Aroused 0  [0.00%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: How Does Amarok Make You Feel?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 23 2008, 01:07

During a recent listening, I was reminded of some previous comments regarding happiness, sadness, and anger in MO's music. Since I find Amarok to be 'happy' music, I was curious how others feel. So, what do you get from Amarok?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2008, 04:40

Happy.Exhilerated.Awed..I`d say it`s a combination of all three.But if pushed I would say exhilerated,as it kind of covers the other two bases a little bit as well.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2008, 04:55

Quote (Sweetpea @ Nov. 23 2008, 01:07)
Since I find Amarok to be 'happy' music, I was curious how others feel. So, what do you get from Amarok?

Sweetpea, I think there's a considerable variety in the emotional quality of Amarok's music. Most of it, to me, has the typical MO yearning quality; and I think I would describe as "happy" only the section just before the tubular bells melody (and the bit with the jew's harp, although the happiness in that seems to border on the intoxicated!;). Some of the melodies seem to me to be "neutral" in their emotional impact: for example, all the "so so far" (and variations thereon) sections. They're there for contrast, I think, so that the emotional impact is in greater relief when the appropriate sections arrive.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 23 2008, 06:27

I could only think of "Baffled"
wiga Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2008, 07:33

Calm delight.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2008, 08:37

I went with 'awed', as I am constantly amazed that a piece of music like Amarok can actually exist. For me what makes the album so special is the range of emotions it covers.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
ettlz Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2008, 17:52

Er, all of the above?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2008, 18:47

All of the above exept for "sad". i don't think there's anything in Amarok which has the "power" of making me feel sad. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2008, 19:43

Amarok does nothing for me sorry to say,I prefer the more classical and celtic music of Mike's.

Cheers,
Deb
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2008, 00:53

Quote (ex member 419 @ Nov. 23 2008, 19:43)
Amarok does nothing for me sorry to say,I prefer the more classical and celtic music of Mike's.

Cheers,
Deb

Out, demon, out!

:D
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 24 2008, 08:13

I went for "Exhilarated" as the main feeling. Listing what I feel when listening to amarok - in order of "feelingedness" for want of a better word - I get:

1) Exhilarated
2) Happy
3) Awed
4) Confused
5) Frightened
6) Angry
7) Sad

I don't get annoyed, bored and most certainly not aroused! Who on earth would get aroused by Amarok? Maybe Boris Johnston during the last 5 minutes :p

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2008, 10:36

Its Interesting... But not Compulsive...  Love bits of it a Lot but overall its just a bit to experimental..   Glad Ive got it but truth be told I dont play it much.. :/

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Bleat Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2008, 13:26

It makes me want to get the vacuum cleaner out and do some housework,finish building my model eurofighter kit that I bought months ago,and buy a book on morse code........for some strange reason.

James  :)
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2008, 15:06

Ored.

;)
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Nov. 25 2008, 02:46

I went for awed.Amarok is up there with the first 4 albums for me.Bought when i was 15 and still i can listen to it and find something new (only found the "not to be listened to by cloth-eared nincompoops" bit a week ir 2 ago).There's so many layers of music going on giving it so much depth i can't help but feel awed by it's complexity.At the same time it's a very approachable and melodic peice.By this i mean some peices of music are very complex and intricate with lots going on but with no dicernable melodic structure...in short you can't hum/whistle/sing any tunes from it.
60 minutes long,loads of good melodies and always more to discover?Can't go wrong really.

Happy?Ending's are just beginnings. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2008, 17:57

Quote (3Wheeler @ Nov. 24 2008, 14:36)
Its Interesting... But not Compulsive...  Love bits of it a Lot but overall its just a bit to experimental..   Glad Ive got it but truth be told I dont play it much.. :/

Buggered if I know, but there isn't that category so confused.  :/  .

I have to agree with 3Wheeler here, yes is just that bit too experimental.  I haven't played it in a long time, as I can't seem to get into it, I find it peaceful, but then that peace is shattered by a violent guitar or synth stab.

It was when I tried listening to Amarok in my car for the first time (as my then husband would moan about me playing it in the house) that I nearly crashed my car, and that was scary    :O . I was anticipating Ommadawn 2, but to my ears it sounded nnnothing like Ommadawn.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 27 2008, 19:53

About five months ago, I'd probably have responded it makes me feel LIKE THE WHOLE UNIVERSE COMES TOGETHER AND EXPLAINS ITSELF IN ITS SMALLEST DETAILS OH MY GOODNESS AMAROK IS THE SOUND OF LIFE ITSELF, but now it makes me just simply truly happy. All pumped up, charged and happy. Oh, hey, music really is all that good after all. Happy. The world is a beautiful place. It's only music, but it makes me happy. It's not love, but then again what is?

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 27 2008, 20:18

It really makes me feel like I could dance. Ah HA ha ha ha.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2008, 20:20

Amarok is the definitive emotional music rollercoaster!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2008, 04:24

Quote (Matt @ Nov. 24 2008, 08:13)
...most certainly not aroused! Who on earth would get aroused by Amarok?

Well, now, let's not be so hasty. A couple of responses were "all of the above", after all. I don't think it's so fa fetched for a piece of music, with as many climaxes as Amarok has, to be considered somewhat exciting.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
54 replies since Nov. 23 2008, 01:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net