Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hergest Ridge Mix differences, How do the Boxed and 74 mixes compare?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
captainjjb Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 15 2010, 15:05

the "chug chug" guitar from 12:12 can't be a 2010 addition or else he might have re-done the bit at 13:30 where he appears to have almost hit a bum note and just opted to do a rhythm instead of the chords for a bar or two.  

I like the 2010 version - it sounds very fresh.  The trumpet in particular sounds fantastic and it's great to have some of the original 1974 mix back in, I'd forgotton most of it having only had the "boxed" mix for years.

Is there a funny bleep noise at 15:42 though? - sounds like a studio created "sync" noise to my ears?
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: June 15 2010, 15:42

aha, isn't it the case that the chug chug guitar on part 1 at 12:12  comes from the demo version, he appears to have mixed that in from the demo into the 2010 version.
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: June 15 2010, 17:35

Right I need a little help here.  I purchased what I thought was the 2010 mix of Hergest Ridge from Amazon for £1.99, but I'm unsure if it is infact the 2010 mix as I can't hear this chug chug guitar part from 12.12 you are all referring to.  It is different from the other version of Hergest Ridge I got on CD about 3 years ago though.

The new version I've got does sound like a re-mix.  The guitar, Oboe piece starts off with just the Guitar and the Oboe comes in later than in the version I got 3 years ago.  The piece that begins at 12.18 on the new version has a kind of repetetive synth stab which is absent from the version I got 3 years ago as well.  Is this the 2010 version?
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: June 15 2010, 18:03

Ultimately for me - the thing I love most about Hergest Ridge is its utterly captivating intro. That magical, mystical, enchanting melody is like something from another time. Haunting and melancholic, and yet also uplifting (no mean feat) it is probably the most beautiful little tune he wrote. This is best exemplified in the original mix. For me it is not so much the textures that are woven later - but just this simple repeated refrain which up to and including the first crescendo is all that is necessary to lodge this thing firmly in the consciousness. If the piece had only lasted for 8 or 9 minutes it would have been enough ... for me at least. But it carries on with subtle melodic developments, nuances - it is ever so delicate this thing. Pastoral ... that is what it is.

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 15 2010, 18:04

Quote (Chicular @ June 15 2010, 23:35)
The new version I've got does sound like a re-mix.  The guitar, Oboe piece starts off with just the Guitar and the Oboe comes in later than in the version I got 3 years ago.  The piece that begins at 12.18 on the new version has a kind of repetetive synth stab which is absent from the version I got 3 years ago as well.  Is this the 2010 version?

It's not a synth, it's an acoustic guitar. Anyway, yes, that's the 2010 mix. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: June 15 2010, 18:14

Thanks Ugo, although are you sure it's an Acoustic Guitar? Sounds Synthy to me
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 16 2010, 04:01

Quote (Chicular @ June 15 2010, 17:35)
Right I need a little help here.  I purchased what I thought was the 2010 mix of Hergest Ridge from Amazon for £1.99, but I'm unsure if it is infact the 2010 mix as I can't hear this chug chug guitar part from 12.12 you are all referring to.  It is different from the other version of Hergest Ridge I got on CD about 3 years ago though.

Well it sounds like the only mix you heard before was the 1976 remix (aka the Boxed mix) which was used on all CD copies of Hergest Ridge up until now.

So you may have downloaded the 2010 remix, or you may have downloaded the original 1974 mix.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 16 2010, 10:01

@ Chicular: it's an acoustic guitar with an extremely high treble level [on the board, I think - I don't think Mike had a plugged-in semi-acoustic guitar back then] and strummed quite hard. Trust me, I can produce exactly the same sound on my own 6-string, though not at that speed. :)

@ Jules: the acoustic guitar "stabs" are very, very quiet on the 1974 mix. If Chicular hears them clearly, he must be listening to the 2010 mix. :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
El Mystico Offline

Posted: June 16 2010, 10:10

This morning a beautiful blonde 22 year old came to my house, and gave me a full, long massage while I played the Surround Sound Hergest Ridge.

A sensation for all the senses.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 16 2010, 10:18

Quote (El Mystico @ June 16 2010, 16:10)
This morning a beautiful blonde 22 year old came to my house, and gave me a full, long massage while I played the Surround Sound Hergest Ridge.

:laugh: :D :laugh: Surely a pleasant experience, indeed. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 16 2010, 10:32

Quote (El Mystico @ June 16 2010, 10:10)

Woah!  Your day beats my decade.   :p

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 16 2010, 10:32

Quote (Ugo @ June 16 2010, 10:01)
@ Jules: the acoustic guitar "stabs" are very, very quiet on the 1974 mix. If Chicular hears them clearly, he must be listening to the 2010 mix. :cool:

Ah right.  OK.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: June 16 2010, 13:15

Has anyone else noticed that funny bleep noise at 15:42 though?   Is it just me?
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 16 2010, 13:38

Can a mix grow on you or bore you after a while, like an album? I'd say probably not, your opinion won't change after first listening.
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: June 16 2010, 14:05

Quote (Olivier @ June 16 2010, 13:38)
Can a mix grow on you or bore you after a while, like an album? I'd say probably not, your opinion won't change after first listening.

I think so, I'm getting more into the 2010 mix with every listen:)

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Chicular Offline

Posted: June 16 2010, 17:31

Quote (Ugo @ June 16 2010, 10:01)
@ Chicular: it's an acoustic guitar with an extremely high treble level [on the board, I think - I don't think Mike had a plugged-in semi-acoustic guitar back then] and strummed quite hard. Trust me, I can produce exactly the same sound on my own 6-string, though not at that speed. :)

You sound like a Man who knows his stuff.

I definitely like the 2010 version.  It offers something different.

I think I'll try the Original 74 version next.
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: June 16 2010, 18:45

Mmmmm...

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: June 16 2010, 18:46

I'd wager you put 5 into 1, El Mystico   :O

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: June 18 2010, 03:25

Quote (hairy old hippy @ June 14 2010, 15:55)
I beg to differ, there are are some bass drum and cymbal hits in the 'thunderstorm' section that sound new and I reckon, that the acoustic guitar in the trumpet/clarinet section on part one is a current day re-recording. I might be wrong but I thought the original was a steel strung acoustic but is now a classical guitar. The playing and recording quality also sounds like modern-day Mike. What do you all think?

The acoustic I'm talking about here starts at 07:32. It's the picked acoustic that used to be in the background, somewhere in the left speaker I think, but is now prominent and panned centre. Sounds like a re-recording to me.

Anyway, I'm really getting into the 2010 mix now, more so with every listen. I think it was a case of getting over what I expected to here having listened to the 74 an 76 mixes for twenty years or so. I think this album was the one most in need of proper remastering, remix or no remix, it always sounded muddy to me, even before I got into making music and mixing and mastering myself I could here it wasn't right. Now though, it sounds glorious, warm and clear without the dreaded glossy. Everything Tubular Bells II onwards sounds too glossy to my ears.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
captain cavern Offline

Posted: June 25 2010, 20:36

Remember the "Notes On Various Album Mixes" at the end of the old Lazlo Nibble's discography ;)

http://www.studio-nibble.com/lazlo-bin/discogs/oldfield/search/

All the differences between the TB, HR and O mixes are listed...
Profile PM 
75 replies since June 08 2010, 15:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net