Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hello From Australia, Old Fan, First Post< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tattoo Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: May 18 2014, 02:59

Hi everyone.  My name is Chris, I am nearly 52 years of age, and have been a huge Mike Oldfield fan since the 70's when a close friend introduced me to Tubular Bells.  I fell in love immediately, and went on to buy every available LP, single, VHS, CD, Laserdisc & DVD since, and a couple of bootlegs!

I have a tattoo of Tubular Bells on my upper left arm, just above a "Dark Side Of The Moon" tattoo.  That is how dedicated, or crazy, I am.  

Unfortunately I have never had the pleasure of seeing Mike live as he hasn't performed here in Melbourne Australia.  I recently saw "Tubular Bells For Two", a show performed by 2 very talented musicians from Sydney who are now touring the world with their show.  If you ever get a chance to see the show, do so, they are very clever.

I have been browsing this site for what seems like a few years now, using it to keep up with all the news on Mike, and feel I should become a forum member/ contributor.  I hope to make some like-minded friends from around the world on here.  :)
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 18 2014, 17:25

Hi Chris, welcome to the forums!

I have also never seen Mike live, best opportunity was the TBII premiere in Edinburgh which is near where I live but I was away on holiday at the time. Remember listening to it live on the radio waiting for a ferry :)

I've seen TB42 a couple of times at the Edinburgh fringe. Just stunning how well they interpret the album!

Anyway, hope you enjoy tubular.net.

Matt

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
qcfoetus Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 18 2014, 23:41

Hi, and welcome!
Your experience is fairly similar to mine. I'm three years older than you and first discovered Mike's work in 1973. A revelation (...it's a discotheque!;)
I was fortunate enough to see Mike live once, in April 1982, on his only visit to Montreal during the Five Miles Out World Tour. A friend was supposed to join me, and I waited forever for his go-ahead signal to purchase the tickets. As a result, I ended up in the last row of the second balcony of the concert hall, not far to where the pigeons were nesting (well, almost). And to top it off, my friend changed his mind, so I ended up going alone. Still, the show was very nice.
Anyways, hope you enjoy the forums!
Profile PM 
Tattoo Offline

Posted: May 19 2014, 05:12

Thanks Matt & qcfoetus.   My wife was born in Aberdeen.  We visited there a few years ago and drove down to Edinburgh.  I couldn't believe that the TBII concert was performed in the carpark outside the Castle, as it looks so much larger on the video!  :D
Profile PM 
MadTheDJ Offline

Posted: May 19 2014, 17:59

Welcome, Chris!

I've never seen Mike live, either, though like you I'm an avid collector and even wrote a book about it, a Chronology that also looks at the many alternate versions, edits, mixes, etc. which Mike and/or the record companies released over the years. The link is below in my signature.

Youtube has become a great source for clips and tv appearances not yet formally released (or they were and are now out of print).

Cheers!

--------------
Buy The Mike Oldfield Chronology book at: http://tinyurl.com/klyfvuc
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: May 20 2014, 06:15

Quote (Tattoo @ May 19 2014, 05:12)
I couldn't believe that the TBII concert was performed in the carpark outside the Castle, as it looks so much larger on the video!  :D

"in the carpark"... I think you'll find that's The Esplanade and it's a fair bit bigger than it might look.  The Edinburgh Festival hold their world-famous military tattoo there every year.  I'm guessing it may have been with this in mind that Mike named the bagpipe-laden track (never one of my favourites) "Tattoo"?

Pedantry and trivia aside, welcome to the message boards!
Profile PM WEB 
Tattoo Offline

Posted: May 28 2014, 04:13

Thanks Platinumpty.  And yes, calling it a carpark was very "Aussie" of me.  :)  BTW, you're the first person I've met that doesn't like the "Tattoo" track on TBII.   :/
Profile PM 
6 replies since May 18 2014, 02:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net