Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Hear me play!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
miar Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 10 2009, 19:32

Not MO covers, but of other musicians/bands I love.

MO covers is under construction... others as well :)

PS: In lack of good recording equipment, the mp3-files is not in the best quality... It's all recorded whit an Zoom H2.

Prelude - Eddie Jobson cover.mp3]Eddie Jobson - Prelude (cover)

Firth of Fifh Intro (Genesis cover).mp3]Firth of fifth Intro - Genesis (cover)

Mood for a Day.mp3]Steve Howe - Mood for a Day (cover)

--------------
Mia
---------------
Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: May 10 2009, 20:30

:/ Hey ! Miar ! There's a problem with your links , i can't open or download them , seems there's not files to listen to !
Profile PM 
miar Offline

Posted: May 11 2009, 15:15

Try now :)
The folder I uploaded my files was sat to private.. Now its public.. Hope it works :)
Its works for me..

--------------
Mia
---------------
Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: May 11 2009, 19:53

:) It works now ! Hey , you're very talented you know ? I'm very far and unable to play like that  ! A pity you can't have a better recording !
Profile PM 
miar Offline

Posted: May 12 2009, 14:58

Quote (Tubular Tos @ May 11 2009, 19:53)
:) It works now ! Hey , you're very talented you know ? I'm very far and unable to play like that  ! A pity you can't have a better recording !

Thanks!... but I have heard your songs on your soundclick-page.. I really like what Im hearing. Electronic/Ambient music is fantastic. Im a huge fan of Jarre and so on myself.. I actually going to see Jarre perform here in Oslo tomorrow!

I will set up an real home recording studio with Ableton Live when I move out in a couple of weeks.. I then hope to record something in better quality as soon as possible. I have so much music in my head I need to get recorded :)

--------------
Mia
---------------
Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: May 12 2009, 16:57

;) Yes you're right ! Record all the music you have in your head , it's the better way to keep it in mind and if you can't do something good with it now , don't delete them , wait a bit more and you'll see that you can always doing something later with your olds attempts .  I work like that , i've always a lot of WIPs on my sequencer .

:O Oh ? I'm surprised you've analysed my music in a way more closer to Jarre than Mike ! Anyway thank you for dropping by my music websites !

Maybe you also know the music of Wim , a compatriot !  ;)

http://www.myspace.com/ketil72

Live is not easy for me , i use Orion from Synapse audio software ; not expensive and very intuitive soft ! You should have a try !
Profile PM 
miar Offline

Posted: May 12 2009, 18:21

Synapse I have used a lot back in school.. so that program I know very well.. A great program :)

I think your music is inspired a lot by Jarre.. but Mike is also there.. hehe :)

--------------
Mia
---------------
Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: May 12 2009, 19:49

:)  Really amazing because i've never listened to his music so much as i listen the music of Mike all the days ! I have an old (and lost somewhere in my home) tape recording of a Best of of him , also an old lp vinyl of The Magnetic fields but that's all ! I've never been interested by him , i like his music of course but not like the music of Mike . And i could say maybe i am more influenced by Tangerine dream music than the music of JMJ . You know , as i'm not a real musician and as i make all my music by ear , it's easier for me to play with my computer ( and i can have access to a lot of virtuals instruments if they are not expensive). I try to play guitar like him but only for some short melodies and with a lot of effects to imitate his guitar sound . I'm happy since the day i've bought my Cort , i can get a better sustain and it sounds better and i'm a bit less out of tune .
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 13 2009, 00:59

Quote (miar @ May 10 2009, 23:32)
PS: In lack of good recording equipment, the mp3-files is not in the best quality... It's all recorded whit an Zoom H2.

Until you manage to get your studio set up, perhaps I can give you a bit of a hand there...

I've used the H2 quite a lot; I didn't get mine for recording music with really, but I have experimented with it a little bit out of curiosity. It certainly doesn't contain the best microphones I've ever used and it does have a few limitations, but use it wisely and I think it can produce surprisingly good recordings.

Maybe you've come across this information before but in case you haven't, the gain control isn't quite what it seems - the L/M/H switch on the side is the only real control there is, the on-screen level control just adjusts the level digitally. If you get problems with it distorting because the input signal is too high, adjusting the L/M/H switch is the only way to stop it - using the digital level control will just take the same distorted signal and make it quieter.

The main thing is placement, really. I find the mics are a bit grainy and aggressive sounding, but that's in comparison to mics which cost a heck of a lot more than the H2 (or even several H2s...) - you ought to be able to get something that's at least reasonably clear sounding out of it.

