it's night and day difference to my ears despite the tinnitus.

As for sales, the cost would have been absolutely minuscule to have made the DVD in the CD+DVD version a DVD-Audio disc. The most expensive part is doing the surround mix, in this case it's already done so all you need to do is author a DVD-Audio menu, which is a doddle. I too would have been completely happy with a 5.1 DVD, if it had used 5.1 MLP DVD-A track. But 448 Kbps lossy 5.1 Dolby is pretty much the bottom of the pole, and it's .mp3 quality for all intents and purposes.

And the Blu-ray doesn't need to be dts...it could be lovely uncompressed PCM.
Profile PM WEB 
Tubak Offline

Posted: May 21 2010, 12:48

Now there are some excerpts from the singles albums on amazon.
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: May 21 2010, 13:27

Quote (Tubak @ May 21 2010, 17:48)
Now there are some excerpts from the single albums on amazon.

Nice spot tubak !

So, if the Amazon site is correct:

'Spanish Tune' is an excerpt of the beginning of HR Part 2.
The 2010 mix is based more on the original 1974 LP mix than the Boxed mix.
'Maureen' is the rarer single version.

The 'Ommadawn' 2010 mix is lovely  :)  - the guitars on Part 2 are clear as a bell in fact  ;)

Hergest Ridge Audio - Amazon

Ommadawn Audio - Amazon
Profile PM 
starfish Offline

Posted: May 21 2010, 18:05

Quote (dobyblue @ May 18 2010, 14:18)

We still don't have any of his released DVDs on blu-ray yet...it's a pity that this bunch of rereleases does not feature any blu-ray for our pleasure.

I think it would be great to see his DVD's on Blu-ray if the source material is in good enough shape or at least to get a lossless surround mix.

But what I'm really interested in is a high resolution AUDIO Blu-ray of the 2009/2010 Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn albums. A 50GB Blu-ray could easily fit everything that's included on the 2CD+DVD set all in 24-bit/192kHz resolution.

I mean I'd gladly take the CD+DVD set if the DVD was a DVD-Audio disc like TB 2003 then I could enjoy a lossless 24/96 multi-channel mix while those to whom fidelity is not important could enjoy the Dolby 5.1 mix on the DVD-Video layer...and I'd gladly put out for an SACD...but clearly Blu-ray is the best medium going forward for high resolution music and I think MO is missing out on being one of the leaders here along with Neil Young, Trent Reznor and Tom Petty.

I have to admit, I'm definitely bummed. I hope perhaps by 2012 we might see the Blu-ray audio editions of TB, HR and OD and moving forwards with the rest of the catalogue also.

I'm sure Universal take great care in their marketing decisions.

But frankly they are going going to release stuff they think will sell. SACD never really caught on, and Blu-ray is still an emerging format. Hell, there are some classic films yet to be released on Blu-Ray due to lack of demand!

Blu-ray technology is still in its infancy. There are less economies of scale involved compared with older, more pupular formats such as CDs or DVDs - formats which are more than adequate for 99% of the population. Blu-ray Discs cost more and sell less. Whatever incentive is there for Universal to release such a beast?

These albums are being lovingly remastered, with demos and new mixes and bonus tracks a-plenty. Given that - unlike the evergreen Tubular Bells - they probably aren't going to sell too well outside of the hardcore Mike Oldfield fanbase, that's a wonder in itself. Sadly that's not enough for some people.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 21 2010, 18:54

@ Pat Gleeson: HR's 2010 mix is definitely taken from the original mix - I can clearly hear the instruments featured in that mix and that were removed from the Boxed remix, such as a glockenspiel at the start of Part 1 and a guitar at the start of Part 2. "Spanish Tune", which I'd never heard before, is also great. Now I really can't wait to listen to the whole thing. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: May 22 2010, 06:45

I have the original mix, so I recognised it lurking in the 2010 clip  :)
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: May 22 2010, 07:08

