Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Have you had your RTO?, A personal response to the new album< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
sparkymarkyb Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 04 2017, 08:05

(spoilers alert: If I hadn't listened to this album at least once, I wouldn't want to read this post)

Well well, well... what have we here?

Yesterday afternoon I listened to RTO for the first time. I had been waiting for an opportunity to give it a proper listen since the CD arrived in my post box last week. I have been working rather too many hours recently, and 45 minutes of "me-time" has been hard to come by.

At first, I have to say that I am... baffled. In, perhaps, a good way. Puzzled might be the better word. Since that first listen, I have hardly dared play the CD again, instead reading my way through the various responses and reviews, here, on MO's rapidly expanding "closed" Facebook group, and across the web, in a vague attempt to understand what it is I have experienced, before trying again. This post is an attempt to try, through writing, to work out my response to that first-time listen before putting the album on for the second time.

First, a bit about me: Although this is my first post on this forum, I admit to lurking here quite a bit on and off over the years. I am the sort of MO listener for whom it began with a few old tapes in my dad's collection (first 4 albums, probably bought by my dad in the mid-'70s, for "local interest" as much as anything, as we are from Herefordshire) grew rapidly into fandom when I bought the Let There Be Light CD single at a reduced price in about 1995, and I was subsequently blown away by SODE, confused by Crises, and gradually completed my collection from there, with Amarok forming an explosive pinnacle when I discovered it at the age of 16 in early 1998. In the run up to every album release since Voyager, I have been holding my breath with anticipation.

Typically with a new MO album I wait until I have a dark space and solitude in which to experience it, usually with headphones. The notable exception to this was TBIII, for which my first listen was actually AT Horseguard's Parade that magical evening ("brings a whole new meaning to Man in the Rain!")

The majority of first listens to recent albums have been somewhat anticlimactic, but in most cases I have grown to enjoy most of the music in at least some capacity. MOTR is less my cup of tea than MOTS, but I can find something of interest in almost every song / album.

So yesterday afternoon, almost ready to douse my typically high expectations, I installed myself flat on my back wearing my best headphones, and pressed the play button.

The subsequent feelings varied substantially in type and intensity: I found myself oscillating between a multitude of feelings, some of which I will try to express here:

- There was intrigue in the composition - what's this sound? why is there so much of that one? how did that bit get there? My musically analytical mind was working overtime trying to figure it out.

- There was frustration that the main riffs pulled and adapted from Voyager and Ommadawn didn't quite resolve in the way that I wanted them to.

- There was relief that here was, indeed, another long-form Mike Oldfield album, entirely new work, and here I was listening to it.

- There was disappointment that in some ways this sounded/felt a bit like another Guitars or Voyager or Tres Lunas in that it lacked the bite (and a lot else) of Amarok, the flow of SODE, the intelligent fun of the Tauruses etc, the innocent expertise of the early works and the ethereal soundworld of the tracks Crises and The Lake...

- There was the nagging feeling that this felt and sounded almost like an amateur fan-made knockoff Oldfield-inspired remix/home recording... Clearly, this is Oldfield music, but with all the right bits in all the wrong places. It almost seems as if this is Oldfield parodying Oldfield - as if the man he is now is not the same person as the kid he was and he's trying to emulate him...

The concept and implementation of RTO has many similarities to another recent unexpected yet long-awaited musical sequel, Pink Floyd's The Endless River. TER also harks back to many other works in PF's repertoire, and doesn't quite get where those works did, but sort of works nonetheless, while giving me a mild sense of having had my expectations slightly too high.

Another feeling with RTO was that here was Mike, sitting in the same room as me, playing his acoustic guitar, which was all very nice, well-recorded, a raw, intimate sound, but there was another Mike sat at a computer punching keys to cue samples of his electric guitar (does anyone else feel like these are clunkily slapped in there, as if Copy+Pasted?) - and there was another Mike over by the window, playing a hundred ethereal flutes with the same verve as the More Cowbell guy (Will Ferrell, here: https://vimeo.com/55624839 ). Is this all haphazardly slapped together, or am I naïvely under-reading the overall intelligence? Isn't all of Mike's music simply cobbled together, and the cohesion simply comes from familiarity by repetitive listens? But I don't remember feeling this deflated, or even this confused, after my first listen to Amarok.

Also... Where is the Silence? Where is the Space between the notes?!

And Then... Suddenly, almost out of nowhere, a few minutes into Side 1 (I can't say how many) there was a kind of explosion within me: a mixture of extreme relief and bottled up emotion that bubbled up within me, conglomerated as a ball in my throat and quickly had me bawling like a baby. I went with it, let this feeling override the others, became myself entirely a sobbing ball of emotion, settled into an open space of relief and let the rest of the album flow through this new arena of consciousness. This is not the first time I have experienced something of this sort with Oldfield, but never to my knowledge with music I'm hearing for the first time (except perhaps TBIII).

Somewhere near the beginning or middle of Part 2 I must have fallen into some kind of sleep-deprived trance-like state, because the next thing I remember consciously was a jaunty fun little music, and then Mike's voice teasingly critiquing his own 1974 naïvety, "... horseback? I'd rather be..." and the whole thing coming to a close in not quite the anticlimax of Guitars, but nothing approaching the trip-out of TB&TBII, the expertise of TB3, the cathartic mayhem of Amarok, or the out-of-body-experience of SODE. I think even the understated fades of Hergest Ridge or Mont St. Michel work better than this half-way-house sort-of-climax.

