Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Guitars sounding like bagpipes in "Weightless"?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Craig Evans Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 10 2005, 08:28

From about 2:21 to 4:00 in "Weightless" behind the piano chords, bass guitar and the vocals the Sunburst Fender Stratocaster plays a different sound instead of the familiar muted piano-like sound from "The Sentinal" 1:18 to 4:48.  Is this sound in "Weightless" a Great Highland Bagpipe sample from the Roland GK-2A guitar modeling unit?  :)  :)

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
ktran Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2005, 13:38

The GK-2A is a hexaphonic pickup, and has no "modelling" capabilities on its own. The modelling unit you're probably referring to is the VG-8/VG-8EX which was fed an input from the GK-2A pickup. Each string essentially had its own pickup, and this is then fed through a series of digital signal processing algorithms to shape the sound, so no "samples" are involved.

However, the VG-8 modelling unit wasn't introduced 'til 1995/1996.

The sound in the recording is also very much unlike the Guitar-Sounding-Like-Bagpipes sounds of TB/TB2003, both of which were created through different means. It sounds to me more like a clean guitar with single-coil pickups going through a bit of a phaser effect, though I might be completely wrong as well.

EDIT: Now that I've listened again, I think it sounds more like a bit of a double-speed guitar effect.

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2005, 08:24

Quote (ktran @ Sep. 10 2005, 13:38)
EDIT: Now that I've listened again, I think it sounds more like a bit of a double-speed guitar effect.

That is what I was thinking of.  Thankyou ktran  :)  :)

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
2 replies since Sep. 10 2005, 08:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net