Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hi everyone< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
shenry Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 26 2018, 17:46

Time to introduce myself.

I'm in my forties now, and first got introduced to Mike Oldfield's music from my dad's Boxed LP set when I was a kid. He played Tubular Bells quite a lot, then when I was a bit older (about 17) I devoured the rest of the box and loved it ALL. The Boxed mix of Hergest Ridge has been my favourite LP (on and off) since then, but I have a particular affection for side two of Ommadawn.

I spent hours poring over the Boxed booklet. I loved the story it told of the shy teenage genius coming out with this amzing music. And the photos! I just wanted to BE on that farm with the big recording studio.

I'll be honest - I think Mike's output took a nosedive after the Boxed years! Incantation is interesting, but overlong and too clinical. Platinum is listenable but too clean. I have a soft spot for Amarok though - the first of his albums I bought new as a fan.

I'm from Scotland, and I saw the Edinburgh castle concert in 1992. Great night.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 27 2018, 19:29

Quote (shenry @ Oct. 26 2018, 17:46)
I think Mike's output took a nosedive after the Boxed years!

We know from Changeling that Mike enjoyed ju jitsu as a teenager... perhaps the title Mike Oldfield Boxed is telling us he enjoyed boxing too. So I'd watch out if you're mean about his later work; you may be picking a fight with a boxer!  :laugh:
Profile PM 
1 replies since Oct. 26 2018, 17:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net