Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Haydn's Farewell Symphony, Instruments say Farewell, not Hello< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 23 2019, 03:42

I thought I'd remarked on this way back when, but apparently not... Anyway, I was listening to Haydn's Farewell symphony yesterday: it's the one where in the final movements the orchestral forces gradually diminish as the players get up and leave (apparently they were overdue for a holiday). It struck me that Mike may have been inspired by this to do the reverse: have instruments announce their arrival. Just a thought!
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: July 25 2019, 08:33

Interesting idea, I have just watched a performance of this on YouTube, it is very unusual to watch people just stop playing and walk of stage. I like it though. Just need an MC. "Cello leaving the stage" "Violin leaving the stage" and so on :)
Profile PM 
shenry Offline

Posted: July 25 2019, 12:00

Not directly connected, but this reminds me of the particular instructions to the orchestra in the original score to Holst's Neptune, The Mystic from the Planets Suite.

The choir (who have been silent for the preceding six movements in the suite) are instructed to sing from an adjoining room - so the audience can't see them and the voices appear to be floating out of nowhere. Then as the movement reaches its slow, quiet conclusion, there is an instruction to gradually close the door to the adjoining room, until the choir can no longer be heard.

Effectively, it's the first musical "fadeout" in history!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 25 2019, 20:17

I didn't know that! I think The Planets also anticipated the album market, with "Jupiter" the very obvious first single! :D
Profile PM 
3 replies since July 23 2019, 03:42 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net