Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: How good a keyboard player is mike?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ThisName Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 09 2005, 10:32

Hey, I know mike plays a bit of everything, but was just wondering if anyone know's how good he is on keyboard? It just strikes me that his early albums, especially incantations, has some develish keyboard parts?

Anyone agree?

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
stevenmd779 Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2005, 10:56

I don't think he ever admitted to being a real good keyboard player, although that depends on what he considers good. Top of the Morning is probobly his hardest piece, and I think I could learn it in a month or so, and I've only been playing for a year. I'm sure he could play something more difficult, but he doesn't want to take the time.

--------------
"A people who would sacrifice liberty for security will lose both, and deserve neither." Ben Franklin

Boogs is fo' da chode man.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 09 2005, 21:01

Some of those parts on Incantations were recorded at half speed, just like he did with Blue Peter (perhaps you've even seen the feature the BBC did of him recording that tune, where he explains that).

Away from that, it's difficult to tell really. When he recorded Tubular Bells, Tom Newman had quite a bit of difficulty getting Mike to play the piano in time, and of course on Hergest Ridge there's a pretty stuttery part in Part 2 (just before the thunderstorm section), which might suggest he was still having trouble (though there's been some discussion about whether it's deliberate or not).

His piano playing does really come to the fore on Top Of The Morning, and I'd say it's nicely played (some have accused him of having sampled it, but I hear no evidence to suggest that). It's not hugely complex, but I'd say it's a nice piece of playing. I do think he can make a piano sound musical, when he wants (which is what it's about, isn't it?).

Whether his not recording more complex things is because he doesn't want to take the time, I'm not sure. When I play live shows as guitarist with rock groups, it can be great fun to just play flat-out and go as fast as I can. Everyone enjoys it, because of the spirit of the whole performance. When someone's sat listening to a studio recording in his/her living room, the spirit of both performer and listener is rather different. I can think of one track in particular that I did with a group, which had basically been written to give me a bit of space to play something wild at the end of the show - a very excessive solo all over the place type thing. When I came to make a recording of that, the same approach just didn't work - there was something missing. I ended up simplifying it a lot, and I think it worked better because of that. That tends to be my approach with recording in general, and may well be Mike's too - to play something that fits the recording, rather than just to show I can play complex things.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2005, 21:32

Mike is not and he's not trying to be like keyboard wizards like Rick Wakeman or Keith Emerson.

In the 70's, Mike's use of keyboards were not that much, getting bigger on Incantations,for example. In the 80's, it was very much keyboard-oriented(I'd say Fairlight-oriented) in terms of creating the atmosphere of most tunes.

90's and 2000's, the pattern of using keyboards to create an atmosphere still continues,but some tunes more keyboard-oriented than others...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2005, 21:59

Mike may not be able to play fast and fancy like Rick Wakeman, but his music isn't about that. When Mike plays the keyboards, more often than not they sound good. For what he does with them, I'd say he's a good keyboardist.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
The Man who is He.. Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2005, 22:29

Even when he just plinks at a piano like in TSODE, he puts such emotion into it. It's so tender, i'm such a hot tempered person at times, and I listen to his music to calm down and slow down, sometimes. His piano work allways makes me feel more human after a bad day at the office.
Profile PM 
Spak Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2005, 23:25

Yeah. I mean, he doesn't play the piano as good as some other instruments but his piano parts go so great with his other instruments. I definitely don't think it would sound great alone, but it adds a beautiful touch to his style.
Profile PM 
Guru Meditation Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2006, 16:19

"Anyone could play the piano as well as I do" - Mike Oldfield
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2006, 16:46

There is a story that Martin Griffiths of Penrhos Court told when a male voice choir turned up at his restaurant. Mike was there and ended up playing the piano with them. His variation of chords led the choir a merry dance it would seem, I think it was down to frivolity rather than lack of knowledge.

All of his tunes are either derived from guitar or keyboard so I would say he can play the piano extremely well. Just listen to the opening of Tubular Bells recorded when he was 19.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2006, 19:46

Quote (Airborne @ Nov. 06 2006, 21:46)
There is a story that Martin Griffiths of Penrhos Court told when a male voice choir turned up at his restaurant. Mike was there and ended up playing the piano with them. His variation of chords led the choir a merry dance it would seem, I think it was down to frivolity rather than lack of knowledge.

That's an interesting story Airborne, I didn't know there was a piano in Penrhos Court. I can imagine much merriment and copious amounts of ale/cider being drunk that night :)  :D , how interesting it would have been to be an observer that night:cool: , Saying that if there's any merriment/frivolity to be had I'm willing to join in.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2006, 17:48

Quote (Guru Meditation @ Nov. 06 2006, 21:19)
"Anyone could play the piano as well as I do" - Mike Oldfield

An uplifting thought from the man himself. I'll just have to keep at it. I'm not exactly the most musical person, though I endeavour to be so.

