Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (27) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: HR + Ommadawn limited editions available to order< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Reena Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 01 2010, 03:55

Had to straighten my priorities this time....

I have chosen not to order the LE's, because I have joined my footballteam on our anual trip abroad, and that was the end of my budget.... Friends are priceless, so that's why I chose to do it like this...

Will get the De Luxe Editions though....

And, perhaps the next reissues will also have somekind of these LE's as well... As my fanship started in 1983/1984 for me especially LE's of Crises and Discovery are absolutely must haves !!!
Profile PM 
alloria Offline

Posted: June 02 2010, 11:29

How come the song On Horseback is still part of Ommadawn Part 2? Surely they could ave separated it, and given it it's own track?

I have always thought of it as a separate song, and not part of Ommadawn, am I wrong?

--------------
Hergest Ridge Limited Signed Edition Number 225.
Ommadawn Limited Signed Edition Number 236.
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: June 02 2010, 12:14

You ever been up on the Ridge. ?   Loads of Wild Horses Running About..   I guess thats where the idea Came From... Ommadawn has always been Hergest RidgeII  to my Ears...

On My Copy of Ommadawn CD VIP 185  the tk is separated so it may turn out the same way on the new edition...  It sounds OK played after Side 1  if you fancy that Track order.. !

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: June 03 2010, 14:21

Quote (alloria @ June 02 2010, 16:29)
I have always thought of it as a separate song, and not part of Ommadawn, am I wrong?

No, you are not wrong at all :-) It's all a matter of opinion.

The 'On Horseback' track has been considered a part of Ommadawn Part 2 as far back as the original vinyl release. The labels never mentioned 'On Horseback' as a seperate track in any pressings I had.
LP's in Ireland were routinely released without any picture inner sleeve - even if that sleeve was available in the UK pressing. Did the inner sleeve of 'Ommadawn' make any reference to 'On Horseback'?
Profile PM 
SimonUK Offline

Posted: June 03 2010, 16:30

Inner sleeve has just got photo of all the musicians & names. As far as I'm aware the 1st time its referred to as On Horseback is on VS117 as the B side of In Dulci Jubilo

--------------
"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live"
(Josh Homme, from Queens Of The Stone Age - 'Go With The Flow').
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 03 2010, 17:19

My Disky-labeled CD copy of Ommadawn lists "Ommadawn Part 1" and "Ommadawn Part 2 including On Horseback". :D And the CD itself has 2 tracks, but the final song is indexed.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: June 03 2010, 19:36

Amazon jut sent me a message, Ommadawn on it's way but HR "back ordered" Humph - and the money has left my account

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: June 04 2010, 04:57

Just got Ommadawn delux , nice packaging and new photos to the pull out sleeve , pictures in the booklet are simmilar to those in the original Boxed vinyll set  , cant wait to hear it .

My record store didnt have Hergest in yet but said should  be in for saturday , lets hope !!!!!

Update , There is a delay with Hergest Ridge in the UK  .
Apparently there is not enough stock at the moment , could be end of next week or later .

Dont know if this affects amazon .
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: June 04 2010, 09:53

Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn Deluxe now available on iTunes
The Ommadawn Demo (and HR 1974 Mix) sound beautiful !

:)
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: June 04 2010, 12:29

OK first impressions of HR - The CD's

Spanish Tune is a straight fade in of Part 2 (2'30" in) and fades out. At least we now know for certain what it is !  :)

The demos are facinating and the remastering is superb, they sound like they were made yesterday.
They're much more polished than the equivalent TB demos, closer in sound to a rough mix, quite different to the finished article. Apart from the 'thunderstorm' section on Part 2, the main guitars used are acoustic. There is no oboe, sleigh bells or choir in Part 1, but you can hear (I presume) Sally Oldfield and Clodagh Simmods on the choir section.

It's interesting to hear MO using the acoustic guitar to feel out ideas that would appear as different instruments later.

BTW, I can confirm that the 1974 mix is indeed the original vinyl mix - no boxed mix to be found here, so hold on to your Virgin CD's for now.                     :)

I haven't got around to the 2010 mix on CD / DVD yet, or read the booklet - but the original Virgin cover is there, and the rear cover in inside the outer CD sleeve.

On to 'Ommadawn' .....
Profile PM 
starfish Offline

Posted: June 04 2010, 13:22

Quote (dobyblue @ May 31 2010, 09:27)
As you may have guessed, :), I strongly disagree.
The biggest cost in this project is the additional time it takes in studio to do the 5.1 mix. This has already been done. Including a DVD-A lossless MLP track for the surround would have added ZERO cost.
As for CD's and DVD's being good enough for 99% of the population, how does that explain certain titles seeing 49% of sales on the Blu-ray format? How does that explain the ever-dwindling CD and DVD sales? UMG should be looking to the future, not holding on to the past.
Lovingly mastered is fine, but there is nothing lovingly at all about lossy Dolby Digital.

