Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hergest Ridge 2010, It's a B+< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Scatterplot Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 03 2010, 02:38

I got on here 3 years ago because of HR. Looking for a good non-boxed copy and I found it on Amazon. Ran it thru software, it turned out fine. I finally heard HR 2010 three years later(just now). Not bad! Some pros and cons: number one....no "girly vocals" were intended to be there in the beginning, yet sparse.....there are 2 incidences I hear on this, oh well...but the Boxed copy parts were 90% scrapped, which is good. That copy had way too much silly imbelishments and "girly nonsense vocal". This 2010 version has some keyboard and guitar parts added, yet it still holds to the original "Porky Cut" quite well. The oboe and choir overdrive has been improved by a few percent. The "thunderstorm" portion has new embelishments(there were never 90 guitars kids). It seemed to me the acoustic git was slightly out-of-tune on side 2 in 1974. I think MO re-recorded it. Who knows?  But a nice variant on a jewel of a song. My 2 cents worth on something priceless.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: July 03 2010, 04:07

Quote (Scatterplot @ July 03 2010, 02:38)
Not bad! Some pros and cons: number one....no "girly vocals"  "girly nonsense vocal".

Nailing the old colours to the mast again, eh Jim?  :p

CR

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 03 2010, 06:05

Nice to have you back in top form Jim. :)
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: July 03 2010, 10:28

Hey Jim, glad to hear from you.

I haven't gotten the new HR and Ommadawn yet, but I'm sure I will some day.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 06 2010, 16:02

"Nailing the old colours to the mast again, eh Jim?"

I don't know what that means. But I remember you Cooper Roy. Something about your response to my posts makes me sense.......irritation. I used to enjoy it here, but now.....why waste my time? My oppinion on MO works seems to only end on me being pissed off. Hence I avoid my once fav. site. HR remix was fun. But I see no point logging in to get mad. I'd rather do something else. So, if am I in error about your use of language(I'm a GD american used to american)? I need to understand your language. I you could explain colors and mast I might understand.  But HR remix is cool. Bye Tubularians.
Jimbo

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: July 06 2010, 18:48

Scatterplot.You know in amongst that phalange of gits you apparently possess,do you have one called Sexist ? Perhaps you might strum that awhile-idiot. :(

CR

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 07 2010, 11:54

I really used to have fun here. Hehe I remember we used to comment on funny album covers and such. I never actively seek conflict. But forums like everything else....shifting tides, new kids in the playground gain popularity while others decline, or graduate. I wanted to understand the "mast" and "colors" analogy. Never got an answer to what that means. Only a suggestion that I might be sexist. I still don't understand you, we don't have language equivilance. MO is male as am I, so I'm in the dark about sexist. I've liked pretty much everyone of both genders he's worked with. I've got his sister Sally's music and enjoyed it. If you could explain I might understand. For now, I'm left feeling it was a mistake to post on my oppinion of the HR remix. I see posting here now as high risk/low reward. Someday, I might need to ask a question in the tech forum. I don't need to be ostracised because I continually have conflict with you. For now, I just need clarification from you Cooper on your replies. Have a nice day. Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: July 07 2010, 17:44

Google it,Jim.
( No time-wasters,please. Nice try btw...)

CR

--------------
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 08 2010, 02:57

Quote (Scatterplot @ July 07 2010, 11:54)
I wanted to understand the "mast" and "colors" analogy. Never got an answer to what that means. Only a suggestion that I might be sexist.

Oh Scatterplot don't be such a wuss. If you're going to have an opinion fight for it. You have gone on record judging the women in your life pretty harshly and crudely. Is that inherently misogynist or not? Are you that surprised it's comes back to bite you on the bum?

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: July 08 2010, 05:23

I don't know what you people are getting from his responce, t me it seems he is asking a question about an ill-used expression (of which I'm not really sure means), so just back away for a moment and let theman speak his mind.

And I can feel and agree with the sociatle vibes coming from this conversation.

