Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (27) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: HR + Ommadawn limited editions available to order< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
zoda Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 07 2010, 06:48

Isn't it possible it's just their strategy? Set a daily limit, like 25 copies/day, to give more people the chance to order one (over a total period of 10 days)?
I noticed that the Limited Editions are almost every day unavailable in the evening (here in Belgium). But sometimes when I look during the day you can order again.

I for one am very happy because after the first day I already gave up hope :-)
(I do hope I receive my copies; I ordered the TB Signed edition last time, and all that can go wrong went wrong, so I never received it...)
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 08 2010, 14:49

My number 1 concern at the moment is: will the postal service treat both my limited Ommadawn and HR well enough when they arrive at my home? I'm kinda frightened some big scuff will be on one of the boxes, or somebody in the Royal Mail or TNT in the Netherlands crushed one of the boxes....

I don't know about my fellow forum visitors, but I chose the express sending method. Yes, it's quite expensive, but I hope they really make their promises for faster delivery and (hopefully) saver deliver.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
starfish Offline

Posted: May 10 2010, 08:56

Looking forward to having these on my shelf. I know I'm a bit OCD, but is it wrong to consider buying the Deluxe edition of TB (I already have the Ultimate) so that all the CD spines will match on my shelf?

I've still never forgiven Virgin for that misprint on the side of the Islands reissue...
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: May 11 2010, 07:17

Quote (starfish @ May 10 2010, 08:56)
I know I'm a bit OCD, but is it wrong to consider buying the Deluxe edition of TB (I already have the Ultimate) so that all the CD spines will match on my shelf?

Starfish - yes, get a grip and pull yourself together!!  :D

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
starfish Offline

Posted: May 11 2010, 16:14

Quote (wiga @ May 11 2010, 07:17)
Quote (starfish @ May 10 2010, 08:56)
I know I'm a bit OCD, but is it wrong to consider buying the Deluxe edition of TB (I already have the Ultimate) so that all the CD spines will match on my shelf?

Starfish - yes, get a grip and pull yourself together!!  :D

Get a grip? It took me a monumental effort just to type the acronym 'OCD'... I have to hold back the urge to type it CDO, thereby placing all three letters into alphabetical order...
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: May 12 2010, 06:20

Starfish - It's nothing a few sessions of CBT won't sort out (- or BCT!;) or maybe, - just get the Deluxe edition and be done with it.   :p

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: May 12 2010, 11:00

I feel like a terrible fan, but I've decided - I won't be getting this, or the Deluxe edition. I already have this music, and I'd rather spend my money on something new. I considered getting the Deluxe version, but it's $35 here in the US. If I get both, it'll be $70. I just don't have the desire to spend that kind of money on music that I already have with a few bonus tracks.

I feel somewhat guilty about this though, so I wonder, are there any other fans on here making the same decision?
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 13 2010, 02:15

You may change your mind Syd when the reviews start flowing in.
I did consider going for the Limited Ed but changed my mind (deluxe is also $35 here in Oz btw) as I sleep with my signed TB certificate under my pillow each night and there is just not enough room left under there  :p
Will get both Deluxe though.
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: May 13 2010, 06:08

Quote (Syd B @ May 12 2010, 16:00)
I feel like a terrible fan, but I've decided - I won't be getting this, or the Deluxe edition. I already have this music, and I'd rather spend my money on something new. I considered getting the Deluxe version, but it's $35 here in the US. If I get both, it'll be $70. I just don't have the desire to spend that kind of money on music that I already have with a few bonus tracks.

I feel somewhat guilty about this though, so I wonder, are there any other fans on here making the same decision?

I understand where you're coming from.

I (very briefly) toyed with the idea of buying the limited editions but quickly decided they were just too expensive for me.
They are nice and the lure of the signed and numbered prints is certainly there, but I already have a lot of autographed Star Trek stuff on my walls, so I don't have a lot of room!

I think if only one set had been released I might have fallen for it - but two at once? Eek! That's a chunk of change!

That said, I shall probably buy the deluxe editions as I do want the new mixes and bonus tracks. And it looks like play.com are doing a good deal on Hergest Ridge at any rate: it is significantly cheaper than the RRP.

$35 seems like a lot of money though, so I can understand why you'd baulk at it. Isn't that well over £20? I'm guessing play.com isn't a lot of use for you in the US. You could try eBay if you do want to get them for a lot less money. Just a thought.

