Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hergest Ridge + Ommadawn reissues in April< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Reena Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 22 2010, 08:00

Well, well, haven't been around here for a while, and now I read the news about HG and Ommadawn...

Ofcourse I'll go for the UE's,  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2010, 11:46

Just got from Amarok list:

The Word Magazine frequently have some very interesting interviews, but one bit in particular jumped out at me as possibly being of interest here.

http://bit.ly/7hBP1u
or
http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/content....robably

They interview Phil Smee who (mostly) designs, annotates and helps compile re-issues of albums. About 32'40 in, Phil mentions that he is "currently working with Mark Powell on Mike Oldfield stuff and "he's found demos, all sorts of things..."

Sounds interesting, I just hope that they all get released in some shape or form.

Matthew Cochrane

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2010, 13:50

I'm excited ...Phil mentions 46'17 in that they loved doing UE of TB ...they now working on HR & Ommadawn ..LOTS OF DEMOs .... and Mike's great to work with even though he's located in the Bahamas !!  :D  Can't wait !!! :)
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2010, 17:07

It does sound like he has sound engineers and producers working on the re issues. He probably hands it over to them to tinker with these days. Its a re issue so I don't think he will work 100 hours a week on it. At this stage of his career any extra money gleaned from a re issue is a bonus! Lets face it, he has made a motza of the years and by all appearances has all he could wish for.
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2010, 07:00

Well I was so pleased and impressed with how the Tubular Bells 2009 remaster turned out I was hoping Mike would be doing Hergest Ridge too. Then again maybe he is remixing it but leaving the mastering and other technical gubbins to the other guys.

I'm guessing those demos refer predominantly to Ommadawn. Mike recorded this album twice and the original demos can be heard in the Reflections film. Sounds exciting, well done to Tati for digging that one out. Seriously; you're such a great detective, Agatha Christie could have written about you!

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Jan. 23 2010, 11:36

Quote (hairy old hippy @ Jan. 23 2010, 13:00)
Ommadawn recorded album twice and the original demos can be heard in the Reflections film. Sounds exciting, well done to Tati for digging that one out. Seriously; you're such a great detective, Agatha Christie could have written about you!

would be great to hold a hand on the Reflections demos and the single edit version of ommadawn in good quality..
I wonder if this release will give him more attention. Like i said before, to much of Tubular Bells.. people get tired, even me.
Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge deserve this!!!!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2010, 19:26

Tati I have to congratulate you. Thank you for doing all the research we don't do. You contributed a lot to Mike Oldfield.es. I downloaded many of the pics you posted! Loved the one of you as DJ playing some MO. I am not as dedicated as you. All of you contribute in many ways so thanks. Here in OZ its hard to get the mags available in the UK and the USA. So any info is appreciated. It will be nice to get my hands on the remixed HR and Ommadawn. There was a time when I thought that downloads were as good as it gets LOL! Roll on April, a nice birthday present!
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2010, 14:17

i think mike should have done hergest ridge and ommadawn the same he did to tubular bells 2003 and forget these remasters and whatever 5.1

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2010, 16:05

Quote (theweightless @ Jan. 24 2010, 14:17)
i think mike should have done hergest ridge and ommadawn the same he did to tubular bells 2003 and forget these remasters and whatever 5.1

You mean that he should murder Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn? I'm pretty sure he would replace the Sally & Bridget with a computer sample and reduce the Jabula group to a drum loop. And hearing Hergest Ridge - and album that is just as out of tune as it is out of time - after one of Mike's infamous makovers would propably be like replacing your girlfriend with a computer generated, symetrically corrected silicon replica.
I think Mike's later material (from Incantations and on) would lend itself much better to re-makes because the recording technology is not such an intergrated part of the music as is the case with TB, HR and Ommadawn. Those albums is the sound of multi-track tape recording. This is especially the case with HR where what seems to be recording mistakes and experiments are used as effects extensively.
Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2010, 18:47

In Changeling there is a beaut photo of Mike and co. Raking up the tape chewed by the monster tape machine when recording Ommadawn. The quality of tape was awful back then and would break easily. Plus Mike tinkered with the tape system to make that ordinary multi track machine do playbacks etc. I reckon we would have given up! Just thinking about the time needed and quircky faults jamming the works! Thank heavens Mike persevered with it. Remastering won't be as satisfying to Mike, not enough tinkering needed these days. I want to hear the new release with all those faults, unchanged.
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2010, 19:34

yes, i'd like some more of that murder :O i don't like the original tubular bells at all and i like tb2003 very much. good is good, sometimes made of silicon :laugh:

