Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: How did I overlook this masterpiece??< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ThisName Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 11 2006, 13:39

Have just listened to the album again after years of neglect. I think my first impressions of the album prevented me from giving it a chance. I cranked it up on my new mp3 player today and was truely blown away by it. I cant beleve I have had this masterpiece in my possession all this time and not given it the listen it deserves. A truely fantastic album and I love the riff reference to the original tubular bells (the bit that starts ff the finale and layering of instruments etc)

There was one rference I wonder if anyone picked up on in Moonwatch? The piano melody is alost note for note the same as a melodic part of ommadawn. Intentional? I think so. If you havent heard it then listen again, it's the melody near the start of ommadawn where the brass chorale plays and you get the first major climax.

Anyways, just thought I would share my joy at reigniting an old flame!!

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2006, 13:44

Quote (ThisName @ Mar. 11 2006, 19:39)
A truely fantastic album and I love the riff reference to the original tubular bells (the bit that starts ff the finale and layering of instruments etc)

Yep, I agree with You, this is one of the coolest moments on this album. Sadly, it is not clearly hearable on a premiere DVD version, which I owned for a long time before I bought the album and discover it.
On other tb3 concerts, like Katowice, this moment is adequatly emphasised, though :)

amazarak

--------------
Just hold your heading true
Got to get your finest out
Profile PM 
stevenmd779 Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2006, 13:53

It is a really great album, in fact one of my favorites even though believe it or not the first time I listened to it I didn't like it at all.

--------------
"A people who would sacrifice liberty for security will lose both, and deserve neither." Ben Franklin

Boogs is fo' da chode man.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2006, 16:35

I was exactly the same! I'm not a fan of 'conventional' music styles really, what some people might call 'nailbanging music', but with this, it just works for me. 'corse I didn't think that then; after it finished playing for the first time i had the screwed up face and a big disgusted look. Definately not any more.  :D

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2006, 22:37

Quote (ThisName @ Mar. 11 2006, 19:39)
There was one rference I wonder if anyone picked up on in Moonwatch? The piano melody is alost note for note the same as a melodic part of ommadawn.

Yes and there is a mad and out of rhythm interpretation of the same tune in Music from the Balcony, e.g. from 16:08. ;)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: June 08 2006, 07:08

I had a wonderful feeling from the first time I listened to this album. From that haunting beginning to that mind-blowing finalé, which generates a bit more power than the original did (in my opinion) was just incredible.

My favourite bit on that album without a doubt is "The Top of the Morning". Every track on it, on my first listening, just got better and better, and I was struggling to find my favourite track, but on continued listening this one seemed to stand out. It just had a towering purity of a man going through a difficult phase, yet is coming out of his morning period of anger which I often feel as I get up. It begins with anger, then with acceptance, then with happiness.

Sorry for the late reply.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
Daftyboy Offline

Posted: June 27 2006, 08:26

I've just listened to TB3 for the first time (arrived in the post this morning) and rushed on here to post my first impressions. Well, the title of this thread seemed to say it all for me so I'll add it on here.
What a beautiful, incredible album. It's not as 'tubular' as the original or II, in fact it references a lot more different styles than either previous albums.
The female vocals were a welcome surprise, they add so much to the overall feeling and make it sound more like some 80s albums. The production is, of course, perfection. Brilliantly produced albums (as a lot of Mike's are) make you think you have the best hi-fi in the world.
Loved it.
Adrian
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2007, 20:42

definitely my fav Oldfield album. nothing beats Far Above the Clouds....hands down best closing to an album/epic...evar!

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2007, 19:13

@ ThisName & EeToN: the Moonwatch melody (yes, you're absolutely right, ThisName - it's the "Majestic" theme from Ommadawn Part 1, as titled in the Amarok Player) is not the only reference to Ommadawn in TBIII. Listen to the pounding drums on the powerful, thunderous end section of Far Above the Clouds... they sound familiar, don't they? :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 02 2007, 19:24

I like this album very much, but it lacks the progression of TB1 and TB2.  For instance it seems as though tracks 1-6 could form "part 1" of TB3, then track 7 is an interlude.  Tracks 8 and 9 form the start of "part 2"... but before we know it, track 10 reprises track 1, and track 11 wraps it all up.  It feels as though "part 2" was something of an afterthought.  Yes, it has The Top of the Morning and Far Above the Clouds, but Moonwatch and Secrets are not my favourite tracks, and the 2nd part is so much shorter than the first.  Anyone agree or not?

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2007, 00:16

Quote (Moz @ Jan. 03 2007, 01:24)
Anyone agree or not?

I also feel that it's a bit too short album, and Secrets always seemed a neglectable track for me. Some additional powerful tracks in the second part and TBIII could have been one of my top 5 Oldfield albums. Still, FATC and Outcast are big favourites, they are wonderful tracks to listen to just before exams. :)

@Ugo: Listen to the pounding drums on the powerful, thunderous end section of Far Above the Clouds... they sound familiar, don't they?

