Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hergest Ridge + Ommadawn reissues in April< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Caveman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 19 2010, 11:59

totally agree with you.very simply give us a good clean version of the orignal and don't touch Ommamdawn.Period! :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2010, 12:31

I love Mike as much as everyone else here, but I am finding it hard to get that excited about this at the moment, It will be interesting to see what the package contains, I am more hoping that the experience that Mike has had re-visiting his first few albums again will inspire him to make long instrumentals again.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2010, 13:10

That is also, kind of a hope of mine. Usually, when you expose(no pun intended) someone to past endeavors, no matter how much they seem burned out.....that need to "do it again"(Steely Dan tie-in) resurfaces. Get his hands on buttons and knobs........by all means(and strings). The more the better. Get his hands off those boat controls and maybe.....he will feel a nagging desire from the past. Psychology in action. Power of suggestion.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2010, 08:01

We live in hope.Certainly would love to see him get of his lazy butt and get back to what he does best.All that sun and travel should have given him some inspiration back.Little Eugene is 2 today (i only remember this cos it's my birthday too) so he should start to get a little more time on his hands soon.That is unless baby number 8 comes along.
 Come on Mike.......give us what we want.Sure the re-issues will be nice but we want more original stuff!Get the PRS fired up and just play man!!!

--------------
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2010, 14:13

Its not fair to call him lazy, after what he has done in his career, I hardly think he can be called lazy, even lately he has been re-whatevering TB's,HR and Ommadawn.
But I agree he REALLY needs to plug in the PRS and play.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2010, 14:45

Let Mike enjoy his break now and let there be reissue season  :cool:

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2010, 14:51

Break? Jeez.....fun time's over. Let's get to work. Tweeking old albums is one thing......the real fun is new STUPH! Any musician will tell you that.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2010, 19:36

Quote (Scatterplot @ Jan. 20 2010, 19:51)
Break? Jeez.....fun time's over. Let's get to work. Tweeking old albums is one thing......the real fun is new STUPH! Any musician will tell you that.

Yeah, but Mike has never really been into the work ethic as a musician. yes he's spent millions of hours in studios and produced some of the worlds finest ever music. But it's work to him.

That "get up and play it's fun" attitude just doesn't seem to be him. Think of all the old Grandad rockers out there still getting a buzz from live shows, Mike I think isn't one of them.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
SunkenForest Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2010, 00:37

I agree with the above post ^^^^^^
I am sure there is more to it but I do indeed get that impression.

At any rate I will be happy as long as HR and Ommadawn get the treatment they deserve.  I listen to those much more frequently than I listen to TB although I love all three.  I would be interested to hear updated mixes (although my originals will always be #1)
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2010, 03:59

I was joking when i called him lazy btw. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2010, 05:43

When TB was released as a DVDA by Virgin , Omadawn was also going to be released in that format. It was reported in a tech magazine that had reveiwed TB that Mike had prepared a 5.1 version , proberly taken from the original quad mix (which I have and only differs slightly). It was even given a release date but as ever never saw the light of day.

So maybe a 5.1 mix could be on the cards this time.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2010, 06:31

I guess we will have to wait and see what eventuates. Mercury will disclose details closer to the release in April. Hope Mike does a 5.1 mix of HR and Ommadawn. As for any new projects, do you think he has "that hunger" to play like he used to? He is one very contented man at the moment, happily married, 2 healthy boys and now Eugene is 2 life in the Oldfield home would be fairly peaceful and day to day they would have their family routine sorted. I don't see Mike doing anything new although it would be great to hear new music from him. BTW happy birthday Eugene!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2010, 08:12

As i've said before i don't think Mike will ever play like he used to.He's not a young man anymore and he used to play like an angry young man.There was a real fire to his playing that i think he'd be hard pushed to reproduce now.That's not to take anything away from his playing now as he is still an amzingly good player but i don't think anyone would be able to do what he did at his age.He's calmer and more balanced and what i got from his early work was a young man screaming his head off and scared sh*tless about everything,which of course he was.I don't play like i used to at 16-20 cos i'm older and calmer,although i never had problems like Mike,and i'm nothing like as angry as i was.Of course i'd love to be proved wrong but i get the feeling that he just doesn't want to do it.There have been flashes of the 'old Mike' (Far Above The Clouds for example)but he's happier and comfortable.
 And yes happy birthday for yesterday Eugene.Good birthday to have and i should know :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2010, 08:23

Assuming that both albums are being released the same date, I would suggest that this release will be much more low-key. The rest of the catalogue would follow suit in the same way. BTW Happy Birthday Eugene !  :)
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2010, 09:04

5.1 mix Of HR ?
Profile PM 
Fine_old_Tom Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2010, 10:38

Wait and see..... Who knows! I agree this is the last chance to get the HR original version released. But I'm not getting any hopes up. The whole TB saga... Plus the years of record company and Mikes own disinterest in his fan base do not give me much cause to be optimistic. We're just here to fork out our wonga for his latest craze (boats and dodgy trunks, according to Q) and shareholders profits.  :/

--------------
Sad Sing
Profile PM 
crises1980 Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2010, 12:21

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Jan. 20 2010, 14:45)
Let Mike enjoy his break now and let there be reissue season  :cool:

His break???

Mike Oldfield broke up with music long ago. His later albums lack totally of any creativity - they're a mere collection of superficial sounds without any soul.

As he said, Mike Oldfield doesn't fancy music anymore and doesn't give a damn on his fans. Then, Universal is just seeking a way of selling an old product we all already have under a different name/shape. Nothing new at all on any side, just disinterest.

So I feel for any "new" release under the Mike Oldfield name.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Jan. 21 2010, 14:41

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Jan. 20 2010, 20:13)
Its not fair to call him lazy, after what he has done in his career, I hardly think he can be called lazy, even lately he has been re-whatevering TB's,HR and Ommadawn.
But I agree he REALLY needs to plug in the PRS and play.

David Gilmour is lazy.. :D not Mike... i agree

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2010, 18:16

Quote (crises1980 @ Jan. 21 2010, 17:21)
Mike Oldfield broke up with music long ago. His later albums lack totally of any creativity - they're a mere collection of superficial sounds without any soul.

As he said, Mike Oldfield doesn't fancy music anymore and doesn't give a damn on his fans.

So I feel for any "new" release under the Mike Oldfield name.

I have to agree with that 100%
Profile PM 
SunkenForest Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2010, 22:09

You never know... He's certainly surprised people in the past.  It's not a question of being lazy, it's a question of evolving sound.  Regardless of how you feel about his more recent music, there can always be a new idea or a new direction that you really like.  Sure, Mike has lost some of what he had in the 70's and early 80's, but certainly he has gained other things.

And I wouldn't necessarily call someone who recorded something like QE2 lazy.  (QE2 is my album of the day).

MO has a bigger discography than I have, that's for sure.  If you want lazy, look at me.
Profile PM 
146 replies since Jan. 16 2010, 13:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net