Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hello everyone, Isn't that charming?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Happy? Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 08 2022, 07:31

Hello everyone!

I've been surfing like surfing and apparently I've fallen right into the Tubular.net. ;)

I live in the Netherlands and born in the late 80s I can't say I have ever experienced Mike Oldfield topping the (Dutch) charts. The first musical encounter with Mike that I'm aware of was either Tubular Bells or In Dulci Jubilo. It may be Tubular Bells because the introduction theme was used in the Dutch children's tv series of Bassie & Adriaan (quite famous in the Netherlands and Belgium). But the first time I heard the name of the artist with his music was definitely In Dulci Jubilo.

As far as I can remember I've always had a strong preference for instrumental music. My father used to have two compact cassettes filled almost entirely with instrumentals. As a child I've listened them again and again for many years until they were totally worn out. But Mike was not on those tapes. In the second half of the 90s my father filled some new cassette tapes with all kinds of vinyl singles to play in the car, mainly during vacation. I remember In Dulci Jubilo was one of those. I can remember that as a child I loved the unplugged part, but found the electric guitar playing disturbing. However, nowadays I like the whole track with all of its intruments.

It must have been 2009 or 2010 that I found the music video of In Dulco Jubilo on YouTube. It was the time that only Vevo had some official music videos and Mike's most other tracks were banned due to copyright issues. Except for Muse. This calming tune from Guitars made me wonder what other music Mike had made besides In Dulci Jubilo and Tubular Bells. Well, that was a lot!

In the beginning I mostly listened to the music from the period 1992 - 2005. Within the wide variety of instrumental music I've always clinged to electronic music. The exploration of Jean-Michel Jarre's music preceded my journey into Mike's. I especially like dance, trance, prog house, chillout and new age, so Mike suites my tastes. But later on, I learned to appreciate and even love the older albums. But most 80s vocal pop songs... no. An important reason: they are vocal. Another important reason: they are too generic.

Which albums and tracks I like is depending on my mood. But I agree what most people on this forum say: the music grows on you. So there's a lot to be (re)discovered. And after reading and digging up information from this forum, I finally decided to register. Isn't that charming? ;)

--------------
I'd rather be... happy?
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 09 2022, 04:35

Welcome to the forum, it's always great to hear how people found this amazing music from the genius Mike Oldfield. If you haven't heard all the albums yet, I would advise taking your time, and really appreciate each one, they all have there merits, and repeated listening to very worth while, for me Amarok is the pinnacle.
Profile PM 
1 replies since April 08 2022, 07:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net