Posted: Jan. 18 2010, 02:25

these i could buy, i like both very much

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 18 2010, 03:53

HR and Ommadawn can be improved greatly I guess, but what do you think about later albums? Will be Incantations wort of re-mixing? And Platinum, QE2 sound good as they are.

I mean after HR and Omma instead of this he should focus on something new.

Also do you think they are going to master those new mixes on vinyl? It was a bit disapointment that in the TB ultimate edition there was the original mix on LP.
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2010, 07:29

Believe it when I see it .

Box set anyone ?
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2010, 07:40

Quote (spark @ Jan. 18 2010, 07:29)
Box set anyone ?

Is "boxed" out of print?
Anyway I prefer to have indivudal albums. Box sets are incovenient when travelling.
Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2010, 08:46

WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!At last a date.Oh hold on......MOTS was very late and these 2 were supposed to be out last year.Ok i'll wait and see.Bloody hope so though.
 I believe Mike agreed to be involved with the whole re-iss programme.What i really want to see is a proper official original HR mix.so long as he doesn't screw around with it like he did on MO's Single i'll be a happy bunny indeed.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2010, 11:41

This should prove interesting. HR better be the non-boxed version, original 1974. I was ready to hurl after I bought the yeah.....the remix.....in 1997. Ommadawn was never trashed out. I have faith in Ommadawn 100%.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2010, 11:49

yeah i really don't like the 76 remix.I was happy till i realised that all copies except the pre 76 ones were the remix.When i heard the original i flipped out big time as it just sounds so much fuller.IMO he mixed out my favourite parts.The extra guitars,the snare drum hell even the nutcracker on side 2! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Jan. 18 2010, 12:41

As I've said before, I prefer the boxed remix myself. Various bits of the original remix I find too "in my face" compared to the remixes subtleties, though I agree other bits of the original mix sound fuller. Deep down I still feel (hope) there might be an even better remix in there somewhere that combines the best of both. Fingers crossed....

Regardless of whether there are any new mixes, the re-release should at the very least have the original mix and the boxed remix!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2010, 13:28

I don't understand something:

UNIVERSAL announced that...but Mike's Tubular Bells to Heaven's Open now belongs to MERCURY.

So can someone explain please how Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn ended up to Universal?
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2010, 13:50

Mercury is one of many labels that come under Universal  :D
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2010, 17:53

@ Drealm: yes, that's it. Up to the early 2000s, Mercury and Vertigo and Philips and Decca and Deutsche Grammophon and many others were all owned by PolyGram. In the early 2000s (I don't remember exactly when) Universal bought Polygram and that was it. If you look closely on the back cover of MOtS, you'll see both the Universal and the Mercury logo. So it's the same thing. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2010, 18:36

Im happy... I will finally get my hands on a copy. It has been b...difficult trying to buy it! Walk into a shop, ask for HR and Ommadawn and the guy goes H What? Bloomin ignoramus! No more frustration!
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2010, 03:14

Quote (Matt @ Jan. 18 2010, 17:41)
As I've said before, I prefer the boxed remix myself. Various bits of the original remix I find too "in my face" compared to the remixes subtleties, though I agree other bits of the original mix sound fuller. Deep down I still feel (hope) there might be an even better remix in there somewhere that combines the best of both. Fingers crossed....

Regardless of whether there are any new mixes, the re-release should at the very least have the original mix and the boxed remix!

Matt I have to agree with you for the most part.I`ve always prefered the boxed mix of Hergest Ridge,although I dare say it may well have been a different story had I become familiar with the original mix first.Personaly what I would like to see would be a double disc set with the original mix getting it`s first cd release at long last for the many fans who have requested it over the years.Plus a new mix/remaster from Mike which I would surmise would be more in line with the boxed mix anyway.Idealy I guess you would have all three like you say,but at least we do have the boxed version anyway.Obviously because Mike has never really been happy with Hergest Ridge,there`s probably a good chance that that will be the work that he`ll change the most.So I don`t know?If Mike does`nt decide to allow the original mix to be released this time round.Then we could well end up with a situation where nobody is happy.I guess we`ll see when the time comes around,although I would be curious to hear a new mix of it I must admit.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2010, 05:42

And for those of you who maybe think Hergest Ridge can`t possibly be improved in any way whatsoever... Think Again!   ;)

Assuming HR does get a "spring" re-release,it could all tie-in very nicely.
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2010, 07:12

If Mike dosnt release the original HR this time around IMO he never will.