It doesn't help when my Dad's a great singer and a great guitarrist and does gigs at local pubs. It's also a little upsetting when your eldest sister teaches the flute in Scotland, your little sister is a wonderful oboeist (wish she'd play the oboe section in "Hergest Ridge" - she's good enough to do it!;) and my other sister is excellent on the clarinet. I've always wanted to play the saxophone. We did try to get lessons for the saxophone when the opprtunity arose, but for some reason, the teacher we were supposed to have never came. My dream to be musical disappeared in seconds...

So, everyone in my family, except for me, is musically minded. I'm just a listener. I do try to play the keyboard, I try very hard to play tunes, and I can only play very simple ones such as "Ode To Joy". When it comes to using chords, I fail very easily. I also try to play the guitar, with help from my Dad, but learning that "F" chord is making my say a lot of words that begin with the very same letter (mostly words such as "fudge", "flip" and the nasty one).

It's very hard to teach yourself, and when school is breathing down your neck with more work to give to you...and they actually expect you to do it!

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
Morti Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2006, 21:06

Keep at it, dude. Guitar is hard at first but you become reasonably good quicker than you expect generally, it's one of the easier instruments to learn I think (yet one of the hardest to master, but worry about that when you get there).

Starting with Mike Oldfield stuff may be challenging, the way I learned was by being into James (mostly simple songs and chord structures) then later getting into Mike Oldfield and almost immediately becoming a better guitarist by trying more challenging things once I'd initially learned to play almost everything James have ever recorded. ;)

--------------
The ear worm became the synonym for the commercial side of MIKE OLDFIELD.
Profile PM WEB 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2006, 13:59

Quote (Morti @ Nov. 08 2006, 21:06)
Starting with Mike Oldfield stuff may be challenging, the way I learned was by being into James (mostly simple songs and chord structures) then later getting into Mike Oldfield and almost immediately becoming a better guitarist by trying more challenging things once I'd initially learned to play almost everything James have ever recorded. ;)

I'm sorry, but which James do you mean??  :)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Nov. 18 2006, 08:50

I'm not a musician, but when I see Mike playing the start of TBII in the premiere concert, he seems to be quite uncomfortable to me, as if he had to make an effort to play correctly. I've learned to play that piece, and doesn't seem to be so difficult (for an average player, I mean). Or maybe he was very nervous, or it was a cold night.
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Nov. 18 2006, 08:54

I think he may not be the very good kind of player, but on that video he just seems very nervous, in the beginning...

So I think he can play it well, but that it was just cold and nerves...

;)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2006, 19:12

I think he simply has a Knack for diffrent instruments, something you cant explain that you might not be able to learn!

you do have a poit trinidad, he does look very uncomfortable. I always thought so and when i think about it, i think he simply has put his guitar knowledge into other instruments, which is waht i do and thus the only way i could make sense of it!!

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
ThisName Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2006, 06:04

The opening to the TBII DVD is incredibly simple pianistically, but so bare, and it's the first thing the audience hears. I think I would be quite nervous playing that opening, because one little blemish on the note will be very apparent. Also, its the start of the concert, so I'm guessing its a combination of the show and the isolation of the first few bars. I think he probably is quite proficent on keyboard, although with a very individual playing technique, but essentially guitar is where he will comfortable in terms of live performing.

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2008, 01:53

Quote (The Man who is He.. @ Nov. 09 2005, 22:29)
Even when he just plinks at a piano like in TSODE, he puts such emotion into it. It's so tender, i'm such a hot tempered person at times, and I listen to his music to calm down and slow down, sometimes. His piano work allways makes me feel more human after a bad day at the office.

I really love the piano in TSODE - and feel that Mike could play a little more than he does  ;)
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2008, 01:31

Quote (trcanberra @ Feb. 16 2008, 01:53)
I really love the piano in TSODE - and feel that Mike could play a little more than he does  ;)

TR, are you suggesting that Mike has been holding out on us?? I'm not sure that I could handle it if he were as great a pianist as he is a guitarist.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2017, 17:56

Since this thread, we've had his piano improvisation on the Deluxe Incantations. And now R2O is out, the keys are a bit submerged on that, but very effectively used.

One thing that puzzles me is this. When ever did Mike learn to play the piano AT ALL? Wasn't he busy with acoustic, bass, and electric guitars until he was 20? Then he suddenly pops up playing competent piano on TB. When did he learn it? Did anybody teach him?

It always make me curious. My own assumption is that he just taught himself based on having pianos around him while he was making all this music. Maybe David Bedford gave him some help too?

All supposition on my part. But I really love Mike's keyboards parts and wish he'd write something complex for a better pianist to play while he guitars to it.
Profile PM 
29 replies since Nov. 09 2005, 10:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net