In 2006 when Blu-ray Disc were brand new and everything was uber-expensive, a project needed to only move 20,000 units to be profitable. Now it's probably more like 200 units. Doing a DVD-A would have cost nothing extra...doing a Blu-ray would have been minimal because all that was left to do was author and press.

Oh, I'm not knocking your opinion at all - I'm sure that for "audiophiles" (I hate that word), having the albums in lossless 5.1 would be a godsend. I'm just not sure it's commerically viable, that's all. A few responses to your points...

Certain films may well indeed sell 49% of their copies on BD. However, there are many reasons why this could be the case: some BDs have exclusive extras that the DVD editions do not, for example. And don't forget that not everyone who buys a Blu-ray Disc does so for the sound. A lot of people I know just buy the discs for the improvement in picture quality alone, and just have the sound coming out of their regular TV speakers. Just because Blu-ray sales can be good, it doesn't necessarily follow that all those who purchase the discs have a surround-sound setup. Furthermore, there could be other reasons why sales of CDs and DVDs are dwindling, such as downloads (both legal and illegal), the global worldwide recession, plus of course the fact that more people are going to the cinema!

On to my next point - you argue that BD costs would be minimal, because the only costs involved would be the authoring and pressing. But BD authoring is very, very expensive. If you're expecting to sell lots of units, authoring costs can be spread very thinly. Thats why chart CDs and other media tned to retail for a lot less than niche items distributed on indie labels - because sales are lower for niche items, the authoring cost is spread over fewer units, thereby raising the price. It's one thing to sell hundreds of thousands of units of Avatar on Blu-ray, but a few hundred Mike Oldfield audio discs would be another matter entirely.

I fully understand your reasons for wanting the albums in a lossless format, and in an ideal world they'd be released in all formats to cater for every fan. But realistically it ain't gonna happen - not for a good while, anyway.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 04 2010, 13:36

Promo copies of both deluxe editions arrived here at Tubular Towers this morning and I've been steadily listening through them all. I feel it's a bit early to come to a proper conclusion, but my initial feeling is that between the two stereo remixes, Hergest Ridge is the one which really stands out.

Mike has been quite daring in what he's done in places, taking a lot of the parts which featured in the original mix, then bringing out more for good measure. It reveals whole new facets of the recording and I found it very interesting to listen to.

The 'lost version' of Ommadawn Part One is another that stands out - there are some particularly beautiful parts there, though I was a bit taken by surprise to hear Clodagh Simmonds's chant interrupted by the sound of two men telling jokes!

There's certainly a large amount of fascinating material in both of the two sets. I'll try and get round to giving a fuller verdict on them once I've had a bit more of a chance to listen to it all.
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: June 04 2010, 14:24

Quote (Korgscrew @ June 04 2010, 19:36)
though I was a bit taken by surprise to hear Clodagh Simmonds's chant interrupted by the sound of two men telling jokes!

What??  :laugh:  Maybe it is the fool (ommadawn)!!
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: June 04 2010, 15:17

Jokes:

"  I Say, I Say, I Say Who's got the biggest nose you'ver ever seen? I don't care about that, how big's his bottle? Never mind about bottles, I've got more important things on my mind." And so on ...  :D  Bizarre.
The end of the Ommadawn demo is a beautiful acoustic guitar piece.
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: June 04 2010, 15:26

Ive just wrote a reveiw of Ommadawn 5.1 and its not here !!!!!!!!

Anyway its very good.

Does this happen to you ?
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: June 04 2010, 15:27

www.mikeoldfieldofficial.com is now officially on the air.

:D
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 04 2010, 15:31

I'll wait 'till I get my LEs to comment about the new mixes...little teasers would destroy the surprise element!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: June 04 2010, 15:32

Hergest Ridge Deluxe 2010

Ommadawn Deluxe 2010
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: June 04 2010, 17:03

Quote (manintherain @ June 04 2010, 20:27)
www.mikeoldfieldofficial.com is now officially on the air.

:D

and playing an Alvin Stardust track under the title of Mike Oldfiled Test!

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: June 04 2010, 18:08

Quote (Korgscrew @ June 04 2010, 18:36)
Mike has been quite daring in what he's done in places, taking a lot of the parts which featured in the original mix, then bringing out more for good measure.

You can say that again ! The new stereo mix is quite daring, but nothing compared to the 5.1 mix. I don't know what Mike was thinking, but his apparent dislike of HR shows no sign of abating and is evident here by the drastic changes on the new mix.

Gone is almost half of the oboe solo in Part 1 (which answers my question of a few weeks ago as to how the new mix was ca. 2 mins. shorter), and the guitar solo at the coda on the very end of Part 2.

It seems to me Mike has reacted to criticisms of the Boxed HR being to sparse by overloading the 2010 mix IMO.

First impressions of HR 2010 5.1 ? Not good.
The Ommadawn 5.1 mix is far better - much more sympathetic to the original.

However, the 1974 mix remaster is gorgeous  :)
Profile PM 
534 replies since April 27 2010, 15:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (27) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net