This is the best chance he will ever get to do this.

I hope he dosnt touch Omadawn but who knows ?

He has a late night on the cider goes to the mixing desk and wipes the lot, then starts again and we get a 2010 recording !

Frightening thought !!!!
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Jan. 19 2010, 09:11

Still waiting for the promised Ommadawn II.

;)
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2010, 09:53

@Dirk.The link said that the area was said to have inspired TB.Er don't think so.HR and Ommadawn yes but TB was inspired by Mike's life up to that point and life in the city.
 As for which HR mix is the better one,i'd only ever heard the remix up till i found a copy of the original.I liked the remix and had been listening to it since i was about 7 and i only heard the original when i was about 22 or 23.I then realised that the original has lots of bits that were removed.I especially like the extra guitar parts one side one and the way the organ sounds at the start of side two 'morphed' from one to the other.I felt the remix made it sound more static.From what i've read i understand why Mike removed these but i always felt he went a bit far in insisting that all subsequent copies were of the remix.
 I know Scatterplot and others have a really good copy that's been denoised but i'd dearly love a proper cd re-issue of the original.I'd be happy with just that.
 I really can't see how Ommadawn can be improved on.To me it representas the point that Mike really got it all together technically to produce an almost perfect peice of music and i cannot think of a single thing i'd change.It'll be interesting to hear but i don't think it will make me prefer it.And judging by the TB remix last year i think i will be justified in this.
 As for Ommadawn 2.When was this promised?I know Mike has loosely described Amarok as a kind of Ommadawn 2 and it does have elements of Ommadwn in it but unless Manintherain knows something i don't then i don't think we'll ever see it.Although Mike is still very fond of this one.He even played it live on the Then And Now tour.I know as i was there in Birmingham.Could have cried,but i am biased as he started recording this in January 75.The month i was born.

--------------
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2010, 10:27

Quote (Dirk Star @ Jan. 19 2010, 08:14)
I dare say it may well have been a different story had I become familiar with the original mix first.

You've hit the nail on the head there. I'm much more familiar with the Boxed mix over the years, and as a consequence prefer it over the original.
I like the minimalist way Mike remixed this most reflective of his albums. A 2CD set with both versions would be great - you never konw with repeated listening people may change their allegieances to each mix  :)
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2010, 10:48

Sounds like excellent news!

(Provided of course that we get some new and/or rare material and that Mercury don't fleece us again like they did last time with the TB Ultimate edition...)

I wonder whether there'll be different versions of the releases and a similar amount of promotion as with TB, or whether this will be a more low-key effort with just a standard digipack/jewel case?

Edited to add: I see that mikeoldfield.com will also be returning (not that I realised it had disappeared! ) I do hope it's going to make a comeback as the 'flagship' site for Mike and his work and not simply be an out-of-date adjunct to that (slightly rubbish) TB2009 promo site. MO deserves a properly designed, informative and comprehensive website about his career and his music IMO.

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2010, 11:36

I'm in the way of thinking, HR.....just offer up 2 versions. Boxed and original. Heck, they would fit on one CD. RE the original, mastered by Porky Peckham(sp)....I had an idea. I'm not techie enough to understand how the metal master plates were made to stamp the '74 LPs since it's old technology I have not looked up in years. But suppose....logic would dictate the plate(s) are in an archive somewhere right? I don't want the original altered in any way except clean up the overdriven choir crescendos and oboe etc. Maybe a little tweeking. Couldn't the same laser technology used to read and burn CD's be used to "read" the analog info on the plate and convert to digital? Then apply the RIAA equalization curve and voila you've got a perfect copy? Food for thought if it hasn't been done already?........It's something that's bugging me since it seems we have the technology to make it work. The plate would be a reverse of the LP. Instead of grooves, a circular raised mountain of amplitude and frequency information. Could this work or am I just blowing hot air? My thinking is I'm not. I gonna google this for info. RE Ommadawn, change nothing. It was perfect as-is. Just apply some noise reduction and tweeking. Easiest job in the world.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
146 replies since Jan. 16 2010, 13:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net