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: May 13 2010, 07:26

£14 is not bad for a Deluxe Edition = x2 CDs and x1 DVD.

So X2 Deluxe Editions = X4 CDs and 2 DVDs

£14 +£14 = £28

£28 = $ 35

If X = 28 Y = 35

XY = a lot of Mike Oldfield  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: May 13 2010, 07:36

Quote (wiga @ May 13 2010, 12:26)
£14 is not bad for a Deluxe Edition = x2 CDs and x1 DVD.

So X2 Deluxe Editions = X4 CDs and 2 DVDs

£14 +£14 = £28

£28 = $ 35

If X = 28 Y = 35

XY = a lot of Mike Oldfield  :)

Yeah, but I thought Syd B was saying they were $35 each, i.e. that would be $70 in total.

That's quite a bit of money even in sterling  :/

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 13 2010, 07:57

Amazon.com does seem quite expensive in the states! Some UK ebay sellers seem to be shipping for a reasonable price. For instance this one I think works out as $26.30 including shipping. Are there additional local taxes to add on to that in the states?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: May 13 2010, 08:21

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ May 13 2010, 07:36)
I thought Syd B was saying they were $35 each, i.e. that would be $70 in total.

That's quite a bit of money even in sterling  :/

Tubular Trekkie - Aw, that is a LOT !!

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: May 13 2010, 20:33

Yeah, Tubular Trekkie is right - $35 dollars each. Which according to a brief web search is £23.56. Way more than those of you in the UK are paying. I think I'll follow Trekkie's advice and maybe get them a few months down the road used.
Profile PM 
starfish Offline

Posted: May 15 2010, 09:42

Quote (Syd B @ May 13 2010, 20:33)
Yeah, Tubular Trekkie is right - $35 dollars each. Which according to a brief web search is £23.56. Way more than those of you in the UK are paying. I think I'll follow Trekkie's advice and maybe get them a few months down the road used.

Have you tried ordering from amazon.co.uk (i.e. the British version of the site)?

They charge £14.99 each for the Deluxe editions, and standard shipping to the US for the two albums would be £4.07 if I'm reading their site correctly. (£2.09 standard flat rate delivery charge plus £0.99 for each album ordered)

Which would make the whole order cost £34.05 GBP, which at current rates equals 49.50 USD.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: May 16 2010, 20:25

I thought about that... but on account of me being a cheapskate, etc. :D that's still kind of expensive. Especially for music I already have (albeit with some bonus tracks). Actually I may end up just getting the HR one as it has the original 1974 mix which I'm told is much better than the one that's been commercially available on CD before.
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: May 17 2010, 04:09

Quote (Syd B @ May 17 2010, 01:25)
Actually I may end up just getting the HR one as it has the original 1974 mix which I'm told is much better than the one that's been commercially available on CD before.

Some people - myself included - prefer the 'Boxed' mix used since 1976 and all subsequent CD releases. I lot of it I think depends which mix you heard and had gotten used to first.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 17 2010, 07:46

I grew up on the Boxed version.Then i stumbled upon the original and i have to say i much prefer the original.That said i have been listening to the Boxed version lately and quite enjoying it again.Looking forward to having a decent copy of the original minus all the scratchy sounds.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
dobyblue Offline

Posted: May 18 2010, 09:28

Why bother going to all the effort of doing a 5.1 mix and then release it as an afterthought? Clearly it's an afterthought on Mike's part if it's only coming out as lossy 448 Kbps Dolby 5.1? I thought he might have learnt this mistake from the TB 2009 release. What makes even less sense is that doing a 5.1 mix definitely takes up a few extra weeks studio time, so why present it in a manner that does it no justice at all?

There's no good reason why this isn't a DVD-Audio disc containing lossless MLP like the TB 2003. Or better yet, how about a Blu-ray release of these 5.1 tracks? Tom Petty's new album is coming out as a BLu-ray audio disc.

These releases are great for those only interested in 2-channel listening, but I can't see how anyone could get excited over these 5.1 mixes.

:(

Come on Mike, do a Blu-ray 5.1 release of TB, HR and OD, please.
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 18 2010, 13:56

Quote (dobyblue @ May 18 2010, 14:28)
Come on Mike, do a Blu-ray 5.1 release of TB, HR and OD, please.

We still don't have any of his released DVDs on blu-ray yet...it's a pity that this bunch of rereleases does not feature any blu-ray for our pleasure.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
534 replies since April 27 2010, 15:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (27) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net