Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hergest Ridge: for me the best Mike's album, Thoughts after listening to the 2010 Mix< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
knife edge Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 23 2014, 09:19

Hi all,

I've recently re-listened carefully and peacefully to the 2010 Mix of Hergest Ridge.
I first met this album with the boxed version in the original first cd appearance, then I've found the Original Mix "bootleg" version form vynil, and I fell in love with it... then... I've relistend to the boxed version and in some way I appreciated more the simplicity and "acousticness" and "guitarness" of this version compared to the original mix. (uuhmm... my english is getting worse with time, well, I hope you understand me anyway).
Nevertheless, I still missed some "fullness" of the original mix...

Then in 2010 Mike has done this beautiful job in the remix.
The result, in my opinion, is a perfect blend of the simplicity and minimalism of the boxed version and the power of the original mix. Moreover, many acoustic guitar works have come to surface with perfect and full sound. The original tracks must have been recorded in very high quality, because this 2010 mix is one of the most audiophile-oriented sounding album of Mike.
Simply perfect sounds. I just love the soft beginning with the... "chimes"? (what are?), the "new guitar stabs" not far from the beginning, and the marvellous solo of acoustic guitar (which is never been heard, always "covered" suddenly by the  english-horn solo) around 7:30. And I can live with the mandolin "incident" around 12:xx...
Those bucolic atmospheres, those softly emerging emotions, the acoustic solos... the "guitars tempest"... the beautiful choir...

Simply perfect.

I know that it's not the common opinion here, but I think that the 2010 Mix truly capture the essence and emotional power of this album, somewhat "hidden" by the shades of TB and Ommadawn. I can't decide if it's superior to Ommadawn, but, for me, it's probably superior to TB in the 2010 mix.
Profile PM 
qcfoetus Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2014, 18:53

Ah... Hergest Ridge! I remember listening to the original version, days after its release in 1974. Disappointing at first, but then the music grew on me, and I began truly enjoying it. I remember being very impressed with the Boxed mix when it was released in 1976, but not quite as impressed with the CD release that came years later. The 2010 mix is fun, but probably not my personal favourite. I still prefer the 1974 and 1976 versions. But whatever the version, Hergest Ridge remains one of my favourites albums of all time, and certainly one of Mike's best.
Profile PM 
tarquincat Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2014, 07:57

I there are people out there who pick out Hergest Ridge as a favourite.
For me, side 1 of Hergest Ridge 2010 is the finest piece of music I have listened to.
Profile PM 
knife edge Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2014, 11:12

Quote (tarquincat @ Mar. 24 2014, 07:57)
I there are people out there who pick out Hergest Ridge as a favourite.
For me, side 1 of Hergest Ridge 2010 is the finest piece of music I have listened to.

For me too.  :)
Profile PM 
Ridge Van Hergest Offline

Posted: June 30 2014, 04:38

Quote (knife edge @ Mar. 23 2014, 15:19)
I just love the soft beginning with the... "chimes"? (what are?)

Glockenspiel.

I too think this is one of Mike's best albums ever (my username subtly gives that away). I probably haven't heard all the different mixes, but I'm partial to the original from 1974.

--------------
Check out my record collection! (click "Homepage" button)
Profile PM WEB 
Sweep Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2014, 06:33

Yes, I love this album, too. I wonder if this topic might surprise Mike, as he's supposed to have produced it under pressure from Richard Branson and without much feeling of inspiration, if I'm remembering rightly. It seems he connected with his environment and something within him, anyway, because the album has such real depth and beauty. Maybe it's easier for us to appreciate that than for Mike himself, if he felt pressured and uneasy at the time?

I'm not ever sure how much I believe some of the comments that have been made - for example the one that the title came when someone asked Mike what that hill was across the way, and when he said `Hergest Ridge' they decided they'd call the album that. Come on - it has the feel of those hills throughout the entire piece, and Mike composed it at The Beacom with that view out of the windows. It sounds to me like something's being played down for whatever reason in these dismissive comments.

I've been inspired by the place myself and made music from the experience. I made sure mine was very different from Mike's work, but I do know the musical feel of the area first hand, and it's definitely totally present in Mike's piece.

I also had the experience of buying it when it was first released and not being sure about it - it was so different from Tubular Bells. But it's become my favourite Mike Oldfield album since. I too love the 2010 mix, but I also love the original. I find the other mix too sparse, but it's interesting. I intended to make an ultimate mix, but I've never got round to it. I don't know if that would even work - the various versions are so rich in different beautiful passages.

--------------
Website@: http://www.musicbysweep.com
Twitter: sweep1

Bradnor Hill (in memory of David Bedford): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKeATjaMCgA
Profile PM WEB 
Dartmoor Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2015, 14:18

It is so very hard to choose a favourite album.
I think the first part of Hergest Ridge is to me some of the most beautiful music Mike Oldfield has ever written. But there are parts of Ommadawn, TB and Incantations that have the same atmosphere and beauty to me. If I really had to choose one album it would be a very close tie between HR and Ommadawn :).

--------------
So if you feel a little glum
To Hergest Ridge you should come
Profile PM 
6 replies since Mar. 23 2014, 09:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net