Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Horse Guards Parade concert< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 20 2006, 21:35

Was anyone who is reading this (tubular.net regulars, etc) at the Horse Guards Parade concert depicted in the TB II / TB III concert video?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2006, 05:49

yes i was there in all the rain with my dad, seems like a lifetime away now, but it was an amazing time, also there were so many youngsters there, kids and teenagers, it was nice to see that his music is still filtering through to new generations!  :D

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2006, 06:55

Was it as awesome as it looks/sounds on the video? Did it rain through the entire concert?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2006, 10:51

It was the first mike concert i had been to, so in that respect it was awesome, it wasn't raining when we arrived, but as is usual with the good ole british weather, it was right on cue and started to rain just before the main event, quite apt considering the opening of the album starts with a thunder role, when mike came on stage to the thunder noise he raised his shoulders as if to say, good timing, lol, the encore at the end was amazing, everyone cheering and standing, cant wait till he tours again, i did go to the wembly arena Then and Now tour which was also cool!  :)

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
Dave in Ledbury Offline

Posted: April 23 2008, 18:36

My wife and I were there!  We can be seen in the video during the Inner Child track, one of my favourites as it happens.  Boy it was wet.  I don't think we have ever been as soaked as we were on that night!  Afterwards, we walked over Westminster Bridge into the Travel Lodge hotel lobby and into the lift, absolutely dripping.  :)

--------------
"Dave, I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over...."
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: April 28 2008, 16:32

Guess where my nick comes from? My girlfriend still doesn´t go with me to London again! We didn´t even think about sitting in the tube on our way back for it was all so wet.

:(

Edited by manintherain on April 28 2008, 16:34
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: April 11 2009, 15:55

I was there with my Dad, sitting in the area reserved by "Dark Star" magazine.  We had a great view of the stage, and enjoyed the concert tremendously.  I remember literally leaping out of my seat at the end, to give Mike a standing ovation - I was in heaven.  I managed to forget about the rain, as I was so engrossed in the music, but my Dad was shivvering and complaining - he hates having wet knees!  The only worrying moment was when the stage lost power for the lights during "Top of the Morning". I was very relieved when the rig gradually crept back to life at the end of the song!

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: April 11 2009, 16:55

Yes I was there too. We went to a pub afterwards and my hands were so cold that I could hardly hold my beer (no pun intended).  :D

I also remember that there was some background pop music playing in the pub and it seemed so naff after Oldfield music.

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
moggio Offline

Posted: July 01 2009, 02:07

Im new to to the forums having recently re-discovered Mike's music - I attended the concert - we managed to see the band soundcheck (complete run through I recall) but just before showtime it started to pour down with rain (it never stopped !!;) - concert was great but it was a bit uncomfortable sitting in the rain for 2+ hours !   we managed to find a pub just before last orders and dried ourselves with beer mats !!  The video of the event gives a good idea of how bad the weather was .
Profile PM 
iancampbell79 Offline

Posted: July 01 2009, 05:24

Yes, I was there.  The atmosphere was brilliant, despite the rain.  I remember going home afterwards, soaked to the sink but on such a high it didn't matter!
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: July 01 2009, 07:15

I loved the dvd, it would have been awesome to have been there though! deb
Profile PM 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: July 01 2009, 07:32

I was there too, at the age of 16, with my family and first time i'd seen him live. It was a fantastic gig and the FATC encore sticks in my mind where everyone is jumping around. And also the power cut which occurs around Man in the rain/ Top of the morning before the lights come up again halfway through the latter which you can make out on the DVD :)
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 01 2009, 09:16

Would have loved to have been there too despite the rain (hey if you can handle a night of torrential horizontal rain in the middle of Salisbury Plain you can handle Horse Gaurds Parade for a few hours  :laugh: )
 The bit i really like in the DVD is seeing Branson absolutely soaked to the skin.Makes i laugh!
I saw him at the NEC the year after and he did FATC as the encore there too and it was awesome then so at the premier it must have been something else.It's wonderful on the DVD to see him just throwing everything into that one last solo.Probably some of his most emotional playing since the 70's.And all with a wah wah too :)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2009, 07:51

I was there with my best friend John, and It rained the whole way through, and it was very cold, which was a problem for half the show as people were just sat there watching, but for the encore people all started dancing and running to the front, so we warmed up a bit, and the best part is when the crowd start singing "We want more, we want more" it was my friend John who started it :)
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2009, 12:21

Really?That is so cool!Oddly enough (considering my love of the early stuff and of folkier type stuff)i really like this album.I still call them albums so that shows how old fashioned i am.I shouldn't like it with all it's dance music influences but i do.Best from that period i think.

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2009, 19:59

Quote (The Caveman @ Dec. 16 2009, 12:21)
I still call them albums so that shows how old fashioned i am.

In that case this whole site is old-fashioned. Look at the heading at the top of the page, Cave.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Dec. 17 2009, 02:49

True enough.Hadn't noticed. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: Dec. 19 2009, 08:45

I was there with my two young sons ,one was wearing a blue raincoat that got so wet, his skin went blue.

Nobody has mentioned that before mike came on the band played the begining of TB 1, which isnt on the video or dvd.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Dec. 19 2009, 18:56

My favourite tracks from the DVD are Man In The Rain and Top of The Morning, a real contrast to the explosive high energy pieces. Inner Child was beautiful, Pepsi's vocals were extraordinary. Felt a bit sorry for Richard Branson being allocated in the mosh pit! Mike should have at least had him view from stage left out of the rain! After all Richard gave him the opportunity to be heard way back, but all in all a wonderful concert set near Westminster, very beautiful! Deb
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Dec. 19 2009, 20:30

'Mosh Pit'??!!!  This wasn't an Anthrax gig, you know!

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
35 replies since Jan. 20 2006, 21:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net