Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: How to get copyright?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 02 2003, 16:24

Lately I've got nightmares that I would find a track on the internet called "John Smith - Frustration" or "John Smith - Tubular Bells IV (part1)".  :D

I got the advice to registre, protect and authorise my tracks. But I don't have any clue how I should do this! I've wasted a whole day searching the internet to find an answer, but I didn't find any. Has anyone got some information?

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: June 04 2003, 12:32

don't worry if someone steals a track most of the hosting providers will take his track down... since it's illegal to steal it...

well it's your thing and the rights for the song are exclusive to the author so you don't need to worry about thiefs ;)

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 04 2003, 14:21

Evidence from any hosting providers alone may not be enough - if someone comes out with a cassette of 'his version' of Tubular Bells 4, which he claims he wrote in 1985, things could get very tricky.

The way copyright works depends on the laws of the country you're in. In the UK, you're generally safe as long as you have good evidence that you wrote the piece on the date you claim to - mailing yourself a copy and keeping it, sealed, in a safe place, is one fairly widely accepted way of doing that. Works can also be registered with organisations which act as independent witnesses, to give stronger evidence.

Your best bet is to consult someone who can give advice specific to your country.
Profile PM 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Posted: June 04 2003, 17:18

Alright. You have my thanks!  :)

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
3 replies since June 02 2003, 16:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net