[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hergest Ridge 2010, It's a B+< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 11 2011, 23:28

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 11 2011, 18:31)
@ nightspore: hitting the nail right on the head again, are we? :cool: Clap-clap-clap, you're really good at these kinds of explanations!! It's like listening to Mozart in Mozart's time and listening to Mozart now. A common mistake in historical movies is having a whole audience in a room sit there in reverent silence while the music plays.

Thanks, Ugo. I wish the concerts I'd attended had been in a reverent silence. Alas, the mere site of the conductor's baton tends to provoke fits of coughing!
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 12 2011, 14:25

I've been bugged about this mythical "12:12" thing going on in the forum, as I hadn't heard to the new mix album yet, and I say THANK YOU FOLKS for putting up a sample on 4shared, as I got really curious and had no other way to hear what you were talking about.

Anyway, my response is more or less in line with the Angry Video Game Nerd: "WHAT was he THINKING??" Goodness, that sounds atrocious! "CLACK! CLACK! CLACK! CLACK! CLACK! CLACK! CLACK! CLACK! CLACK! CLACK! CLACK! CLACK! CLACK!" If Mike had buried it under the mix a little more, to make it sound like it's just there, instead of ramming it down your ears, it could have worked, but... urrgh! As Saramago would write it, "Men, forgive him, for he knows not what he has done".

"Playing Roxanne but sloppy" is a hilarious way to describe it. Jim made my day.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2011, 14:41

Quote (nightspore @ Jan. 11 2011, 23:28)
Thanks, Ugo. I wish the concerts I'd attended had been in a reverent silence. Alas, the mere site of the conductor's baton tends to provoke fits of coughing!

Ahh, yes, the coughing. It even seems like there is a written law saying that someone MUST cough during a performance. Has any composer already written a Concerto for Coughing Audience and Orchestra already? Someone should. But that wouldn't be as bad as the time a piece was interrupted by a ringing cell phone, twice! TWICE!! The conductor had to restart the piece TWICE because of a ringing cell phone! And that was a special night, as I had invited my mother and my started-dating-two-days-prior girlfriend to go along.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2011, 20:46

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Jan. 12 2011, 14:41)
Quote (nightspore @ Jan. 11 2011, 23:28)

Ahh, yes, the coughing. It even seems like there is a written law saying that someone MUST cough during a performance. Has any composer already written a Concerto for Coughing Audience and Orchestra already? Someone should. But that wouldn't be as bad as the time a piece was interrupted by a ringing cell phone, twice! TWICE!! The conductor had to restart the piece TWICE because of a ringing cell phone! And that was a special night, as I had invited my mother and my started-dating-two-days-prior girlfriend to go along.

You start to wonder whether postmodernism arose precisely so that those intrusive noises can be skipped over. ("It's OK - they're part of the work!")  :laugh:
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2011, 07:20

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Jan. 12 2011, 19:25)
As Saramago would write it, "Men, forgive him, for he knows not what he has done".

Amen.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2011, 07:24

Quote (wiga @ Jan. 13 2011, 07:20)
Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Jan. 12 2011, 19:25)
As Saramago would write it, "Men, forgive him, for he knows not what he has done".

Amen.

...And with that Wiga and Sir M sail off into the sunset aboard the Santa Maria. Peace on earth! :laugh:
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2011, 11:54

Ha haaaa! - that joke is wearing a bit thin now Nightspore.

Mustapha and I would like to make a statement requesting that our privacy be respected at this time - and that we be allowed to get on with the rest of our lifes, peacefully, away from public intrusion.

;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2011, 12:27

Those folks who keep meddling with our private affairs... when will they ever learn? :)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Jan. 13 2011, 13:16

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Jan. 13 2011, 17:27)
Those folks who keep meddling with our private affairs... when will they ever learn? :)

You're in Brazil SirM, surely that makes it a Foreign Affair.....

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2011, 14:58

It's new territory
For an intimate story.
Ali goam par la mare
A Brazilian with hair  :O
I love happy endings.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2011, 17:30

And after saying "Je t'adore" to Scatterplot too!
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2011, 17:46

And WE foolishly thought WE were her favorites :laugh:
Ali goam par la mare
Is there enough Wiga to share ;)
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2011, 05:10

Quote (milamber @ Jan. 13 2011, 17:46)
And WE foolishly thought WE were her favorites :laugh:
Ali goam par la mare
Is there enough Wiga to share ;)

Her?

Says on page 1, he.

Both? Trans (not the Neil Young one), or??

Sorry I asked.
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2011, 19:00

I think the 12:12 part is perfectly calculated by Mike.  It's a bit like the slightly out of time and perceivably un-structured piano notes in the thunderstorm section of Part 2.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2011, 05:32

"And after saying "Je t'adore" to Scatterplot too!"

Well, thank you! Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2011, 07:43

Quote (Scatterplot @ Jan. 23 2011, 05:32)

Well, thank you! Jim

Actually, Wiga has gone away for a few days. Perhaps expect a knock on the door, Scatter?  :)
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2011, 05:40

Its undoubtedly really noticeably different from the original...(no shit Sherlock) sounds a bit like a loose component on a wheel, or those annoying click clack things kids used to put in the spokes of their push bikes...lollysticks, that it....twanging against the metal spokes...

I still like it...its just different....wouldnt be much point in buying it if it was exactly the same would it? apart from making Mr O even richer...
Profile PM 
Cudsie Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2011, 08:30

It does work better in the 5.1 mix.

Its still annoying but it seems to make more sense in the overall soundscape of the piece.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2011, 11:23

Quote (Scatterplot @ Jan. 23 2011, 10:32)

Well, thank you! Jim

You're welcome Jim. Get mixed up with my tus and vous. :/

Btw, you need to go collect your 'Where Are They Now' award. We thought you were lost.  :)

As for the 12:12 incident, it still doesn't get any better. "CLACK!" x13.  :/

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2011, 12:53

I'm not sure I understand the meaning of that reply. We require language equivalency. However my original oppinion of the Andy Summers strum stands.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
87 replies since July 03 2010, 02:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net