For the guitar, I'd recommend putting the H2 right in front of it. Using the funny little handle to attach it to a mic stand can be helpful in getting it into the right place, but putting it on a table can work ok too, if you've got one that happens to be the right height (or stand it on something lower, like a stool, then put a stack of books on top of that to get it to the right height).

For the piano, you could try standing it on the rim just by the lid prop, pointing towards the hammers. Having a mic stand for it so you can angle it down towards the strings more would help there (you may find you want to move it a bit further away from the piano too...it really depends on the instrument and on the room - at the end of the day, you'll have to let your ears be your guide). Doing that would also stop vibrations from the piano from being transmitted through the H2's body - something which might not sound too great. You could of course also always try putting a pad of neoprene or foam of some sort between it and the piano.
A crazy thought - try gaffer taping it to the inside of the lid, then using the short prop to keep it open (heck, try the long one too...). It might sound awful (colourations from reflections into the back of the mics from the lid might be a problem...and it might just be too close to the strings) but it could sound great - you'll have to try it and see! Be careful not to do anything that's going to rip the finish off, of course (perhaps a better one to try on a modern polyester-finished instrument than one with a lacquer finish...and I'd say it's definitely a bad idea on a shellac finish...but you'll probably know better than I do about how gaffer tape resistant your piano is).

Anyway, all that said...nice playing! Definitely worth spending some time recording yourself well, you've definitely got talents that are worth sharing with the world :)
Profile PM 
miar Offline

Posted: May 13 2009, 18:39

Quote (Korgscrew @ May 13 2009, 00:59)
Quote (miar @ May 10 2009, 23:32)

Until you manage to get your studio set up, perhaps I can give you a bit of a hand there...

I've used the H2 quite a lot; I didn't get mine for recording music with really, but I have experimented with it a little bit out of curiosity. It certainly doesn't contain the best microphones I've ever used and it does have a few limitations, but use it wisely and I think it can produce surprisingly good recordings.

Maybe you've come across this information before but in case you haven't, the gain control isn't quite what it seems - the L/M/H switch on the side is the only real control there is, the on-screen level control just adjusts the level digitally. If you get problems with it distorting because the input signal is too high, adjusting the L/M/H switch is the only way to stop it - using the digital level control will just take the same distorted signal and make it quieter.

The main thing is placement, really. I find the mics are a bit grainy and aggressive sounding, but that's in comparison to mics which cost a heck of a lot more than the H2 (or even several H2s...) - you ought to be able to get something that's at least reasonably clear sounding out of it.

For the guitar, I'd recommend putting the H2 right in front of it. Using the funny little handle to attach it to a mic stand can be helpful in getting it into the right place, but putting it on a table can work ok too, if you've got one that happens to be the right height (or stand it on something lower, like a stool, then put a stack of books on top of that to get it to the right height).

For the piano, you could try standing it on the rim just by the lid prop, pointing towards the hammers. Having a mic stand for it so you can angle it down towards the strings more would help there (you may find you want to move it a bit further away from the piano too...it really depends on the instrument and on the room - at the end of the day, you'll have to let your ears be your guide). Doing that would also stop vibrations from the piano from being transmitted through the H2's body - something which might not sound too great. You could of course also always try putting a pad of neoprene or foam of some sort between it and the piano.
A crazy thought - try gaffer taping it to the inside of the lid, then using the short prop to keep it open (heck, try the long one too...). It might sound awful (colourations from reflections into the back of the mics from the lid might be a problem...and it might just be too close to the strings) but it could sound great - you'll have to try it and see! Be careful not to do anything that's going to rip the finish off, of course (perhaps a better one to try on a modern polyester-finished instrument than one with a lacquer finish...and I'd say it's definitely a bad idea on a shellac finish...but you'll probably know better than I do about how gaffer tape resistant your piano is).

Anyway, all that said...nice playing! Definitely worth spending some time recording yourself well, you've definitely got talents that are worth sharing with the world :)

Thanks a lot for the comment.. but I allready know this very well (I studied sound engineering at school) .. Its what I`ve been doing, but I still get crappy recordings.
I think the H2 itself is the problem.. Its not good at all..
Im never satisfied with the recordings...

Soooo.. I really REALLY looking foreward to move out in the end of this month, get a new computer and set up an own home-recording-studio :D

--------------
Mia
---------------
Profile PM WEB 
miar Offline

Posted: May 13 2009, 18:51

Two new songs.. classical music :)
Recorded in studio at my school 3 years ago.
Piano used: Steinway Grand  model D.

