Guests cannot vote
Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: How to improve Ommadawn, side/part 1?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Craig Evans Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 13 2005, 08:13

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 07 2005, 19:36)
And I would play the arpeggio in the sung section with a piano, not with a moog-like synth.

Is that the clarinet-like sound?  :)  :)

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
knife edge Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2005, 07:27

It's perfect. As the whole album, IMHO.  ;)

bye
Andrea
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2005, 08:38

I voted for A TB 2003 treatment, but only IF the original feeling could be recaptured. It would certainly be an interesting thing to do, and would almost conclusively end the argument as to whether the synthetic production techniques are what's responsible for so many feeling TB2003 to be... sterile.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2005, 19:05

Quote (arron11196 @ Oct. 23 2005, 13:38)
I voted for A TB 2003 treatment, but only IF the original feeling could be recaptured. It would certainly be an interesting thing to do, and would almost conclusively end the argument as to whether the synthetic production techniques are what's responsible for so many feeling TB2003 to be... sterile.

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!  I don't think it would be possible to give Ommadawn the TB 2003 treatment and capture the original feeling :O , Sorry Arron, but that's just my feelings.

Give me Ommadawn 1975 style anytime, I guess I just love Ommadawn so much. :)  :D  :D  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2005, 01:38

Well that's fair enough, everyone's entitled to their opinion. It comes from the fact that I am just a stickler for sound quality (although as I said, I agree totally that I wouldn't like it if it didn't completely recapture the original spirit of the piece)

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 24 2005, 05:58

Ommadawn is, to me at least, the best thing Mike ever did, and I agree with familyjules about the pipes, they never fail to hit me right in the chest, but in a good way. I always found  On Horseback irritating though. Not the tune, just the lyrics.
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2005, 14:11

Oh please !! just leave this album alone,to me you can,t improve it in any way.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 18 2007, 04:55

Quote (Craig Evans @ Sep. 13 2005, 08:02)
I think it was a very good idea that Mike made "Ommadawn" as perfect as possable so that there is hardly any reason for it to be improved on afterwards.  :)  :)

That reminded me of Changeling where Mike said about Ommadawn:
...I was stoked up again, I'd had a few more ideas. With Hergest Ridge getting such a terrible reaction in reviews, I subconsciously said to myself, 'Well, I'll bloody show you lot.' I wanted to show that Tubular Bells wasn't just a complete shot in the dark, a one-hit wonder, a lucky chance. I really had the energy, and there was plenty of angst to fuel me by then.
That part makes me chuckle.  :D

Whatever teensy quibbles I might have regarding this work - and they are mostly in regards to technical/sound quality rather than performance - I wouldn't change a thing for risk of losing any part of its artistry, which owes much to the artist's state at the time. I agree with some others who've said that the magic of Ommadawn cannot be recaptured. That said, I would definitely buy a copy of the rerecording. I doubt he has any desire to do so, but I would be interested in hearing where Mike would take it from a more mature viewpoint. I've never felt that art (whether books, films, or music) has ever been harmed by remakes - the originals are still available to all.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
47 replies since Jan. 05 2005, 20:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net