Drealm Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 10 2010, 07:48

Quote (milamber @ Sep. 09 2010, 01:59)
This is the part in question yes?

The HR Mystery
Sounds Incidental :laugh:  :p

It is not.

To be very precise, the incident begins at 12:15/12:16.

It's the new sound that is added mostly in the left speaker that was not there before.

Here it is:

The 12-12 incident.mp3

By the way, it's better using 4shared.com to make people hear a sample, there is no waiting time plus you can listen to it without downloading it.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 10 2010, 21:18

Thanks Drealm :D

Alternate Mix.
"THE INCIDENT" :)
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2010, 02:53

Quote (Bell Boy @ Sep. 09 2010, 02:59)
Whatever it is, its sounds bad and is soooo out of  time.... what was he thinking....

..buggered if I know, *yes*, buggered if I know. :/

Milamber; the voice over in your 'alternative mix' is not bad at all - it doesn't eclipse the bass at least. :cool:

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2010, 03:23

Here's an alternative term - Total Eclipse of the Bass :(  :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2010, 14:55

@ wiga: indeed that Bonnie Tyler song features very little bass. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2010, 22:53

HAve you noticed the trumpet is an octave higher? I think that sounded better higher.

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2010, 00:23

It's a B+

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2010, 20:26

Quote (milamber @ Sep. 10 2010, 21:18)
Thanks Drealm :D

Alternate Mix.
"THE INCIDENT" :)

Good idea!

Drunken hornpipe mixed with the incident: worst than ever! A disease.
Profile PM 
mindphaser Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2010, 03:32

Quote (Bell Boy @ Sep. 09 2010, 08:59)
I think its an clean electric guitar either..Pitch shifted ,by slowing down the tape to record it (This would explain why its so badly out of time)...

Yes, it's actually a "double speed guitar". Just play this part at half speed and you'll hear how the guitar originally sounded. I think the reason why it's so badly out of time is that the whole section was recorded without a click/metronome and the guitar was overdubbed later in the process. At the start there is just the bass guitar and the organ sequence (which is not exactly in time as well) and when this part is played at half speed, the bass notes are so low that you can only guess where the beats are. This strumming ruins the whole section if you'd ask me...

--------------
www.facebook.com/thesiliconscientist
soundcloud.com/the-silicon-scientist‎
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2010, 12:05

Finally got around to listening to your "incident" mp3. Funny I did not notice that severly botched guitar part. I only listened to HR2010 once when I got it. Cued it up just now and the screwed git is mixed even higher than your mp3. Geez that was such an easy guitar part to do, to get botched. Just strumming easily(one way only from the sound, no syncopation), 2 or 3 chords. Why would it be neccesary for MO let alone anyone who plays at an "intermediate" or better level to slow the tape down? But it should not be there at all. Dumb. This was how the boxed version got ruined. Funny I missed it. It just shot from B+ down to D. The Porky Cut rules!
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Michael Hilton Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2010, 20:54

This is the first time I have listened to the new mix and dont really enjoy anything re-hashed, but for whatever reasons , I think " the incident " was deliberate. Cant see Mike stumbling on syncopation.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2010, 11:26

Oh he stumbled allright. I'm in the way of thinking if he had jazzed up his strumming a bit(or a lot) it might have been tighter. But still, what was he thinking when he sat back and lit a smoke and listened to the track? "Oh gee I wanna sound like Andy Summers playing to 'Roxanne' but sloppy"? Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Has Fanny said anything about this in her diary? Well I still like Mike, God bless his aural presence in these gloomy bubble-gum-pop Justin Beaver(the Beav I call him) dominated times. Have a nice day Tubularians.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
TheWalrus Offline

Posted: Jan. 10 2011, 15:38

Hergest Ridge 2010.
I hate it.

There, I said it.

I love Mike's early stuff and Hergest Ridge is a wonderful album; often quoted as being 'pastoral' or 'meditative' etc.

