Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Great album!, Mike & York did a great job< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Happy? Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 06 2022, 16:35

No in-depth threads concerning this album so far?

Well, Let there be light then.  ;)

1. Let There Be Light
A nice remix of an already great track. Not too different from the original though. The beat has been updated a bit to the past decade and some spacey synths have been added. This gives the track an even more chillout feeling. Plus, the length has increased to 7:35, so even more time to enjoy the sweet sounds of this track.

2. Far Above The Clouds
Although I like TB3, it's not really one of my favourite albums. This remix updates the track to the 2010s with an even more clubby sound. But it doesn't really sound like Mike anymore. For this one I really prefer the original.

3. Ommadawn
This one starts sooo good! The mysterious sounds of the choir, the crescendo with synths, guitar and drums... but then the beat drops in around 3:00. And it gets a bit boring. For some minutes the wave-sounding synths swash up and down with some variations and strange sounds, but it takes a bit too long. Around 6:30 finally a new part arises from the waves, but the melodic part is exchanged for swashing synths again after 7:30. Great start, great potential and creative use of the chants, but a bit boring after a while. Unlike the original.

4. Guilty
The original Guilty is a track that I have mixed feelings about. On the one hand it's quite enjoyable, but also a bit repetitive.  This remix is certainly groovy as is the original. But it is as repetitive as well, and almost double as long. Nice remix track to play in the background, but that's it.

5. Tubular Bells
A decent and quite dramatic remix of the introduction of Tubular Bells. It retains the dark mood of the original. After 1:30 minutes of the piano theme the beat drops in and the synths add some more drama. The breakdown around 4:00 has a nice piano variation on the theme. The actual dance track ends around 9:45, but then a short classical piano piece comes in as an intermezzo. I can never decide whether this part should indeed belong to the TB remix or as a prelude to the next track,

6. To France
The folky original has been remixed to a club hit. I really like it, including all the voice effects and laid-back guitar playing. And have I mentioned the uplifting dance sounds between the vocals already? In my opinion one of the best tracks of the album, together with

7. North Star
I really like the original, by far the best Platinum track in my opinion. But this remix is sooo groovy! It takes North Star to a next level. Better than the original? Well, I would say: yes! Not by far, let's be honest, but wow what do I like the groovy beat. And all of the sounds of the original seem to be used. It is really Mike you can hear. The Mike-played instruments are omnipresent and accompanied with a groovy dancebeat. The only downside is that this track is only about 4:00 minutes long.

8. Moonlight Shadow
The Oldfield classic from the 80's has been updated to the 10's. And did they a good job remixing it! I've always found the original a bit dull. It has some catchy melodic hooks, but it sounds so... soft, and not very creative. This remix makes a danceable track out of this classic. The full lyrics have been used and I like the added synths in the chorus that add to the drama of the lyrics. One of the better tracks of this album, great to listen and dance to!

9. Guilty
Yes, another Guilty remix. But this time it's the 'Electrofunk Remix'. This one I find really groovy, unlike the other one. Yes, it's repetitive as well, maybe even more than the other. But it's shorter and a lot more uplifting in my opinion. Suits the disco mood of the original a lot better than the first remix, in my opinion.

10. Tubular Bells 2
Despite the name, it's actually a remix of the Finale part of TB1. Quite boring, it totally lacks the ongoing crescendo of the original. It's very repetitive with some minimal variations. Only worth a spin as background music.

11. Never Too Far
This is the only entirely new track on the album. Although... entirely? The lyrics, sung by Tarja Turunen, come from the track Islands: 'We are islands, but never too far'. It's a really nice chillout track with a hypnotizing piano melody like Tubular Bells, and Mike's calming guitar playing. A track for ultimate relaxation. Close your eyes and enjoy the wonderful music. One of the best tracks, a brilliant conclusion of this album.

All in all, a nice album with some outstanding remixes. If you like electronic dance, that is. There's as always also some mediocre stuff, although Mike and York did a quite good job, in my opinion. But those who appreciate Mike's more recent albums (TB2 up to L+S) are likely to find some gems on this album like I do. :cool:
Those who only stick to the acoustic Mike or the 80's pop Mike can skip this album immediately.  :p

--------------
I'd rather be... happy?
Profile PM 
Legend Offline

Posted: April 07 2022, 02:11

I have it, played it...twice or so. Not my cup of tea though "Never too far" is ok.
But...based on your comments (thanks) I will try to let it spin once more.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 07 2022, 05:00

I only bought the download of Never to Far from this album, as I am not into dance/club music, unless it has lot of new Mike Oldfield guitar then I am not to excited to hear his wonderful music tampered with ;)
Profile PM 
Happy? Offline

Posted: April 07 2022, 05:16

Never Too Far is indeed a track of perfect beauty!  :cool:

But I think most fans would appreciate the North Star remix as well. It's groovy, but not clubby. And quite close to the original. It has mostly the same sounds, but placed and mixed differently. The same goes for Let There Be Light.

--------------
I'd rather be... happy?
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 07 2022, 05:31

Ok, I will check them out.
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: April 21 2022, 22:11

Mediocre? There isnt a mediocre note from the opening to the last beat.  It would easily rank as among the best dance albums ever.  If you like Tubular Beats you should also enjoy the equally good Jarremix (1995) and especially Odyssey through O2 (1998), both by Jean-Michael Jarre with guest remixers.
Profile PM 
5 replies since April 06 2022, 16:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net