Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hergest Ridge Mix differences, How do the Boxed and 74 mixes compare?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Caveman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 10 2010, 11:36

August 76 i believe.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 10 2010, 12:26

Quote (larstangmark @ June 10 2010, 11:33)
But how long was the original mix in print? I bought copy (new!;) in 1983 in a record store. I remember it being part of some type of nice price range. It had the original mix. Had that copy been lying on some shelf since 1976? I can't imagine it had been in the store for that many years.

Dunno about that.Doubt it had been hanging around all that time.I know my version was the Boxed one taped off a record from the local record libarary (we was poor but we was 'appy! ;) ).Yours slipped through the net!

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 10 2010, 13:15

Quote (familyjules @ June 10 2010, 13:36)
It [i.e. the 'Boxed' mix] sounds more like the country that inspired it.

Nine perfect words about the 'Boxed' Hergest Ridge compared with the original. One might prefer one mix or the other, but this observation rings true, for me.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 11 2010, 04:29

Quote (Alan D @ June 10 2010, 13:15)
Quote (familyjules @ June 10 2010, 13:36)
It [i.e. the 'Boxed' mix] sounds more like the country that inspired it.

Nine perfect words about the 'Boxed' Hergest Ridge compared with the original. One might prefer one mix or the other, but this observation rings true, for me.

Thanks, Alan, I was pretty pleased with that statement.  It rang true as soon as I typed it.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: June 12 2010, 01:42

The original rules. Boxed sucks. Simple enough.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: June 12 2010, 02:14

Quote (The Caveman @ June 09 2010, 16:55)
One thing though,won't be a 'new' thing.Rtaher something buried in the mix and bought back up for the 2010 mix.Nothing new will have been actually added,rather there will have been parts inaudible but still there on the tape just mixed out.

Mr Caveman...

I agree with you, nothing has been added.
But you must admit that from 12:12 of part 1, it is quite different!
You say "inaudible". I agree....really inaudible on the 1974 mix.
:D

("inaudible" is the same word as in French...funny!;)

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 12 2010, 02:45

Yanouch; yes, it's very *audible* now. It's  the 12.12 shocker - choquant!! :O

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: June 12 2010, 08:46

Quote (wiga @ June 12 2010, 08:45)
Yanouch; yes, it's very *audible* now. It's  the 12.12 shocker - choquant!! :O

Yes, and I am not sure to like it....

:/

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 12 2010, 09:11

Quote (Scatterplot @ June 12 2010, 01:42)

Let me count the ways to say "bollocks" to that.   :)

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: June 12 2010, 14:57

Gah! HR deluxe still aint available in the Americas! I know I could just go ebay with it, but I trust amazon  :p  :D

I pre-ordered it today, so I'll get it late, but whatevs.

Ishmaeliscopic

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 12 2010, 17:43

Quote (familyjules @ June 12 2010, 14:11)

Is this the 'Hergest Ridge Bolloxed' mix we're talking about, here?
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: June 12 2010, 21:43

You know what they say, Jules, "Everythings big (and simple) in Texas!"

:laugh:

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: June 13 2010, 09:42

Quote (familyjules @ June 12 2010, 09:11)
Quote (Scatterplot @ June 12 2010, 01:42)

Jules

And let me count the ways ... :D ... seriously - I ALWAYS prefered the original (even if MO came not to) because that was the first one I heard. When I got Boxed it was for the extras really. Of course all of this stuff is the original vinyl back in the 70s.

I was puzzled as to why he wanted to strip it back further when it was already pretty minimalist to start with. But as the composer I suppose MO is allowed!

I'm all for choice. That's why I always wanted to see a deluxe issue with the two versions on it. If there are more - great - but I know which one I will prefer. I Haven't got mine yet (or my 2CD+DVD version of Ommadawn either) but I know they are on their way. I have heard snippets on that new website and wondered why mess around with Ommadawn anyway?

One thing. Whats with the awful new cover to HR? The old one might not have been as memorable (or good) as TB but it was OK and this new one is no better - so why bother?

More to come when I have heard these things...

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: June 13 2010, 15:19

I have listened to the 2010 mix about 3 or 4 times now and really love the Acoustic Guitar and Oboe part.  The Guitar is more prominent and I like the way the Oboe comes in after Mike gives the Acoustic Guitar centre stage.
Profile PM 
whetstone Offline

Posted: June 13 2010, 16:05

Thanks for all your comments on this strand.  I am growing to like the 2010 mix very much.  It as if Mike has come back to the album with love in his heart and found some additional warmth in the music - I guess it was written at a very tense time for Mike with the pressures of TB's success and maybe it takes all these years for Mike to get some distance.  There is a lot to like in the mix - agree the 12.12 strum is a bit odd but just listen to the acoustic guitar in the Part 1 playout (comes in 16:45) which could not really be heard clearly before - what a lovely simple warm tune.  That's going to be playing in my head when I am next atop the Ridge.
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: June 13 2010, 16:43

Since posting earlier this afternoon - I have been listening to what's on Spotify. I couldn't wait until posty brings my goodies for real. It's great to hear the HR 1974 mix - but even that sounds a little tweaked to these ears (unless I am imagining things - but I do know that stuff like the back of my hand). The 2010 mix has some interesting twists - stereo echo of mandolins etc. but also some weird (and perhaps unnecessary) things here and there. I suppose a new mix has to experiment doesn't it - otherwise what is the point? Anyway, without greater investigation which will take place in a day or so when my CDs arrive I've no more to add other than it's great to be transported back to 1974 again (and being able to forget about 1976).

BTW - anybody who knows them - try www.play.com as an alternate to amazon. They are quick and email you at various stages to let you know how your order is coming on (particularly when it is posted).

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 13 2010, 17:15

Quote (Ghostmojo @ June 13 2010, 09:42)
I was puzzled as to why he wanted to strip it back further when it was already pretty minimalist to start with.

Well it's minimalist in terms of musical development, but in terms of overdubbing, the original is actually quite cluttered.  I felt that the Boxed mix helped give the music more room to breathe.  The result actually succeeds in giving the piece greater variation - at least to my ears.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 14 2010, 09:32

Quote (yanouch65 @ June 12 2010, 02:14)
One thing though,won't be a 'new' thing.Rtaher something buried in the mix and bought back up for the 2010 mix.Nothing new will have been actually added,rather there will have been parts inaudible but still there on the tape just mixed out.

Mr Caveman...

I've got it now and yeah it's very audible.Oddly ehough neither the original or the Boxed version has it but both the demo and the remix do.Haven't really given either the Ommadawn or the HR remixes much of a listen but that part leapt out at me!

--------------
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: June 14 2010, 15:41

Quote (wiga @ June 09 2010, 10:34)
Right - 2010 mix. It's a new thing alright.

It's not new, it's in the original mix albeit very quietly.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: June 14 2010, 15:55

Quote (yanouch65 @ June 12 2010, 02:14)

Mr Caveman...

I beg to differ, there are are some bass drum and cymbal hits in the 'thunderstorm' section that sound new and I reckon, that the acoustic guitar in the trumpet/clarinet section on part one is a current day re-recording. I might be wrong but I thought the original was a steel strung acoustic but is now a classical guitar. The playing and recording quality also sounds like modern-day Mike. What do you all think?

At first a lot of stuff in the 2010 mix really jarred with me but like much of Mike's work it makes more sense with every listen. There are a couple of changes I was hoping for that have been made; the fade at the start of part 1 and the increased volume of the 'thunderstorm' section. I could never understand why that was so quiet originally. Good to see the tubular bells have retained there 'balls' this time round too.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
75 replies since June 08 2010, 15:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net