Mozart - Sonata - Mia.mp3]Mozart - Sonata in C, K.545 - played by Mia

Fantasie-Impromptu in Cm.mp3]Chopin: Fantasie-Impromptu in C sharp minor - played by Mia

--------------
Mia
---------------
Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: May 14 2009, 04:05

:O  ;)  Simply beautiful ! You're very talented ! What a velocity on piano ! I would like to see you playing your piano , just to see your " playing mimics " and " feeling " ! You're young Miar so life is ahead of you ! I hope you all the best !
Profile PM 
miar Offline

Posted: May 14 2009, 17:12

Quote (Tubular Tos @ May 14 2009, 04:05)
:O  ;)  Simply beautiful ! You're very talented ! What a velocity on piano ! I would like to see you playing your piano , just to see your " playing mimics " and " feeling " ! You're young Miar so life is ahead of you ! I hope you all the best !

Thanks!

I want to make some video-recordings as well someday.. hopefully as soon as possilbe :)

--------------
Mia
---------------
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 15 2009, 22:09

Quote (miar @ May 13 2009, 22:39)
Thanks a lot for the comment.. but I allready know this very well (I studied sound engineering at school) .. Its what I`ve been doing, but I still get crappy recordings.

Soooo.. I really REALLY looking foreward to move out in the end of this month, get a new computer and set up an own home-recording-studio :D

Sorry, I don't mean to patronise or anything...I just get carried away easily...

It's puzzling, that's all I can say! Mine produces a far more 'forward' kind of classical guitar sound - I'll PM you a sample. I'd actually not be totally surprised if their manufacturing tolerances are so low that no two units leave the factory sounding the same. Count yourself lucky you don't live anywhere near me - I'd already have taken it to bits by now if you did ;)

I'm sure there are countless things that could go wrong with the thing, actually...still, it makes a nice little thing to stuff in a coat pocket, for whipping out and recording 4 channel ambience tracks in unlikely places. I made a little fur windshield for mine, which happened to make it look like a baby racoon. It eventually escaped somewhere between Berlin and Cologne; there may be a colony of them breeding somewhere by now.

Anyway, back on topic...those latest two recordings you've posted are lovely, your skill really comes across well there. I particularly like the feeling of openness in the slower parts of the Fantasie-Impromptu. The piano really sings there and I like that very much.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: May 16 2009, 12:08

Wow, really good. :O  :) I just downloaded the Firth of Fifth cover. Excellent!! Did you learn it by ear or do you have a transcription of it?
You're very talented. Do you compose your own music as well?
Profile PM 
miar Offline

Posted: May 16 2009, 12:27

Quote (Korgscrew @ May 15 2009, 22:09)
Quote (miar @ May 13 2009, 22:39)

Sorry, I don't mean to patronise or anything...I just get carried away easily...

It's puzzling, that's all I can say! Mine produces a far more 'forward' kind of classical guitar sound - I'll PM you a sample. I'd actually not be totally surprised if their manufacturing tolerances are so low that no two units leave the factory sounding the same. Count yourself lucky you don't live anywhere near me - I'd already have taken it to bits by now if you did ;)

I'm sure there are countless things that could go wrong with the thing, actually...still, it makes a nice little thing to stuff in a coat pocket, for whipping out and recording 4 channel ambience tracks in unlikely places. I made a little fur windshield for mine, which happened to make it look like a baby racoon. It eventually escaped somewhere between Berlin and Cologne; there may be a colony of them breeding somewhere by now.

Anyway, back on topic...those latest two recordings you've posted are lovely, your skill really comes across well there. I particularly like the feeling of openness in the slower parts of the Fantasie-Impromptu. The piano really sings there and I like that very much.

No problems :)

Im glad you liked it :)

--------------
Mia
---------------
Profile PM WEB 
miar Offline

Posted: May 16 2009, 12:29

Quote (Syd B @ May 16 2009, 12:08)
Wow, really good. :O  :) I just downloaded the Firth of Fifth cover. Excellent!! Did you learn it by ear or do you have a transcription of it?
You're very talented. Do you compose your own music as well?

Everything I do is learned by ear. I do read sheet music, but I prefer learining by ear. Its much faster and easy for me :)

I hope to record some of my own material as soon as I got my recording studio up on its feet :)

--------------
Mia
---------------
Profile PM WEB 
miar Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2009, 18:29

Okay.. every track I have recorded so far in my life is avalible for those who want to take a listen here: http://progrock.ning.com/profile/Mia

Its not the best recordings due to lack of good equpiment, but this has changed the last moth, so I hope to make some more recordings as soon as possible :)

--------------
Mia
---------------
Profile PM WEB 
17 replies since May 10 2009, 19:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net