Poll choices Votes Statistics
Original 1974 mix 30  [60.00%]
Boxed remix 18  [36.00%]
Orchestral Hergest Ridge 2  [4.00%]
Live versions 0  [0.00%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hergest Ridge poll, which version do you prefer?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
knife edge Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 24 2005, 04:20

Errata corrige: I listened more carefully to the complete original mix.

And now I have to admit that it is clearly superior to the remixed versione, for my tastes. More powerful, more dynamic, more "genius", even if less intimate.

There are only two things in which I prefer the remixed version: the oboe-guitar section, more intimate, with the soft trumpet more in evidence (not that the original is bad, it is wonderful, but here a more intimate sound is good imho), and the louder voices in the second part.

For all other things, the original version is on another planet. ;)

Pity that it's not present remastered from the original analog tape.

Damn... I've already null-voted... put +1 to the original version!!! :)

bye
Andrea
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2005, 19:00

Over the last few days I've been  playing both versions one after the other, that's what I'm doing right now :).

I like both, but I agree with Mike that the Remix is the better of the two. I do think the trumpets on the original are a bit superflous, and the vocals on Part 2 of the Thunderstorm/Martian section do detract a little from Mike's guitar, the Original mix sounds a bit too cluttered   ;) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
knife edge Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2005, 05:40

I've re-listened to the remixed... mmm... it put more attention to the "real music", while if I'm thinking about the original I remember better the "accaompainment".

Well... I think it's good to have both.;)

Andrea
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2006, 19:09

Today I decided to play some music whilst writing out a job application, I've just been offered a job, but it's as bank staff,possibility of it becoming more permanent and 10 minutes walk from my home, YIPPEEEE!!! (still have other applications pending, if they fall through then at least I've still got this work ), still not bad considering I've spent the last eight years looking after a disabled partner.  I'm filling in this application mainly to keep the Jobcentre people  happy.  It involves dealing with Council Tax and Housing Benefit claims, and I'm thinking it's not very exciting.    Sorry about that, but I just wanted to share my good news.  

Anyway back to the music,my first instincts were to play Hergest Ridge the HDCD version, then I thought I'm always playing that, so  I decided to play the Original mix, followed by the Boxed remix. Sitting in between the speakers, I do find the trumpets in Part 1 are growing on me, I did find them a bit surpuflous,  but I'm thinking they do sound quite good.  I think the Original Mix grows on you, but I guess my  ears are so used to the Boxed remix, nothing can quite top that. I'll have to chill out one day, light candles and incense,  refuse to answer the door or phone for two hours or so and play both versions of HR .  
Playing Hergest Ridge, transports me, at least in my mind back to Herefordshire     :) .   Hey now I'm  going to get some moey coming in I hope I can soon return to The Ridge :D .

BTW some of you know Jules Gray "familyjules" from these forums, he asked me to send his love.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
lostrom Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 22:22

I prefer the original mix as I think it sounds rougher.
Profile PM 
24 replies since June 21 2004, 07:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net