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2010, 04:47

I would like to see Mike follow the Genesis Box set re releases. With a 2 disc set of each album. The 1st being a hybrid CD/SACD ,and the 2nd disc being a DVD that had rare video performances and some great reflective interviews about the albums...
A 3 disc set that have 2 Audio discs would be ideal,the 2nd disc having original mixes or rare material...but this would be expensive to the record company who would be looking the cheapest ,mass appeal release, as apposed to what we, the minority of collectors would want...which is a shame!!!!
Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2010, 06:04

I would most pleased with a CD version of the HR original, minus the pops/clicks/surface noise and congestion that plagued the vinyl pressings. No tinkering needed IMHO... A "2003" or "2009" rework of HR would be interesting as well, but I still favor the original, with all of its faults...
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2010, 09:01

Totally agree with HRF
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2010, 09:03

Hi.Sorry to be a nerd but the tape being raked was a load of unused tape from the TB sessions which they delivered to Branson's office as a practicle joke telling him it was the TB master tape.What happended with the Ommadawn tape was the first version was recorded on poor quality tape that kept shedding oxide all over the tape machine.It didn't get chewed but had to be binned as everytime he went to play it back more and more of what he'd recorded had disppeared.
In the All You Need Is Love film he's playing the original version.As he goes through it he says that there should be a gong and he mutters "oh that's not there either" suggesting he was having problems with it while the film crew were there.Hence his having to re-record the whole of side one.
As for the suggestion here that he should have remade Ommadawn and HR ala TB 2003......God no!TB 2003 was good as a technical demo of current (for then) technology but to me it sounds sterile and tekes all the organic soul out of the original.Part of what gives TB it's charm is that it was flawed by the limitations of the technology available and that they had to be really inventive to find ways around those limitations (see the 'Taped Motor Driven Amplified Organ Chord' for example).To do that to HR and Ommadawn (the latter being far superior to TB or HR IMHO)would be a huge mistake.
 I think all I'd really want os a decent representation of the original mix of HR.Still not sure what could be done with Ommadawn though.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2010, 09:21

5.1 Of Omadawn would be incredible.

The music deserves it.

The amount of old records tha get the 5.1 treatment and are such a waste is overwhelming.

Omadawn is just right for 5.1 as was the real quadrophonic mix.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2010, 18:58

Caveman thanks for letting me know that the tape in that pic was in fact TB. Thats what happens when you take a crash course on all things MO. And just reading selected chapters! Still so much I don't know. I know what I like, HR and Ommadawn. Not cleaned up too much but with 5.1 quality. Now that would be nice.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2010, 03:09

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Jan. 22 2010, 17:46)
Just got from Amarok list:

The Word Magazine frequently have some very interesting interviews, but one bit in particular jumped out at me as possibly being of interest here.

http://bit.ly/7hBP1u
or
http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/content....robably

They interview Phil Smee who (mostly) designs, annotates and helps compile re-issues of albums. About 32'40 in, Phil mentions that he is "currently working with Mark Powell on Mike Oldfield stuff and "he's found demos, all sorts of things..."

Sounds interesting, I just hope that they all get released in some shape or form.

Matthew Cochrane

Thanks for that Tati! (and of course Matthew! )

I would love to do Phil's work; searching through old tapes and demos, finding rare stuff. I hope they make something fun out of it in these next issues (and see Don Alfonso released properly on cd, and perhaps more).

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2010, 05:53

:) Great news !
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2010, 21:31

Quote (larstangmark @ Jan. 24 2010, 20:05)
Quote (theweightless @ Jan. 24 2010, 14:17)

You mean that he should murder Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn? I'm pretty sure he would replace the Sally & Bridget with a computer sample and reduce the Jabula group to a drum loop. And hearing Hergest Ridge - and album that is just as out of tune as it is out of time - after one of Mike's infamous makovers would propably be like replacing your girlfriend with a computer generated, symetrically corrected silicon replica.
I think Mike's later material (from Incantations and on) would lend itself much better to re-makes because the recording technology is not such an intergrated part of the music as is the case with TB, HR and Ommadawn. Those albums is the sound of multi-track tape recording. This is especially the case with HR where what seems to be recording mistakes and experiments are used as effects extensively.
Lars T

I have to agree with you Lars, if it ain't broke don't fix it, if there's any rarities outtakes, original versions aurviving I;d love to hear those  :)  :cool: .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
146 replies since Jan. 16 2010, 13:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net