Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Happy Christmas, Merry Jule, etc.!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Dec. 25 2014, 11:06

Hi all,

A Happy Christmas, Merry Jule, Sweet Solstice, etc. and a Fantabulous 2015! Ah....2015....thoughts turn to Ommadawn!

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Starwatcher Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 31 2014, 16:55

Best wishes for 2015 to all members here (and to Mike of course) from me, too.

It's so sad to see that there is almost no more discussion here in this place. Sorry, I'm from the old world and Facebook will never get me...   :/

Many thanks to those who keep this side alive for all that.  :)

--------------
"...but every while I would remember..."
Profile PM 
Starwatcher Offline

Posted: Dec. 31 2014, 16:59

Oh sorry, of course I meant this "site"    :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2015, 21:09

Few of us in "sight" these days... :/  But a very happy New Year to all, especially those as far up as GMT-9, who might read it in time. :D

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Jan. 04 2015, 17:23

Matt *waves*

Part of me thinks there is still a future for forums :) You just don't get the same information from Facebook or anywhere else!

Edit: p.s. a veryy merryXmas and happy new year to all! :)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2015, 11:42

I'm ashamed to say that this the first time I've logged on since June of last year. I hope to remedy that in 2015.

I have to agree with what Starwatcher said about the lack of discussion here, and the apparent preference for Facebook by many of our members (not me I hasten to add). I hope Matt is correct, and there is still a future for forums like ours, but I suspect there may not be. I hope I'm wrong!

Having said that, I'd like to wish you all a very happy and healthy New Year.

Bradnorman

Christine: It's nice to hear from you again and I hope you are well.

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 'That I was used to drive  
And hear the harness jingle  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
Starwatcher Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2015, 14:28

Hi Lee,

I'm fine, thanks, and I hope that you can say the same about yourself... ?  

So a very happy New Year especially to you!  :)

And to everyone else:  Look, it's possible to greet each other without Facebook...     :p

--------------
Profile PM 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2015, 12:12

Hi Christine,

A very happy New Year to you too. :)

I'm okay thanks, and just like you, am surviving quiite well without Facebook and Twitter! :laugh:

Lee

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 'That I was used to drive  
And hear the harness jingle  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 13 2015, 12:10

I think there's definitely a future for forums, and some of them  are still very active - just not this one so much! It seems to me that the issue with Facebook is that things become hard to find very quickly, that it's geared more towards making quick comments and moving on than it is to having (and archiving) long discussions. There are some topics here which people are still adding to after a decade or so! That's also, actually, why I don't totally see eye to eye with forums where, on the one hand people always yell "Use the search facility!" when anyone asks a question, but on the other hand get annoyed when someone digs up an old thread (because they've used the search facility and found something on the topic they want to discuss...) and add to it. Sure, there's a balance, it can be pretty strange and/or annoying when someone goes through and digs up loads and loads of old threads mostly because they were bored, but if someone's got something important to add to an old topic, I think that's where forums become really ideal.

Of course, if there aren't people around to keep the momentum going, things do just die off. I remember how I used to be constantly tending to the forum like a gardner with plants, and I know it was the same for the other admins...but these days I tend towards just dropping by to say hi every now and then. I did have a bit of a flurry of activity last year, when we finally got the database-driven version of the discography out there (which did lead to me beginning to hatch some other Oldfield-related plans along similar lines...), but a lot of the time, I find myself getting pulled in other directions...

Still, there are some anniversaries coming up this year, and a couple of us have been bouncing some ideas around, so perhaps we can get something going which reflects where all of us are right now. Frankly, though I'm sure the people over at Mike Oldfield Personal have fun there, it's quite a long way removed from what I really consider important these days when it comes to music...I feel like there's been an educational aspect to what I've done at tubular.net, or working out what Mike did, how he did it and using that to help myself and others create things ourselves. I'd like it if we can do some things this year which are along those lines, which can maybe have a broader reach and go beyond being just fan worship...

Happy new year to everyone (if I can even still say that in the middle of January ;)), may it bring many fantastic things for all of you!
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2015, 13:22

Mike and Caroline (and probably everybody else in the industry) interact via Facebook rather than, dare I say, better places like here. This is sometimes a little bit tough on us, on me at least. They are about creating short term excitement, impulses, blindly pre-ordering things. Korgscrew explained it well. Maybe we could try to see it as an opportunity, how to bridge Facebook short bursts with the rest of the Internet. For now, Facebook is like a black hole, that Tubular.net approached too closely - if it had a choice.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2015, 15:44

Propellerhead Software closing their forums https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/an-end-of-an-era
Profile PM 
10 replies since Dec. 25 2014, 11:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net