Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: HR + Ommadawn Deluxe Editions appearing on Amazon< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
paul@mikeoldfield.org Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 28 2010, 12:52

It will be very interesting to hear Spanish Tune after all the speculation through the years.

The name Spanish Tune first surfaced AFAIK from the Unofficial Mike Oldfield Fan Club based in County Durham in the UK and run by Dave Scarlett.  He claimed to have a 7" single with normal Virgin labels with the A side as Spanish Tune and an extract from Hergest Ridge on the B side.  The catalogue number was VS112.  When asked for a taped copy, I received a cassette with a recording of the track "Pastosi" that some of you may recall Mike played with Diego Cortes (spelling?) on Spanish TV. This suggests that the single did not in fact exist.  Certainly, no collector, (including all the big collectors) or one willing to admit it, has a copy of this single.

However, whilst researching an article on unreleased tracks for Dark Star Magazine I located the following details. (A updated version can be found here Mike Oldfield unreleased tracks

The single VS112 does exist.  It was pressed as a 1 sided white label test pressing containing an extract from Hergest Ridge Part 2. The labels are plain white, though some copies have Mike Oldfield Hergest Ridge written in pen.

Several people are known to have copies and I can confirm this as I have seen several copies of the single and I have listened to the track.

Paul
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2010, 13:11

Great news! It has been a long time.

I'm wondering if Mike's official website will go online soon with promotional material for these upcoming releases?

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2010, 08:37

I know Mike did demo HR.he mentions being able to do demos at the Beacon with a set up he got before the equipment he got in for Ommadawn.
 Be very interested to hear demos and (at long last!)a good cd re-issue of the original mix.Hurrah!!
 Now i wonder about the 'lost' version of Ommadawn.Is it the original mix?I thought that was well and truely scrapped!Looking forward to hearing these but as for the release date i won't be holding my breath!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2010, 08:43

Quote (paul@mikeoldfield.org @ Mar. 28 2010, 12:52)
It will be very interesting to hear Spanish Tune after all the speculation through the years.

The name Spanish Tune first surfaced AFAIK from the Unofficial Mike Oldfield Fan Club based in County Durham in the UK and run by Dave Scarlett.  He claimed to have a 7" single with normal Virgin labels with the A side as Spanish Tune and an extract from Hergest Ridge on the B side.  The catalogue number was VS112.  When asked for a taped copy, I received a cassette with a recording of the track "Pastosi" from Spanish TV that some of you may recall Mike played with Diego Cortes. (Spelling?)  This suggests that the single did not in fact exist.  Certainly, no collector, or one willing to admit it, has a copy of this single.

However, whilst researching an article on unreleased tracks for Dark Star Magazine I located the following details. (A updated version can be found here Mike Oldfield unreleased tracks

The single VS112 does exist.  It was pressed as a 1 sided white label test pressing containing an extract from Hergest Ridge Part 2. The labels are plain white, though some copies have Mike Oldfield Hergest Ridge written in pen.

Several people are known to have copies and I can confirm this as I have seen several copies and listened to the track.

Paul

I had a copy of the book "Mike Oldfield 10" published in 1983/84 and it's mentioned in the discography in the back of that and it was called Spanish Tune in that.However i've also heard of speculation that it existed so it'll be good to get a copy in good condition provided Mike's not done what he did with Mike Oldfield's Single and remixed it!

--------------
Profile PM 
paul@mikeoldfield.org Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2010, 10:31

I believe the source for that book used some of the widely available discographies from said Unofficial Fan Club.

I for one am looking forward to what I hope is a gem from the past.

Paul
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2010, 11:47

Quote (The Caveman @ Mar. 29 2010, 13:37)
 Now i wonder about the 'lost' version of Ommadawn.Is it the original mix?I thought that was well and truely scrapped!

The master multitrack was "well and truely scrapped" but early mix downs in fragmentary form must still exist as they were heard on Reflection made in 1976. Things like Herbie's pipes were lost and these were re-recorded by Paddy Maloney. Hopefully there will be enough early workings to give a taster of the album that never surfaced.
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2010, 11:55

Quote (Atane @ Mar. 28 2010, 17:01)
Product details
Audio CD (24 May 2010)
Number of Discs: 3
Format: Box set

No info about this third CD...

Amazon do have a habit of calling all the discs in a multiple disc package "CD's", even though one may be a DVD. My guess is a 2CD / 1 DVD Set.

Watch Amazon prove me wrong ..… :D
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2010, 12:20

Quote (Airborne @ Mar. 29 2010, 11:47)
Quote (The Caveman @ Mar. 29 2010, 13:37)
 Now i wonder about the 'lost' version of Ommadawn.Is it the original mix?I thought that was well and truely scrapped!