I lay back with eyes closed and let this album wash over me: it is so beautiful; its like floating in the womb with speckles of light occasionally dancing on the surface of calm warm water.

The 2010 remix is harsh. Many of those subtle sparkles, nuances and background textures have been brought to the foreground, jingling, jangling and distracting.

Sad to say, I'm sticking with the last remix.

Which I love.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2011, 03:00

Quote (TheWalrus @ Jan. 10 2011, 20:38)
The 2010 remix is harsh. Many of those subtle sparkles, nuances and background textures have been brought to the foreground, jingling, jangling and distracting.

Hi - The Walrus.

I like how you put it.

I wasn't impressed with the jingling janglig going on at around 12:12.

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2011, 03:25

Quote (Michael Hilton @ Oct. 05 2010, 20:54)
This is the first time I have listened to the new mix and dont really enjoy anything re-hashed, but for whatever reasons , I think " the incident " was deliberate. Cant see Mike stumbling on syncopation.

The idea that Mr O would go to all the trouble of revisiting his early works and not take the trouble to get everything exactly the way he wanted it seems implausible to me. The Incident reminds me of "Punkadiddle". Perhaps the idea was that musical trends will always already leave an inscription on other music, irrespective of time. That would be a poststructuralist reading - sorry Milamber!  :laugh:
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2011, 03:46

Quote (nightspore @ Jan. 11 2011, 03:25)
That would be a poststructuralist reading - sorry Milamber!  :laugh:

well that's blown my brain, and I've not long been awake ( I've got the rest of the day to get though yet!  )....poststructuralist...I looked it up in the dictionary,

poststructuralism |pōstˈstrək ch ərəˌlizəm|
noun
an extension and critique of structuralism, esp. as used in critical textual analysis.
Emerging in French intellectual life in the late 1960s and early 1970s, poststructuralism departed from the claims to objectivity and comprehensiveness made by structuralism and emphasized instead plurality and deferral of meaning, rejecting the fixed binary oppositions of structuralism and the validity of authorial authority.

...and to be honest I still don't know!

Are you saying that Amarok, (which was much later than Hergest Ridge) will be left alone in the future because what we hear on the recording was exactly what the Artist known as Mike intended. Am I over simplifying?

You cannot improve Amarok , it is perfect.

:)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2011, 04:55

Hi bee, I was being silly, because I know the word "poststructuralist" amuses Milamber. But the argument would be that listening to HR now is different from listening to it when it was written, because we're now familiar with punk, and that familiarity must "colour" everything we listen to now. Hence you could say that Mike would have justification for making part of HR sound punk, because we're kind of programmed to have it in the back of our minds anyway.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2011, 18:31

@ nightspore: hitting the nail right on the head again, are we? :cool: Clap-clap-clap, you're really good at these kinds of explanations!! It's like listening to Mozart in Mozart's time and listening to Mozart now. A common mistake in historical movies is having a whole audience in a room sit there in reverent silence while the music plays. That's not how it was in Mozart's time. Back then, people used to have fun and chatter and laugh while a Mozart-led orchestra played in a room, and even in theatres people used to have chit-chat (at a lower volume, obviously) all the way through symphonies and concertos and operas. But then of course there came the 1800s and Romanticism and our way of enjoying classical music changed forever because of that. It's exactly the same situation you are describing. Just replace Mozart with HR, and Romanticism with punk, rock, metal or whatever. :)

@ Michael Hilton: of course the so-called incident was deliberate. To me it's not an incident at all, it's an enhancement. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2011, 18:46

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 11 2011, 23:31)
To me it's not an incident at all, it's an enhancement. :)

Oh no it isn't  - it's a jinging janging and distracting incident. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2011, 20:24

Quote (wiga @ Jan. 11 2011, 18:46)
Oh no it isn't  

The comments apply to pantomime too, Wiga!  ;)
Profile PM 
87 replies since July 03 2010, 02:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net