Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hergest Ridge is the Best!, The emotional power of Hergest Ridge< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
henryparr Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 08 2018, 13:30

HERGEST RIDGE has a deep and powerful effect on me emotionally and spiritually, way beyond any other music I know. It seems to put me in contact with something I can best describe as profound joy. It may even be what some people call enlightenment. It speaks to me of bliss, supreme contentment, perfect security with perfect freedom - a feeling of being at peace with the world, and the profound bliss of being wholly alive in the moment.
Unfortunately, wonderful though the feelings are, they are always slightly detached – it’s not so much a case of feeling profound joy as being made aware of it - the music doesn’t give me enlightenment, it merely shows me it.  
This is a double edged sword, depending how I’m feeling! Sometimes it feels like a glimpse of something I will one day be able to find in my real life, which is heavenly, but other times it can feel utterly unattainable, and that can feel very melancholy.

In Mikes autobiography he says that he was musically dried up after Tubular Bells, was suffering badly with panic attacks, guilt, emotional anger, was drinking too much to suppress the attacks, and that Hergest Ridge was a real struggle to get recorded.
BUT. . .
He also says how he loved his hideaway on Bradnor Hill and the view of the ‘beautiful, long, ridged hill called Hergest Ridge. He also talks about his music as a ‘cocoon he could retreat to where everything was beautiful and safe . . . that stopped the panic attacks from coming’. I believe it is the contrast between these feelings that makes Hergest Ridge so powerful emotionally. The more angst he had, the more deeply he gave himself to that beautiful musical world inside himself, and the more wonderful was the music he was able to draw out of it. But –  the ultimate tragedy of the artist; terrible pain giving rise to beautiful art, which fails to help with the pain, which itself prevents you fully appreciating what you have made.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 08 2018, 19:25

I agree with HR's power and beauty... but to me it tells a story, an important part of which is a terrible wrath (the 'thunderstorm' ) section.
Profile PM 
omgmo Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2018, 21:31

A treasure.
Profile PM 
omgmo Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2019, 13:46

HR is so great an album!
I cannot understand why it is generally considered much inferior to "Ommadawn" or even TB. (Or isn't it? Hmm...)

Quote (nightspore @ April 08 2018, 19:25)
to me it tells a story

I have not understood what the story is, but I have seen pictures (in the dark, as well as in the light and in the twilight :laugh: )
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2019, 18:15

Quote (omgmo @ Feb. 08 2019, 13:46)
but I have seen pictures (in the dark, as well as in the light and in the twilight :laugh: )

Just tell me where you get your stuff, Omgmo  :O  :laugh:
Profile PM 
omgmo Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2019, 22:36

It flows out of my speakers like a river.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2019, 17:54

So orchestral man ouevres in the dark as well!  :cool:
Profile PM 
ShakC Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2022, 09:29

Superb album, has to be in Top 5
Profile PM 
Basilrathbon Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2022, 07:58

Quote (ShakC @ Feb. 04 2022, 09:29)
Superb album, has to be in Top 5

The top 5 of what?
Profile PM 
ShakC Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2022, 03:37

Top 5 Mike Oldfield albums
Profile PM 
9 replies since April 08 2018, 13:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net