So more slight disappointment, at the end, but at least the fun has returned, and there remains that awesome uncontrollable visceral reaction that this album took me to.

Reflecting on this, while reading the mixed reviews, thinking about how I reacted to this, and reacting to what I thought about it, I have come to the following conclusion:

RTO is not Music... RTO is ... Medicine!

This is some sort of magic potion that the witch-doctor Mr. Oldfield has cooked up to help the world (i.e. the physical and emotional body) process any harm/tension/untoward-states-of-being, and distilled into a format that bears an uncanny resemblance to the distribution of a musical album. Yes, of course it's music, but that's not the point. It's not so much the music that I am after, but the other stuff.

Many of the other Oldfield albums are medicinal in this way, most notably Amarok, which manages to be music and medicine at the same time. Perhaps all the albums and works of Mr. O contain various balances of musicality and medicine. But while the music of RTO has so far left me somewhat unsatisfied, its medicinal aspects seem to be some of the most potent yet!

I fully admit that one listen is nowhere near enough for a proper appreciation of this.
Undoubtedly, as I listen to this work more and more, and as the earworms install themselves, my views will change - perhaps I will express them here, but at the moment, I don't yet know whether RTO will become for me more of a Millennium Bell/Light&Shade (somewhat disappointed, listen occasionally) or more of a Hergest Ridge/Incantations (intrigued, look forward to listening, find more on every listen). It doesn't seem to be up with Amarok and SODE, and is a very different beast from any of the Bells works, but I somehow feel myself wanting to partake of it again...

It seems Medicine can be addictive...

:laugh:
Profile PM 
sparkymarkyb Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2017, 17:42

Argiers!! I've just listened to the Steve Wright excerpt for the first time and understood why I've had Argiers on my earworm for the last few days!
(and/or The Path and Pipe Tune)

I think a lot of this is about familiarity...

Listen 2: while washing up / having lunch

i think it's a grower, in the same way as HR, which i used not to like so much.

A couple of "yeah!!" moments..
but also... The passion is there, it just sounds like he's getting distracted by trying to get the timing right.
Profile PM 
sparkymarkyb Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2017, 17:25

I've spent the last few days binge-listening Mike Oldfield's music on random play. The other day, RTO pt. 2 came on. It fit in very well with the rest of the canon, and I found myself accepting it and enjoying it.

RTO Listen 3: (3.5, actually)
I was driving, for work, and had enough time on the journey to play the whole thing through.
The whole thing got me. Had me bawling again. Pretty much all the way through. I'm starting to understand the music as well now. There's so much in there, and it's starting to make a whole lot of sense. (I think one thing that caught me out on the first listen was the ornamentation - the notes around the notes that make it uncertain where the music is going. But I am starting to understand it. It's like learning a new language.)

This one's a grower, for sure!
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2017, 05:36

This is a great album, I don't understand why fans who are familiar with all of Mike's albums make their mind up so quickly on the negative side, when they would be the first people to say, you can't judge any Oldfield album on one or two listens, it takes repeated listens for it to sink in, and when it does, you will be HAPPY it has.
Profile PM 
hellegennes Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2017, 05:52

Yeap. That's true. My first Mike album was Voyager, which is so out of place with the rest of his work that when I bought my second Mike album, Hergest Ridge, I was really baffled. I didn't like it at all at first.

I then realised that TB was Mike's and a lot of songs I already loved, from his pop period. We didn't have Internet in the 80's and I was a kid, so I had no idea. Then I gave Hergest Ridge a second chance. Next year I bought everything he had ever written by that point (1998).
Profile PM 
oldfield_fan Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2017, 18:07

I really liked it at first listen, and even more since then.

Some of the melodies are truly beautiful, and others are powerful without being aggressive. It seems from the heart and it stands well on its own merits.

Thank you Mike for another great album!
Profile PM 
qcfoetus Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2017, 15:15

Finally found the time to listen carefully to this new album. Twice so far. Nice, very nice! The end of Part 2 brings tears to my eyes. Strange, I've never had this kind of emotional response to Mike's music before--at least not at such an early point in the listening experience. (Mike's music generally grow on me as it does on many other Tubularians, it appears.) Whatever Mike is expressing through this piece strongly resonates in some way...
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2017, 23:53

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Feb. 07 2017, 05:36)
...they would be the first people to say, you can't judge any Oldfield album on one or two listens, it takes repeated listens for it to sink in...

Yeah but I can't, it makes me cringe too much.  :D
Profile PM 
Erick Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2017, 05:46

:)
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2017, 01:07

Yep. Think so. :laugh:
Profile PM 
Dave in Ledbury Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2017, 08:26

Quote (qcfoetus @ Feb. 09 2017, 15:15)
Finally found the time to listen carefully to this new album. Twice so far. Nice, very nice! The end of Part 2 brings tears to my eyes. Strange, I've never had this kind of emotional response to Mike's music before--at least not at such an early point in the listening experience. (Mike's music generally grow on me as it does on many other Tubularians, it appears.) Whatever Mike is expressing through this piece strongly resonates in some way...

I listened to the album on loop on the first day, while I was working. The first couple of times it was background, but I gradually turned the music up and it was on the third play that I had the emotional response that you, and many others, seem to have had. I blubbed uncontrollably. This album hit an emotional chord like no other I can remember.

I'm numerous plays into the album now. That initial emotional response has diminished a bit now (I must be emotionally numb to it now after so many plays), but the music keeps going around my head constantly - one long ear worm!

--------------
"Dave, I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over...."
Profile PM 
10 replies since Feb. 04 2017, 08:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net