Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hergest Ridge Mix differences, How do the Boxed and 74 mixes compare?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
whetstone Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 08 2010, 15:36

Now we have the 74 mix on CD does anyone have the time to run it in parallel with the 'Boxed' mix and highlight the differences in the two - e.g. points where instruments are pushed back in the mix, dropped or emphasised?
It seems to me that the Boxed mix was much more what Mike intended for the album (listening to the demos) so I would be interested in what he did to the vinyl mix to make it more 'commercial' - some things like more snare, trumpet and sleigh bells are obvious but some of the differences seem more subtle.
Do readers think the 2010 mix is a bit of both approaches and gives us a really excellent balanced take on a truly lovely album?
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 09 2010, 03:48

Still waiting for my copy of the deluxe version to compare the 2010 mix.
 However....briefly speaking the 74 mix differs in the following ways. On side one a lot of guitar parts were taken out on the 76 mix,particuarly at 3.51 where 2 fuzz guitars play a 'fanfare' before the crescendo and at the next crescendo at 5.34 another guitar plays a solo over the trumpet part (also erased).The snare drum can be heard here also and strummed accoustic guitars are much more to the fore.The section immediately following this is also punctuated by lead guitar lines over the trumpet.The oboe and guitar duet (8.41)has what sounds like a harp below the guitar to the left.The bass solo/riff has a more prominent keyboard part.Not that much else on side one.
 Side two starts with a different keyboard sound with a slightly simpler melody.The crescendo at 2.41 sees the voices much further back in the mix and the fuzz lead further in the background too.The build up section from 6.01 ises different keyboard sound morphing into another at around 6.30.At 8.46 the keyboard is again different and the flute much more prominent.The huge chord sounds much bigger but the 'thunderstorm' section  sounds very muffled (thankfully the 76 mix sorted this-hopefully the 74 mix on cd rectifies this).There also a lead part playing a melody all the wat through.
That's about it really.Except of course that on side 2 a nutcracker can be heard clicking away throught the thunderstorm section.Hope this helps.As you can see a lot was stripped away in 76.I much prefer the original as it has all those extra guitar parts.Can't wait to get the deluxe version with all the extra goodies.Any day now!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 09 2010, 09:24

I'm still stuck and fixated on this LOUD guitar/ banjo strum that comes in at around 12 minutes (Part1, Disc1) - it sticks out like a sore thumb!! Spoils the best part for the piece for me. It's absent in Part1, Disc2, but returns again in Part1(3).

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 09 2010, 09:58

Is that on the original version.I think i know the bit you mean.I like that bit! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 09 2010, 10:25

Not the original version. On the Deluxe Edition - Disc1, Part1 -I''ve never heard it before, at 12.12 mins. What version is that - I'm confused? It drowns everything out.

--------------
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 09 2010, 10:30

Quote (wiga @ June 09 2010, 10:25)
On the Deluxe Edition - Disc1, Part1 -I''ve never heard it before, at 12.14 mins. What version is that - I'm confused?

It's the 2010 remix.  If it's not there on disc 2 (the 1974 original mix) at the same point, then it'll be a new thing.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 09 2010, 10:34

Right - 2010 mix. It's a new thing alright.

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 09 2010, 10:55

Ok.So looking forward to reciving my copy of the deluxe edition so i can have a listen to this stuff.One thing though,won't be a 'new' thing.Rtaher something buried in the mix and bought back up for the 2010 mix.Nothing new will have been actually added,rather there will have been parts inaudible but still there on the tape just mixed out.

--------------
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 09 2010, 11:06

Quote (The Caveman @ June 09 2010, 10:55)
Ok.So looking forward to reciving my copy of the deluxe edition so i can have a listen to this stuff.One thing though,won't be a 'new' thing.Rather something buried in the mix and bought back up for the 2010 mix.Nothing new will have been actually added,rather there will have been parts inaudible but still there on the tape just mixed out.

Well that's what I meant by 'new'.  I should have used a different word really.

Mine still isn't here yet either.  Both Ommadawn and HR sent the same day from the same supplier.  Ommadawn got here two days ago.  How the **** can that happen?  Grrrr.   :(

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 09 2010, 11:07

In mail order land anything is possible! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
zinc Offline

Posted: June 09 2010, 12:55

HR Boxed set came today so just about to dive in. Packaging looks impressive and booklet good although lot of the text looks like a straight lift from Changeling Autobiography rather than new info. Still gonna see what the music is like.
Ommadawn not here- pity as what I am most looking forward to.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 09 2010, 14:29

Quote (The Caveman @ June 09 2010, 10:55)
One thing though,won't be a 'new' thing.Rtaher something buried in the mix and bought back up for the 2010 mix.

Yes - it was buried deep in the mix in the original. It's a same note monotonous strum (at 12.12) - da da da da da da da da da da da....

I was like - what the hell!!

After 48 hours I'm used to it now - I've moved on... :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 10 2010, 03:15

Lol.Still waiting for my copy but since it was only ordered from Play.com on monday afternoon i suspect i may have a wait yet.

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 10 2010, 07:30

I bought the vinyl with the 1974 mix in 1983. I got the CD in 1993. I had a really shitty semi-broken stereo equipment at the time (possibly an old tin box?) so I just assumed there was something with the wiring - one channel being dead or something like that. A couple of years later I learnt through the great new thing called the internet that there were indeed two different mixes.
The whole trumpet/no-trumpet section is a whole different piece depending on which version you listen to.
The first time I heard HR in 1983 I though it sounded crude sound-wise. That impression was made stronger by the strange timing of some of the playing. It just sounded "rough", but I learnt to like that. The Boxed remix I think sounds like someone tried to hide the uglier elements and as a result there are "empty" areas musically.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 10 2010, 08:36

Quote (larstangmark @ June 10 2010, 07:30)
The first time I heard HR in 1983 I though it sounded crude sound-wise. That impression was made stronger by the strange timing of some of the playing. It just sounded "rough", but I learnt to like that. The Boxed remix I think sounds like someone tried to hide the uglier elements and as a result there are "empty" areas musically.

I agree that the original sounds crude in places.  But although I agree to a certain degree with your thoughts about the Boxed mix (ie that it hides the uglier elements), I don't think the results sound 'empty'.  Just more sparse.  It adds to the tranquility and the pastoral nature of the piece IMO.  It sounds more like the country that inspired it.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 10 2010, 08:47

I really want to hear the Boxed edition again - I can't remember what it sounded like. I've got the vinyl still - might have to buy a turntable.

--------------
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 10 2010, 08:55

Quote (wiga @ June 10 2010, 08:47)
I really want to hear the Boxed edition again - I can't remember what it sounded like. I've got the vinyl still - might have to buy a turntable.

If you have any previous CD edition of Hergest Ridge then that is also the Boxed mix, despite not saying so on the sleeve.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 10 2010, 10:43

Just to clarify Jules point:Original 1974-76.Anything in any format post the release of Boxed is the Boxed remix.Mike decided that this was the only mix he wanted available so the only way to get the original mix was to get a copy of the orginal-untill now. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 10 2010, 11:07

So - all HR bought after 1976 is the Boxed version.

That means I've never even heard the 'original' until this week!!

Thanks, I think my favourite is the Boxed then :cool:  :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 10 2010, 11:33

But how long was the original mix in print? I bought copy (new!;) in 1983 in a record store. I remember it being part of some type of nice price range. It had the original mix. Had that copy been lying on some shelf since 1976? I can't imagine it had been in the store for that many years.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
75 replies since June 08 2010, 15:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net