Yes, and all the original tracks of references in TBIII were played at Night of the Proms (TB Part 1, Ommadawn Part 1, Moonlight Shadow, Shadow on the Wall), they really seem to be Mike's favourite own tracks. ;)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Jan. 03 2007, 19:18

Tb ||| is the reason i found Mike. It was the first :)
But i dont find the similar sound in Moon Watch and Ommadawn. What exactly part is they similar?

The only problem with with this album is the small parts is missing. Like Tb2 have. Red dawn, Sunset door ect...
I feel it dont have the same complex atmosphere, that is the only thing i can complain on. The reason could be that middle part of the album dont have the bell and it have one vocal song.
(And also the modern ommadawn feeling in the end)
But no one of the other 2 tb albums have such great and almost holy freaking scary/evil run like hell end song!!!!!!!
If he ever tour, i pray for this song... 100%

:O  :cool:

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 03 2007, 14:48

Quote (Tubularman @ Jan. 03 2007, 19:18)
almost holy freaking scary/evil run like hell end song!!!!!!!

Speaking of scary, while listening to FATC, I felt something similar to what I feel when listening to Berlioz' "Symphonie Fantastique" - specifically, the fifth movement ('Witches Sabbath'). This is probably mostly due to the use of the bell sound, but also - I think - to the powerful atmosphere.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 03 2007, 17:34

FATC to me means catharsis.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
AlexS Offline

Posted: July 09 2007, 09:29

I love TBIII. It's a different take on the theme, but I think it works well - except for Man in the Rain, which I never warmed to.

TBIII was a "therapy" abum for me. I was going through a bad patch at the time, and it brought me optimsm and inspiration.

I clearly remember the moment when I first heard the 'excerpt' on the  XXV album - it was on a listening post in an "Our Price" store in Sheffield. I instantly adored the simplified melody and that piano sound. And when the heavier beat unexpectedly kicked in and the track built up, I was just blown away.

At the time I was hoping the style would flow through the rest of the album, so I guess that was my only 'disappointmet' when the final album came out. Oh and I much preferred the male vocal parts rather then the indian chant.

I haven't played it for a while but now I feel inspired to  ;)

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
Ebony Offline

Posted: July 14 2007, 18:54

I really didn't like this the first time I heard it.  I thought it lacked the magic of the previous TB albums, but if you asked me I couldn't explain why.
It might've had something to do with the fact I haven't actually got the cd, I've just got the live dvd, so instead of sitting back, listening and seeing where it took me - like I've done with every other MO album I got - I was watching at the same time (both Mike and Carrie Melbourne are very distracting!  ;) )
But after giving it a couple more goes, now I know what's happening on screen so I can stop watching so much and start listening, it really is starting to grow on me.  In a big way.  I don't think it's ever going to be my favourite by any means, but it does have it's moments.
:)
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2007, 13:18

Ok, once again I've had a drastic change of mind.
TBIII was waiting for me in my postbox this morning, much to my delight.  How on earth I didn't like it when I first heard it is quite beyond me!
The magic I thought it lacked is there in abundance - so powerful and so obvious I think I must have been operating on the emotional level of a teaspoon during my first listening!  ;)

I could waffle on using a myriad of adjectives, but I think something I read on the sleeve notes sums it up pretty well in four:

"Terrible, wonderful, crazy, perfect."
:cool:
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2007, 14:28

Quote (Ebony @ July 14 2007, 18:54)
both Mike and Carrie Melbourne are very distracting!  ;)

I don't have the DVD (don't think it's available on Region 1), so... errr... what are they are doing that is so distracting?? Just generally being super attractive? Or... *pictures the musicians going topless a la "Montreux"*

It's good to know TBIII has grown on you, Ebony. It was similar for me.  :)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2007, 12:25

Quote (Sweatpea @ Aug. 01 2007, 19:28)
Quote (Ebony @ July 14 2007, 18:54)
both Mike and Carrie Melbourne are very distracting!  ;)

I don't have the DVD (don't think it's available on Region 1), so... errr... what are they are doing that is so distracting?? Just generally being super attractive? Or... *pictures the musicians going topless a la "Montreux"*

It's good to know TBIII has grown on you, Ebony. It was similar for me.  :)

They were just playing instruments and looking gorgeous.  Which was enough to distract me!  No toplessness though.  But it was raining, and Mike rained on = rather nice in my opinion!  ;)

Anyway....

I'm glad it's grown on me.  Cause I think I'd be missing out on something amazing otherwise.
Along with Amarok, it's the album I listen to when I'm down, cause I know by the end of it I'll be in a much better mood.  Far Above The Clouds is one of the most uplifting, euphoric and generally awesome tracks I've heard in a long time.

:)
Profile PM 
Taurus 4 Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2007, 18:41

I had a similar experience to some posters here; it didn't do much for me on the first listen. As far as I can remember I didn't listen to it for quite a while after that, but when I got the TBII/TBIII live DVD I was pretty impressed. Beautiful from start to finish, and I love how Man in the Rain breaks it up with that glistening, refreshing intro. Classic.
Profile PM 
24 replies since Mar. 11 2006, 13:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net