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 08 2010, 09:45

@ Jim/Scatterplot: "Nail your colours to the mast" means having an opinion and holding strongly to it. It doesn't absolutely imply sexism. See here.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 08 2010, 11:57

Thanks Ugo. Why didn't the coop just tell me that? It could have spared needless keystrokes. When I ask a question, I like an answer. Conversely if I am asked I give an answer....
   Wiga, its not about wuss or fighting. I come/came here in order to be placid and tranquil,  which is what so much of MO music is about. If things become turbulent, I pass. You have a good memory huh? I guess some of my stories were best not told. But I do love women. Man you should see some of the......never mind. It's my turn to leave something unfinished.
I just never wanted to emulate some of the fools from long ago that turned toob-net into their private bar brawl. Not my style. Yall be cool.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 08 2010, 17:51

Quote (Scatterplot @ July 08 2010, 11:57)
I guess some of my stories were best not told. But I do love women.

It might be down to cutural differences. I've come across Americans and Canadians openly running down current and past partners. The British/Europeans are generally very discreet in this area and don't do it.

--------------
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: July 08 2010, 19:37

We'll end this here,but I shall leave the discuss with an observation:

Is not the land of the free and home of the brave the very one that currently and historically, containeth innumerable so-called 'Gang-Members" who designate their turf/patch/allegiances -ad nauseum- by the adoption of colors?

Not such a great intellectual leap really, eh Jimbo?

Nuff Said!

CR

--------------
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: July 14 2010, 17:46

I liked Hergest Ridge 2010 mix, as a change.

The notes just seem to be really refined, giving it a new appeal. Like the notes all seem to have a half-of-a-quarter-of-a-second fade in, so nothing is rough or surprising.

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
Velodynamic Offline

Posted: July 27 2010, 07:54

This one is a 50/50 for me.
I love the clarity in parts with more emphasis but then again I'm missing some of the softness from the old mix in calm sections.
5.1 surround mix is kind of a strange trip having instruments flying across the livingroom.
Oh well, I got the new B2B vinyls aswell insted of my old crappy worn out ebay bargains I've had for a couple of years.
Running those smelly new records though some hot tubes will make it the best of two worlds.  :cool:

--------------
"...I've never seen a connection between music and politics.
It's like trying to connect football with croquet." -M.O.
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2010, 23:46

Quote (Scatterplot @ July 03 2010, 02:38)
I think MO re-recorded it. Who knows?

I had the same thought when I finally listened to it yesterday.

I had the impression that some guitar parts were re-recorded and re-played, like Tubular Bells 2003.

Some guitar parts are not played the same way. If it was a remix using only old stuff, how the guitar parts could ever have changed?

So I doubt a re-playing mixed with old stuff.

I listened to the Ommadawn 2010 and it was exactly the same, I didn't felt a "replaying", it was just the same album with way better sound.

But with Hergest Ridge 2010, it was not exactly the same. In the end, I was disappointed by it. Some other changes changed the feeling of the album, including of course the 12:12 incident.

I think I'll stick with my good old 1976 mix, the only one I ever knew.

But I will soon listen for the first time to the 1974 mix and after that I'll can answer the poll "Favourite Hergest Ridge version".
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2010, 03:49

Quote (Drealm @ Sep. 02 2010, 23:46)
But with Hergest Ridge 2010, it was not exactly the same. In the end, I was disappointed by it. Some other changes changed the feeling of the album, including of course the 12:12 incident.

Drealm; I agree - in the end I was disappointed too.

Your term, "12:12 incident" is a succinct way of putting it.

--------------
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2010, 18:42

Quote (wiga @ Sep. 03 2010, 03:49)
Quote (Drealm @ Sep. 02 2010, 23:46)

Drealm; I agree - in the end I was disappointed too.

Your term, "12:12 incident" is a succinct way of putting it.

It's funny you mention my "term" "12:12 incident" because I stole it from the post of "knife edge" from his post on page 2 of the thread "favorite hergest ridge version". I was curious of what he was talking about and when I listened to the "incident" I agreed completely.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2010, 03:50

Yes Drealm, credit to Knife Edge; - he says "the 12:12 incident ruined it."

Maybe it should be labelled the 12:12 critical incident, or the 12:12 emergency.

--------------
Profile PM 
87 replies since July 03 2010, 02:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net