The master multitrack was "well and truely scrapped" but early mix downs in fragmentary form must still exist as they were heard on Reflection made in 1976. Things like Herbie's pipes were lost and these were re-recorded by Paddy Maloney. Hopefully there will enough early workings to give a taster of the album that never surfaced.

Hope so.I've heard bits of the orginal version on All You Need Is Love and,while it's clearly not a patch on the final version,it's interesting.As far as i know though he only had to redo the first side before the technical gremilns were sorted.Didn't knowthat side 2 was done a second time.I'm sure i read an interview were he says side 2 took something like 3 weeks and i've never heard anything about side 2 being remade.If so then so much the better for the bonus stuff :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2010, 03:57

All looks great... but what happened to
"Froggy Went a Courting " and the original version of the "Mike Oldfield Single"... it is now or never really...
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2010, 04:09

Quote (Bell Boy @ Mar. 30 2010, 03:57)
All looks great... but what happened to
"Froggy Went a Courting " and the original version of the "Mike Oldfield Single"... it is now or never really...

Good point, in my delight about the other stuff I forgot about that. Froggy Went-a-Courting is a little gem if I ever heard one. Maybe Mike doesn't want it re-released!?

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2010, 04:15

Quote (hairy old hippy @ Mar. 30 2010, 09:09)
Good point, in my delight about the other stuff I forgot about that. Froggy Went-a-Courting is a little gem if I ever heard one. Maybe Mike doesn't want it re-released!?

I'd love to see a rarities box set some time in the future - maybe they're holding something for such a release ?
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2010, 13:47

I wonder how much of a say Mike has over the content, and I remember seeing an interview when he said that he didnt like people keeping on about all the rare stuff( Like Speak,Froggy) and him almost  disowning them...????
So it may be that he has said NOT to include it as he may be embarrassed by it.....

I LOVE IT ( Froggy).... and really would love a good digital version....
and the Original version of THE MIKE OLDFIELD single, which is a much better version than the new remix......
Profile PM 
Tubak Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2010, 14:47

I believe that these songs that are not being added, will be published in some way because it lacks many songs in this re-editions.
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2010, 14:51

This is the single most exciting news item in the last two years or so. :)

I have never been a fan of Tubular Bells (original) and am one of those very few people who prefer the 2003 re-recording. But Hergest Ridge and, especially, Ommadawn deluxe edition? PLEASE!!! TAKE MY MONEY NOW!!! :)

(Mind you, if you think this is a bit of an over-the-top reaction, you will not approve of what I shall have to say about deluxe versions of Incantations and Amarok.)

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2010, 13:20

I just thought of another track that seems to be missing unless I'm wrong. There was an Ommadawn single release that featured an edit of the end of Part one. Maybe this was taken from the first recording of Part one and so might be included?!

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2010, 15:57

Quote (hairy old hippy @ Mar. 31 2010, 13:20)
I just thought of another track that seems to be missing unless I'm wrong. There was an Ommadawn single release that featured an edit of the end of Part one. Maybe this was taken from the first recording of Part one and so might be included?!

The 7" version is a cut'n'paste job done using the album version. It's very good actually but there's nothing in it that you don't hear on the album.
Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Opus 1 Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2010, 17:17

Did the 7" version not have a few extra little guitar parts towards the end? In a similar fashion to how the remix of the Tb single has little guitar parts towards the start? =)

--------------
The mark of a skilled musician is to be able to play one note and mean it, not play zillions of notes and not mean it.

(www.myspace.com/markmonaghan)
Profile PM WEB 
Herod Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2010, 17:28

Yes, but they also sound like the result of cut 'n paste from other parts of the sequence, not re-recorded ;)

--------------
The last 80 seconds of 'Amarok' are one of the reasons for being happy to live in this planet.
Profile PM 
Opus 1 Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2010, 17:32

Yeah =) I wasn't sure if they were from other parts, or if it had been stuff that had been recorded but then not used =) Either way it should be on the re-release ^^

--------------
The mark of a skilled musician is to be able to play one note and mean it, not play zillions of notes and not mean it.

(www.myspace.com/markmonaghan)
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: April 01 2010, 03:32

OK, I just listened to the Ommadawn 7" mix on youtube (instead of digging out old cassettes!;).

Quick link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP62B1LsVUs

Actually the mix is very different. The bass guitar is louder. At 2:21 there's a guitar run that is barely audible in the LP version which is now mixed up high.
I also notice that some tracks have been muted. At 1:26 there's a descending bass-guitar thang which is normally accompained by a few lead-in notes on acoustic guitar, which is now missing.
Also, the gong at the end is LOUD!!!  :laugh:

Another thing that strikes me is how good the mix is. Makes the hairs stand on my back!
Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
97 replies since Mar. 26 2010, 21:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net