Hergest Ridge is sounding FRESH, these little snippets have whetted my appetite even more.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: May 23 2010, 14:44

I'm starting to get a little bit excited.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: May 24 2010, 01:30

Hell, I'm getting big excited.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 24 2010, 06:05

It's contagious Wiga. :)
Ordered my 2 today can't wait.
Profile PM 
rusinurbe Offline

Posted: May 24 2010, 11:48

Quote (starfish @ May 21 2010, 18:05)

But frankly they are going going to release stuff they think will sell. SACD never really caught on, and Blu-ray is still an emerging format. Hell, there are some classic films yet to be released on Blu-Ray due to lack of demand!

Blu-ray technology is still in its infancy. There are less economies of scale involved compared with older, more pupular formats such as CDs or DVDs - formats which are more than adequate for 99% of the population. Blu-ray Discs cost more and sell less. Whatever incentive is there for Universal to release such a beast?

These albums are being lovingly remastered, with demos and new mixes and bonus tracks a-plenty. Given that - unlike the evergreen Tubular Bells - they probably aren't going to sell too well outside of the hardcore Mike Oldfield fanbase, that's a wonder in itself. Sadly that's not enough for some people.

With the albums already mixed i get a bit fruustrated with teh lack of DVDA stream. When you look at what Robert Fripp has done with the King Crimson discs it knocks these into a cocked hat with regards to content and compatability.

so far the best bang for buck reissues I have seen are teh King Crimson discs.

In the end its the record company who have the final say and Universal I believe really dont know how many sales they are missing by not going Hi Rez in surround.
Profile PM 
Anaon Offline

Posted: May 24 2010, 12:06

My order is listed as "backordered", is it a bad thing? I'm a bit scared even if I don't really know about the TB deluxe edition fail.

--------------
> My music: http://www.spleenarcana.com
> My blog: http://www.awenwoods.com
Profile PM WEB 
Nacho Offline

Posted: May 24 2010, 15:26

Quote (Anaon @ May 24 2010, 18:06)
My order is listed as "backordered", is it a bad thing? I'm a bit scared even if I don't really know about the TB deluxe edition fail.

Don't worry, we are all backordered!
Profile PM 
Anaon Offline

Posted: May 24 2010, 16:55

Ok thanks  :p

--------------
> My music: http://www.spleenarcana.com
> My blog: http://www.awenwoods.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 24 2010, 17:47

As far as I know, "backordered" means that they have taken my order and they will care of it when the item is actually there. Obviously, the item(s) I (we) ordered still aren't there. :D So, there's nothing to worry about.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
SimonUK Offline

Posted: May 28 2010, 19:19

I see the box sets have now disappeared from the store.

--------------
"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live"
(Josh Homme, from Queens Of The Stone Age - 'Go With The Flow').
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: May 31 2010, 04:22

At the moment, at least, both limited editions are still there, but now they are clearly marked as "SOLD OUT".
Profile PM 
dobyblue Offline

Posted: May 31 2010, 09:27

Quote (starfish @ May 21 2010, 18:05)

As you may have guessed, :), I strongly disagree.
The biggest cost in this project is the additional time it takes in studio to do the 5.1 mix. This has already been done. Including a DVD-A lossless MLP track for the surround would have added ZERO cost.
As for CD's and DVD's being good enough for 99% of the population, how does that explain certain titles seeing 49% of sales on the Blu-ray format? How does that explain the ever-dwindling CD and DVD sales? UMG should be looking to the future, not holding on to the past.
Lovingly mastered is fine, but there is nothing lovingly at all about lossy Dolby Digital.

In 2006 when Blu-ray Disc were brand new and everything was uber-expensive, a project needed to only move 20,000 units to be profitable. Now it's probably more like 200 units. Doing a DVD-A would have cost nothing extra...doing a Blu-ray would have been minimal because all that was left to do was author and press.
Profile PM WEB 
534 replies since April 27 2010, 15:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (27) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net